Page 11 of 95 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: Ande's Swimming Tips: Swimming Faster Faster

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Swim Faster Faster: Tip 58 Top 10 Strategies (where to get info)

Swim Faster Faster: Tip 58 Top 10 Strategies (where to get info)

Here's where you can get all the info you need to know to figure out where you stand in top 10 rankings and guestimate what it might take wind up in the final official top 10

Here’s where you can search usms top ten lists by
    Course: Year: Gender: & Age Group:
    http://www.usms.org/comp/tt/toptenlist.php

here’s where you can check usms top times for the current year
    http://www.usms.org/comp/toptimes.php
    The closer you are to the deadline,
    the more meets have reports and the more firm the positions.

Be aware of the cut off dates / deadlines

Short Course Yards
    Times must be Performed By May 31
    the Publication Date is September

Long Course Meters
    Times must be Performed By September 30
    the Publication Date is December

Short Course Meters
    Times must be Performed By December 31
    the Publication Date is April

So it makes sense to train hard and compete as close to the cut off as you can, it also makes sense that if you feel great, you're healthy and a meet is in the near future you might change you plans and rest a little more or shave or wear a fast skin to take a crack at the 10

Top 10 page on USMS
    http://www.usms.org/comp/tt/

where to search top 10 by name
    http://www.usms.org/comp/tt/toptensearch.php
    Publication Schedule

Where you can check Fina's Top 10 World rankings
    from the latest year and recent previous years.
    http://www.fina.org/rankingshome.html#MastersTop10

obviously these times are tougher because there's swimmers from all over the world, not just the US. If you are in the USMS top 3 or 4 you stand a decent chance to make the world top 10 list

Ande

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Swim Faster Faster: Tip 59 Cause / Effect

Swim Faster Faster: Tip 59 Cause and Effect

If you want to improve your time in a particular event over a season, it won't fall out of the sky and happen just because you made a wish. We live in a cause / effect world.

Your improvements will happen in direct proportion to the causes you put in place.

The hard work you do,
    the practice times you swim,
    the technique you sharpen into new habits,
    how strong you,
    what you weigh and your body shape,
    how psyched you are,
    how correctly you split the race,
    what kind of suit you're wearing,
    how well you do your technique in the race,

Do the causes, If you want the EFFECTS.

I wish we could just make a wish and click our heels and have our goals be so.

Luck does exist and the harder you work the luckier you're gonna get.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Swim Faster Faster: Tip 60 The Rage to Master

Swim Faster Faster: Tip 60 The Rage to Master

I think I've already asked you
    "How BAD do you want to be good?"

The other day I was watching a news show and they featured Marla Olmstead, a 4 year old abstract painter. So far she's sold around $300,000 worth of paintings and she has a 200 person waiting list to buy her future paintings for over $10,000 a piece.
    http://www.marlaolmstead.com/news08042004.html

The show featured a child psychologist who talked about
    characteristics of child prodigies and one of the things she looks
    for is a "RAGE TO MASTER." Rage to Master is a person's intense
    desire to master what they are passionate about. I saw this
    characteristic when I swam. Some of the people I trained with,
    seemed to want greatness more than I did, they trained harder, some swam way faster and a few went on to set national records, world records, and represent the United States at the Olympics. Some of these people, were incredibly talented with god given ability and others were ordinary people with an incredible drive to become the best.

Tiger Woods had talent and the rage to master golf.

Mozart had the rage to master music and composing.

Rick Carey had a rage to master the backstroke. His parents put him in swimming so he would learn how to lose, he went on to set world records and win Olympic gold medals at Los Angeles in in 1984.

How intense is your RAGE TO MASTER swimming?

If you want to become really great, your RAGE TO MASTER needs to burn strong and long.

How bad do you want to be great and what are you doing about it?

An intense RAGE to Master
    will help you swim Faster Faster.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I appreciate all the comments and feedback y'all send me.
    I love to hear from folks who've tried these tips.

100m LC. I used to visualize my swims Dive, glide, kick, to the surface, swim quality, 1st length, time? preparation for turn, turn, glide off turn, kick, to the surface, quality swim, last 25m gut it out, proper touch. Then up to the starting block and swim the race I visualized. My desire was to win.

George

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries
    cool,
    i bet you still visuallize stuff

what the mind can concieve and believe
    it will achieve

ande

Originally posted by geochuck
    100m LC. I used to visualize my swims Dive, glide, kick, to the surface, swim quality, 1st length, time? preparation for turn, turn, glide off turn, kick, to the surface, quality swim, last 25m gut it out, proper touch. Then up to the starting block and swim the race I visualized. My desire was to win.
    George

Very Active Member Karen Duggan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    In 1996 I had "seen" in my head 1:10.04 several times on the timing board. I swam the 100 breast in 1:10.04 that day! That was really trippy.

