Page 93 of 97 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697 LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,860 of 1924

Thread: Ande's Swimming Tips: Swimming Faster Faster

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Re: Ande's Swimming Tips: Swimming Faster Faster

What a wonderful collection of inspiring quotes- thanks!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

It reminds me of the statement"How do you get good judgement? Experience! How do you get experience? Bad judgement!"
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Blog Entries

I'm trying to find out if spending $200 on a jammer will be a worthwhile mistake.

One side thinks that for a top 80's position, it wont be worth it. But then I remember all the effort and time I've dedicated to swimming my fastest.

Nevertheless, I need a new suit because my current FSII has been used over 40 times.

But really, is there that much difference in performance between a $100 and $200+ jammer?

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by __steve__ View Post
    I'm trying to find out if spending $200 on a jammer will be a worthwhile mistake.
    One side thinks that for a top 80's position, it wont be worth it. But then I remember all the effort and time I've dedicated to swimming my fastest.
    Nevertheless, I need a new suit because my current FSII has been used over 40 times.
    But really, is there that much difference in performance between a $100 and $200+ jammer?
    Hi Steve,

I do think it's worthwhile to race in a new generation jammer versus the older generations.

I haven't heard of any scientific studies comparing a swimmers' performances in one type or brand of suit versus another. I haven't tested and compared. I wish manufactorers would send me samples to test. I'd be happy to give them feedback and help with designs.
    A well to do friend of mine bought several of the latest tech suits by the top manufactorers and swears Arena is the best by far.

I do think:
    + High waisted & low knee is better than low waist & way above the knee.
    (more coverage is better)
    + Tight is better than loose, but not too tight.
    + New generations are better than old,
    + Newer suits (as in how many times worn) are better than older suits with more wears, (with wears, suits lose tightness (compression) & the fabric is less hydrophobic (float))
    but I'm not sure if any are measurably better. Suits elite pro swimmers wear come down to who is their sponsor.

How bad do you want to be good? What are your goals?
    I'd get a pretty good affordable suit and a really good one.
    Also consider your financial situation & what that sort of expense means to you.

Check out examples of FINA Approved Tech Suits

Swim Faster Faster Index: Updated Oct 17th, 2012

SFF Index PART 2
    Last edited by ande; December 27th, 2012 at 01:29 PM.

Blog Entries

IMO the answer is "who knows?" But regardless of the suit you decide on make sure you get one that fits properly. It should be difficult to get on. If you can just pull it on it's not tight enough.

Age Grouper in Training jaadams1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For me, I wouldn't put out either of those dollar values for a suit. You don't have to have a fast suit to swim fast IMO. If the suit swam fast for you all you'd have to do it throw it in the water.
    Point being is that you still have to put in the practice time, regardless of what you swim for. I can race fast in a $25 anything suit as well, and have proven it. Unless someone's going to sponsor me, I'm not spending half a paycheck for a suit that is "shot" after a dip in the chlorine.
    "Don't be upset by the results you didn't get with the work you didn't do." - K.A. Benthin

Inland NW Top Ten & Records Chair, and Web-Dude
    www.inlandnwmasters.org

Blog Entries

Swim outlet recommended the Arena powerskin XP for long limbed lanky people like me. We'll see.

Re. suits - yes it does make a difference. Quite how much of a difference is debatable - if you believe it will make you swim faster for reasons X (compression), Y (buoyancy), and Z (streamlining), then you WILL swim faster.

Whether its worth it or not depends on how important achieving a PB is to you. I bought an Arena Carbon Pro to ensure that I'd given myself every opportunity to achieve fast times, and to try and break National Records. It didn't make sense to train hard in the pool, on land, and control the nutrition, to then miss out on another opportunity to 'find' some time. I save the expensive suit for special occasions though - when I'm tapered and swimming in fast pools.

You can swim fast in $20 suits, possibly even faster. You can never truly accurately predict when you're body is going to hit peak, and the suit is only a minor contributing factor in overall performance. That said, all things being even, I believe the higher priced Arena suits will give you an edge.
    Last edited by Eaglesrest; November 20th, 2012 at 06:15 AM.

Blog Entries

Got this suit
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ajty6a_008_3.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	3690  

Blog Entries

is there that much difference in performance between a $100 and $200+ jammer?
    Last year's time in the 50fr was 31.09 and wore a midlife FSII. I weighed about 165 lbs.

Yesterday at same meet one year later I split requested a 50(200fr) in 28.59 wearing a low waist TYR ap12 , and today had a solid swim going 28.60 (was slow off the block though). I weigh about the same.

Even though I was much better prepared this time around, I do think the suit had a significant factor, maybe 8 tenths. Going under 30 for 50m has been my goal since I started and was a breakthrough I really needed. It was worth it
    Last edited by __steve__; December 2nd, 2012 at 09:56 PM. Reason: editing damaged grammar from lousy smart phone

Blog Entries

Great job, Steve! Achieving a goal is most excellent!
    ..<))><

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Breastroke A-Cordes to Kevin

On Fri Nov 30th, 2012 Kevin Cordes broke the American Record in 100 Breastroke
    100 BR results

Then on Saturday Dec 1st he broke the 200 BR AR.
    200 BR results
    28.45 53.37
    28.49 1:21.86
    28.87 1:50.73 CR,US,AR

What's remarkable is his stroke count was
    3 4 4 4 4 4 5 6

You can see the race video on USA Swimmings 2012 SCY Nationals page
    then click
    December 1, 2012 AT&T National Championship Finals Day 3 5:00 PM CT
    Then drag the video footage to 2 hours 31 minutes

you can see his 100 BR at
    November 30, 2012 AT&T National Championship Finals Day 2 5:00 PM CT

SFF Index PART 2
    Last edited by ande; December 27th, 2012 at 01:41 PM.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Do you want to swim faster faster?
    Do you really really want to swim faster faster?
    What are you doing about it?
    If you just want to swim faster faster and you're doing nothing to not much about it, improving is just a wish tossed out upon the waters of fate. Wishes are weak.

How bad do you want to be good?
    Where are you now?
    Where would you like to be?
    What's the difference?
    What do you need to do to bridge that gap?

The solutions are simple:
    Improve / perfect your technique, swim more efficiently
    Improve your event specific conditioning
    Train harder further faster more often
    Train with a coach and a group of fast dedicated swimmers.
    Race in a new tech suit
    Improve your vessel / Build a better boat
    Get actually physically stronger

Actually do the event you're trying to improve
    (whatever you do and measure, improves)

Use your brain to:
    believe, set goals, know why you want your goals (reasons), make plans, do your plans, observe outcomes, make adjustments, make great decisions in & out of the pool, get psyched, get inspired, split races correctly, modify your self image, destroy doubt, fight fear, remind yourself, be determined, be intense, be fierce, RELAX, CALM, REST, Sleep, recover, heal

Act as if you already are what you most want to be. You'll start out pretending & if you keep it up, in time, you're likely to discover that you are no longer pretending, you've become what you started out pretending you were.

If you really want to swim faster faster it all boils down to this:

prACTice
    like a champion

Have fun.
    Inspire yourself. Inspire others.
    Use the skills that you developed to make things happen in swimming in other areas of your life.

What else?

You can swim FASTER FASTER

SFF Index PART 2

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Today in practice I swam freestyle behind a swimmer who was also swimming free. His turns didn't look right. They weren't as fast as they could be. As I watched him, I saw the problem and his opportunity. As he turned, he'd splay his arms out from his side around his mid torso area. Then he'd move them all the way back up over his head to streamline.
    I asked him if I could give him a turn tip.
    He said yes.

Then I showed him a few turns, and we talked about the having his hands near his head when he finished flipping so he wouldn't have to move them much to streamline.

His cues were:

1) when you take your 2nd to last stroke (before your turn)
    leave that arm as your side.

2) then take your last stroke, now both arms are at your side.
    (and you're approaching the wall ready to turn)

3) As you flip, move your hands together toward head, pushing water to accellerate your spin.

4) when you finish your flip and your feet hit the wall,
    your hands should be above your head so you don't have to move them much to streamline when you push off

He did it. His turns looked way better. Now comes that hard part.
    Concentrate and do it that way everytime you turn.

Technique mistakes are problems, but they are also opportunities if you correct them.
    Replace your bad habit with a better habit.

What do you need to fix?
    Last edited by ande; January 4th, 2013 at 11:17 AM.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Whoa, Crazy
    I just noticed this thread just passed 400,000 views
    Thank you
    What else should I write about?
    Ande

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ande View Post
    What else should I write about?
    Ande
    I might have one worthy of being on the list. I bought my first fins a couple weeks ago, I never used them before. After drilling and practicing with these things it seems my stroke, kick, and position started to connect properly. I am guessing the lack of connection came from developing my stroke with hidden errors and the fins forced me to drop them. Even though this is just from my observation of feel, more concrete evidence is a recent drop in sprinting time.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Swimming Championships are almost here. The suit you rock in your races can make a big difference in your times. Some suits are faster than others.

Tech Suit Surface
    Even though today's tech suits are textile, you can still benefit because the tech suit surface is often better, faster, and more aquadynamic than shaved skin, especially for older swimmers (with looser skin) & heavier swimmers. Tech suits tend to hold less water within the suit fabric & between the suit and the swimmers skin.

More Coverage
    More covereage is better and I've encouraged male swimmers to push the legal limits for where they wear their suits. (below the belly button and above the knee) In the 2012 Olympics we saw more men racing in high waisted suits.

Compression.
    Compression is just what it sounds like, compressing our bodies into a smaller pace along with compressing and firming up our areas that jiggle. Tech suits wear out with use and time. the fabric stretches and fades. The elastic can break and break down from chlorine exposure. We especially want to compress the largest and widest parts of our bodies, which tend to be our hips, butts, & bellies. Tech suits also provide excellent compression in our upper thighs.
    We want compression and the ability to move well while wearing the suit. It's not a tech suit but I've noticed the fabric in the Speedo Endurance suits seems to be stiffer than lycra suits.

FLOAT
    Tech Suits, especially when dry, provide some float. The rules say they can't, the makers say they don't but they do. Float is a good thing. YOu're higher in the water and benefit from more DPS.

New suits tend to provide better surfaces, compression float, and a more hydrophobic fabric than older suits. The newer tech suits generations tend to be better than the older generations.

Now there's the Gangloff Review where Mark Gangloff tried on several Mens tech suits and wrote his thoughts & comments for each, Trials Finalist Julie Stupp did the same for the women.

Fina Approved Tech Suits

Here's a few more Tech Suit Tips.

Generally you want to go down a size or 2 from your practice suit. My waist is around 35 or 6 & I've worn 30, 32 & 34 jammers.
    If it's too tight you run the risk of it tearing or splitting.

Only wear your tech suit,
    + when you first get it to test if it fits, keep the tags on & trade it out if it's too large or small,
    + once or twice in practice as your big meet approaches and
    + finally right before your races.

If you have a long time between races take it off and let it dry.

Many women between races, undo the tops of their tech suits and wear a tshirt for coverage.

I also suggest, wrapping a towel around your waist or wearing a shirt, sweats or shorts to protect your tech suit fabric. Tech Suits can tear or rip if you catch them on a sharp edge. I ripped one by brushing a bolt in a lawn chair.

Tech Suits are expensive, be careful with them at meets when you're not wearing them. Don't leave them lying around unattended, a few of my friends have had their suits lost or stolen at meets and in locker rooms. If you lose yours, first look around your meet area, back track your steps and locations and check with lost and found.

Consider having a back up tech suit in case your main suit gets damaged, lost or stolen.

You don't have to get a brand new suit, though I do suggest pretty new and no damage.
    You might be able to get a pretty good one for a pretty good price off ebay or from a friend.

FINA Approved Swimwear
    Valid for the period from 01 January 2013 to 31 December 2013 (the List of FINA Approved swimwear for 2014 will be published before December 31, 2013).

Here's the link to the USMS Rules about Suits
    102.12 Swimwear for Pool Competition

Design

A The swimsuits worn for competition shall be nontransparent and conform to the current concept of the appropriate. The referee shall have authority to bar offenders from competition until they comply with this rule.

B Swimwear shall include only a swimsuit, cap(s) and goggles (a nose clip and ear plugs are allowed). Armbands or legbands shall not be regarded as parts of the swimsuit and are not allowed.

C In swimming competitions, the competitor must wear only one swimsuit in one or two pieces. All swimsuits shall be made from textile materials. For men, the swimsuit shall not extend above the navel nor below the knees, and for women, shall not cover the neck, extend past the shoulder nor extend below the knees.

(1) Exemptions to the foregoing restrictions may be granted to a swimmer, on a case-by-case basis, by the chair of the Rules Committee or designee. Exemptions will be granted only for conflicts due to the swimmer’s verified religious beliefs or verified medical conditions.
    (2) Procedures for applying for an exemption will be established by the Rules Committee and posted on the USMS website.
    (3) No exemption to these restrictions will be granted for a swimsuit that will give the swimmer a competitive advantage.
    (4) The decision of the Rules Committee chair may be appealed only to the entire Rules Committee, whose decision shall be final and binding on all parties.

D Only swimsuits complying with FINA swimsuit specifications may be worn in any USMS sanctioned or recognized competition.

E No swimmer is permitted to wear or use any device or substance to enhance speed, pace, buoyancy or endurance during a race (such as webbed gloves, fins, snorkels, neoprene caps, etc.). Goggles may be worn, and rubdown oil applied if not considered excessive by the referee. Medical identification items may be worn. Any kind of tape on the body is not permitted unless approved by the referee.
    We all have to make the best choices for ourselves based on Cost, comfort, durability, fit, performance, & legality. I suggest you try on several and pick one or 2 you like the most. A friend of mine, before he went to the 2012 Fina Masters Worlds, bought and tested the latest generation suits by Tyr, Speedo, Blueseventy & Arena. He swears that Arena was the best. Most of us don't want to or can't spend spend several thousand to figure out which suit works best.

The right tech suit can definitely help you swim faster faster. The right tech suit helps you Build a Better Boat I hope you do, good luck & have tons of fun.

SFF Index PART 2
    Last edited by ande; February 27th, 2013 at 02:31 PM.

Blog Entries

Ande, thanks for that info. Tech suits are totally new to me as I've been out of the water for 15 years.
    "Librarians are hiding something." - Stephen Colbert

Quote Originally Posted by ande View Post
    What do you need to fix?
    Last summer, I found out that I had an improper breast stroke kick and had to relearn how to do that (when it comes to breast stroke and butterfly, I'm completely self-taught). Sadly, I did not correct it in time for Summer Nats and was DQ'd in both my breast stroke events. I've since bought breast stroke fins and have managed to correct my kick. Now I have to build up more muscle and power in it and rework my timing on my stroke so I can get faster.

As I mentioned, I'm also a self-taught butterflyer. Despite swimming with my Masters group last summer and swimming with my kids' age group team last summer and all through fall and winter, the only feedback I've gotten on my fly is compliments from other swimmers. So I had no way of knowing whether or not I was even doing it right (but apparently it looks like I am?). Anyhow, recently an older gentleman at the public pool my husband and I swim at chatted with my husband and said "I notice your wife is a flyer. She's doing pretty good!" it was a really nice compliment (he is a flyer himself) and made me feel all warm and fuzzy. BUT, it gets better! The next time he saw us, he again chatted with my husband and gave some tips for me to improve my stroke. I'm not finishing my stroke past my hips and therefore losing power. He said that if I work on fixing that it should improve my speed and my efficiency on my recovery. So I am working hard on that now.

He also said that if his tip works for me, I owe him some help with breast stroke. Apparently I'm doing that correctly now.
    ~Megan

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

One recent development at the Big 12 Swimming and Diving Conference Championships is by the massage tables, there's now a big ice machine and each school has a large baby pool where swimmers take ice baths to help their race recovery.

Here's some info about them:

WIKI

8 Ice Bath Dos and Don'ts

Ice Baths for Sore Muscles Can Work
    Review Finds Method Effective, but Safety Evidence Lacking

Ice Baths: A Cool Way to Speed Recovery

I've never tried taking an ice bath, many athletes and trainers swear by them, I'm pretty sure that I'd swear while taking one.

Page 93 of 97 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697 LastLast