I look back and laugh and think I should have been seeing 1:09.99. Stupid, stupid, stupid

I'm a firm believer in visualization.
    K.Duggan

Originally posted by Karen Duggan
    In 1996 I had "seen" in my head 1:10.04 several times on the timing board. I swam the 100 breast in 1:10.04 that day! That was really trippy.

I look back and laugh and think I should have been seeing 1:09.99. Stupid, stupid, stupid

I'm a firm believer in visualization.
    Quick, Dima - visualize a house with kids!
    Go Steelers!

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Swim Faster Faster: Tip 61 Focus on One Event

Swim Faster Faster: Tip 61 Focus on One Event

If you really want to get as great as you possibly can.

Train for one event.

Work to master each aspect of the race.

As you improve in that one event,
    You should improve in your other events as well.

If you train with a team, usually part of each practice is left to each swimmers discretion, they decide what to do.
    Make choices that will help you do your one event better.

My friend Dan Thompson used to train for the 50 fly, he set several records in the 40 - 44 and 45 - 49 age groups.
    His 23.6 50 yard fly time is still quite respectable.

Which one event are you going to focus on?

Ande

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Swim Faster Faster: Tip 62 Plan Your Meet Schedule

Swim Faster Faster: Tip 62 Plan Your Meet Schedule
    (and other meet tips)

Drop by
    http://www.usms.org/comp/calendar.php

and plan your meet schedule for the next season.

Know what meets you're swimming in, especially your focus meet, so you know when to train and when to taper during the season.

I tend to pick meets that are in fast pools and convenient to where I live. I do like to go to zone championships and I've been to a few national championships.

Remember in smaller meets, there's likely to be more warm up space but you'll get less rest between events that are on the same day.

In big meets like Nationals there's less warm up space but you'll get more rest between events.

In big meets, be sure you get the time line so you know when your events are. If your first event isn't till around 2 you may not need to get to the pool till 12 and will be better off resting in your hotel room.

If the meet is outdoors, stay out of the sun and drink plenty of water so you don't get dehydrated.

Nationals is cool because you race the best folks in your age group.

Fast Skin tips

Fast skins really help you swim faster.

If you're wearing a fast skin remember to bring sweats to put over them to stay warm.

Once you put on your fast skin don't take it off till you're done swimming for the day. They are really hard to put on when they're wet.

For comfort you can take them off your shoulders between events.

Fast skins are easier to zip up if you squeeze your shoulder blades together as your volunteer is zipping it up for you.

Once you're done swimming for the day hang it up and let it dry.

I prefer to race my first event in a dry fast skin.
    So I warm up in a regular suit.

If you've never worn a fast skin you might want to wear it a few times in practices to get used to how it feels.

What else?

Very Active Member SwiminONandON's Avatar
    Fast skins will dryout between events if you have a long enough break. One thing I noticed is that my legs were freezing having a cold, wet suit next to them all day. I had several layers including a fleece layer. I really think it was mostly the suit.

I used to be in shape and would swim as many as 30 swim meets a year? Why?

Because you never know when everything will come together, especially for breaststrokers. I used to try to pick meets with deep diving ends, I have never done a great time in a pool like Santa Clara with a 4.5 area under the starting blocks.

I love diving wells and their deep fast water!

I would focus on one main event per swim meet. In throw a-way meets I would swim the 200 yard breast twice. Once going out fast, the other even splitting. You just do not show up at Nationals having swum only one 200 yard breaststroke. I estimate it takes 5-6 meet swims to do it right at Nationals.

If I was not tapered, I would focus on the start, the turns, and technique.
    It's not how fast you swim, it's how fast you slow down.

For competition breaststroke information visit: http://www.breaststroke.info/

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries
    deep starting ends are also important for backstroke starts as well, hitting the bottom of a shallow pool will slow you down

excellent tips wayne, thanks, you could also hit bottom on breastroke pull outs in shallow pools,

eddie reese says that one of the fastest pools in the world is the Diving Well at the UT swim center because it is 12 to 18 feet deep with overflow gutters.

ande

Originally posted by breastroker
    I used to be in shape and would swim as many as 30 swim meets a year? Why?

Because you never know when everything will come together, especially for breaststrokers. I used to try to pick meets with deep diving ends, I have never done a great time in a pool like Santa Clara with a 4.5 area under the starting blocks.

I love diving wells and their deep fast water!

I would focus on one main event per swim meet. In throw a-way meets I would swim the 200 yard breast twice. Once going out fast, the other even splitting. You just do not show up at Nationals having swum only one 200 yard breaststroke. I estimate it takes 5-6 meet swims to do it right at Nationals.

If I was not tapered, I would focus on the start, the turns, and technique.

Originally posted by SwiminONandON
    Fast skins will dryout between events if you have a long enough break. One thing I noticed is that my legs were freezing having a cold, wet suit next to them all day. I had several layers including a fleece layer. I really think it was mostly the suit.
    The FAST SKINS are really freezing when they are wet. If you're in a place that's sort of cold anyway like the Indy Natatorium it's really bad. Fortunately I have several of them now so I warm up in a regular suit and then put on the FAST SKIN. If I have more than one event and at least 30 minutes between events I put on a different one. Last week at Y Nats. I also tried the Arena Powerskin and it actually dried much faster than a FAST SKIN. Interestingly some of my better races were also in the Powerskin...I also never wear them until I get to Nationals or my taper meet UNLESS I am trying to do a best time or a TOP TEN time in an event I won't be swimming at Nationals. This preserves the suits and has allowed me to build a collection...

Originally posted by hrietz
    I also tried the Arena Powerskin and it actually dried much faster than a FAST SKIN.
    Powerskins are water-repellent. They absorb less water and so they dry faster than a "usual" suit.
    "Breaststroke, you see, is in harmony with the universe; its pull and kick chase one another in playfull symmetry."
    "Real swimmers never give up when they feel the pain, they just push harder."
    My PBs

Very Active Member SwiminONandON's Avatar
    I don't think Fastskins or the like should be used in every meet, just the big taper meets... but that's me...

Originally posted by Matthias
    Powerskins are water-repellent. They absorb less water and so they dry faster than a "usual" suit.
    I know but I thought that the FAST SKIN was "water repellent" as well. It evidently must absorb more water. Don't get me wrong I still think that it's a fast suit but I think that I now prefer Arena...

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries
    I just used the word fast skin in a generic way, to indicate that type of suit. I don't really know which type or brand is best. I believe it's a personal preference thing. Right now I use a high neck body suit, I haven't tried the fast skin ii yet but hope to.

I've wondered if water proofing / water repellent spray that you spray on tents would help or hurt performance if you sprayed it on a fast skin?

any one have any thoughts?

Originally posted by hrietz
    I know but I thought that the FAST SKIN was "water repellent" as well. It evidently must absorb more water. Don't get me wrong I still think that it's a fast suit but I think that I now prefer Arena...

Originally posted by ande
    I just used the word fast skin in a generic way, to indicate that type of suit. I don't really know which type or brand is best. I believe it's a personal preference thing. Right now I use a high neck body suit, I haven't tried the fast skin ii yet but hope to.

I've wondered if water proofing / water repellent spray that you spray on tents would help or hurt performance if you sprayed it on a fast skin?

any one have any thoughts?
    I don't think those sprays would to any good to your fast skin. Those sprays could modify the surface of the skin so you won't have the advantages of the sharklike structure on the suit. You might end up with a full suize body suit with just the qualities of a "normal" suit. which needn't to be that bad. I use a Solar Dry Wave suit hasn't got a special surface. it is only water-repellent and only absorbs 1 - 3 % of water compared to it's weight. I performed quite well with it and I bought it because it is much cheaper than the Arena or speedo suits. but in fact i thing the fast skins are really the faster suits compared to the solar suits.
    Last edited by Matthias; April 30th, 2005 at 03:48 PM.
    "Breaststroke, you see, is in harmony with the universe; its pull and kick chase one another in playfull symmetry."
    My PBs

If you really want to experiment with sprays, I would spray a very light spray of camphorated oil on the surface. The oarsmen sprayed this on the bottom of their boats. It breaks down friction and it is banned.

George

hey ande,

as I told you I started the shortend 30 Day Experiment on tuesday. but I've seen hughe improvments since tuesday so I want to tell you about them.
    Today we started with a 16 x 50 Free on 1min into the workout. But my team mates seem to have more lactate endurance than I have. After 10 x 50 Free my arms were burning and I had to stop. While I sat on the deck I saw the lane next to us making timed swims. So after I recoverd a bit I decided to do a 50F because on the first 50 of the workout I happend to swim a 33 something without a start which was already faster then my pb (35.33).
    So I gave it a try and I made a 30.50. Wow. I'm quite happy although I know if I didn't miss the turn I would have been under 30secs.
    After this I was hustled into a 50 breast by my team mates training in that lane. I decided to have some more rest and after they finished their workout I tried it. And once again I set a new PB : 37.88. This is also the new team record for the 50 breast. I'm quite astonished about it as I didn't happen to have a real breast workout since about a month and a half.
    I'm curious if I can improve my times again until my meet in three weeks. Hopefully I hit the turn right and go a 29.

Thanks for your help so far
    Last edited by Matthias; April 30th, 2005 at 04:54 PM.
    My PBs

Page 11 of 95 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast