Page 94 of 95 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495 LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 1896

Thread: Ande's Swimming Tips: Swimming Faster Faster

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Re: Ande's Swimming Tips: Swimming Faster Faster

Recently when I've been doing freestyle turns I noticed I'd flip, put my hands together, then lock my streamline as I was pushing off.
    Lately I've been concentrating on locking my streamline sooner. Doing it before I pushed off, I think it allows to a more powerful push and a longer faster streamline glide.

Pay attention to when you streamline when you do flip turns and attempt to lock your streamline sooner. It may help you swim faster faster.

Swim Faster Faster Index: Updated Oct 17th, 2012

SFF Index PART 2
    Last edited by ande; March 25th, 2013 at 01:42 PM.

Blog Entries

Turns are cool

Quote Originally Posted by sok454 View Post
    And prevent head wounds.
    especially backstroke flags
    Last edited by __steve__; March 23rd, 2013 at 01:40 PM.

Very Active Member

And prevent head wounds.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Breastroke A-Cordes to Kevin

Kevin Cordes has single handedly, no make that single footedly, revolutionized Breastroke. Here's his recent accomplishments at the 2013 Div 1 Mens NCAA Championships in Indy.

Event 6 Men 400 Yard Medley Relay A - Finals

Arizona won, 3:02.09
    1) Friedemann, Mitchell JR 21.95 45.51 (45.51)
    2) r:0.27 Cordes, Kevin SO 1:08.56 (23.05) 1:35.07 (49.56) (26.51) (Kevin split the fastest 100 Breastroke split EVER!!!)
    3) r:0.28 Smith, Giles JR 1:55.55 (20.48) 2:19.93 (44.86)
    4) r:0.05 Shapira Bar-Or,mrod SR 2:39.89 (19.96) 3:02.09 (42.16)

Event 11 Men 100 Yard Breaststroke A - Final
    1 Cordes, Kevin SO Arizona r:+0.74 23.87 50.74 (26.87) he broke the American Record, but his 49.5 relay split leads me to believe he can go much faster.

Then on Saturday March 30th Event 18 Men 200 Yard Breaststroke Preliminaries
    1 Cordes, Kevin SO Arizona 1:49.79
    r:+0.76 24.86 52.82 (27.96) 1:21.27 (28.45) 1:49.79 (28.52)
    He broke his own National Record, it used to be 1:50.93. then

Event 18 Men 200 Yard Breaststroke A - Final
    1 Cordes, Kevin SO Arizona
    r:+0.74 24.61 52.19 (27.58) 1:20.78 (28.59) 1:48.68 (27.90)
    Kevin won and broke the NR again with a truly mind boggling swim of 1:48.68.

When you watch the race video, 2013 Men's Division 1 NCAA 200 Breaststroke- A Final

You can see that his S P L (Strokes Per Length) were:
    3 - 4 - 4 - 4 - 4 - 5 - 5 - 6
    At the 100 he took 15 strokes & went out in 52.1!

2013 Men's Division 1 NCAA 100 Breaststroke- A Final

Underwater footage

What's very interesting is when we compare his 2012 SPL to his 2013 SPL

2013 Finals SPL 3/4/4/4/4/5/5/6 35 strokes Time 1:48.68

2012 Finals SPL 4/5/5/5/6/6/7/8 46 strokes. Time 1:51.97

In 2013, He took 11 fewer strokes during his race and went, 3.29 seconds faster.

Once we erase our disbelief and pick our jaws up off the floor. I invite you to observe and study his remarkable performances, then ask yourself. "How did he do?"
    "What is he doing that allows him to swim breastroke so fast?"

He & his coach give us some clues in this interview:
    What Does It Take to Go 1:48 In 200 Breaststroke? Hear From Hansen & Cordes

The Most Epic 200 Breaststroke of All Time, Cordes’ 1:48.68, Post Race Interview

So todays, SFF tip is
    When ever and where ever you find excellence, observe it, study it, figure out what the critical factors are then copy them, & keep doing them until you make them your habit.

What is Cordes doing right?

Excellent push offs, streamlines, & pull outs

he DKs just after he separates his hands.

He applies a lot of power to each pull and kick, then glides further and faster than anyone ever.

He has an excellent streamline / base position.

He has an excellent coach and trains with a group of outstanding breastrokers.

When you swim breastroke: Consider

+ applying more power to each pull/kick cycle,
    + getting into a better streamline position after each kick, and holding it a little longer before you begin your next stroke.
    + doing DPS breastroke sets, count your SPLs

Kevin showed us that it is possible to swim Breastroke faster with fewer strokes. Counter intuitive, but obviously true.

SFF Index PART 2
    Last edited by ande; April 2nd, 2013 at 09:49 PM.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Hey Ande, I ran into these "Ten Myths of Swimming":
    http://www.swimcoachingbrain.com/the...s-of-swimming/
    They seem appropriate to this thread.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S View Post
    Hey Ande, I ran into these "Ten Myths of Swimming":
    http://www.swimcoachingbrain.com/the...s-of-swimming/
    They seem appropriate to this thread.
    Hi Karl,

That's a great list. All True. Wayne Goldsmith wrote it & he offers more excellent info at:

Swimmers

Swimming Technique

Swimming Coaching

Hot Topics

An Open Letter to Every Swimming Parent in the world

Thanks Again,

Ande

SFF Index PART 2

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Drop by and read FINA SWIMWEAR RULES BL 8.3 says:

"BL 8.3 From January 1, 2010 swimwear for men shall not extend above the navel nor below the knee, and for women, shall not cover the neck, extend past the shoulder, nor shall extend below knee. All swimsuits shall be made from textile materials."

For racing suits: more coverage is better and faster. Most men race with their suits way below their belly buttons. Men and women race with their suits worn above their knees.

The points I'd like to make are:

1) For Men: if the top your racing suit is on your belly button, it's not above it. and

2) For Men and Women: if the bottom of your racing suit is on your knees, it's not below it.

3) When you bend over to start your suit moves slightly, down from the waist and up from the knees

Now take a look at: an Medical Image of a Knee
    I would think that doctors would say that your patellas and patellar tendons are part of your knees. So if you covered your knee caps with your racing suit, the bottom of your suit would be on your knees but not below them.

If your racing suit provides more coverage you might swim faster. The last suggestion I have for men is: your suit does not to be level and it should cross your back in the ideal spot which might not be flush with your belly button. It should be the place on your back where the least amount of water can get in your suit while you're swimming.

SFF Index PART 2
    Last edited by ande; April 11th, 2013 at 02:33 PM.

Swimming gives me a buzz! Bobinator's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Ande,

When you are counting strokes is the right/left considered 1 cycle (or stroke), or is each arm considered a stroke?
    HTFU!

Ande,

Where is the list you had of all the things to remember to bring to a meet? I've been thru the tips and have not yet found it.

Thanks.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator View Post
    Hi Ande,
    When you are counting strokes is the right/left considered 1 cycle (or stroke), or is each arm considered a stroke?
    FR & BK: each arm
    FL & BR: both arms together is one stroke

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Ande,

Where is the list you had of all the things to remember to bring to a meet? I've been thru the tips and have not yet found it.

Thanks.
    Tip 203 List of What to Pack in your Swim Bag for a Swim Meet
    http://forums.usms.org/showthread.ph...542#post129542

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

You can re-invent yourself
    Consider a 5 year plan

David Sims recently broke 3 more USMS records. (200 FL, 200 & 400 IMs) Congrats!
    SwimSWAM wrote an article about him (with an interview)
    Olympian and Masters Champion, David Sims, Breaks 200 Fly 2 Minute Barrier"

& He shared some excellent wisdom.

DAVID: I learned to swim breaststroke in the last 2 years when I finally realized that you need a good breast leg if you want to be a great IMer. I never swam it as a kid because I was labeled as not a breaststroker, but as an adult I said BS, I have 2 arms and 2 legs and I should be able to learn this. So I set out to de-mystify the breaststroke and teach it to myself.
    MEL: A lot of swimmers have attempted that, and a lot have failed. What was your result?
    DAVID: Last year I entered the 100 breast at Nationals and took 2nd with a 1:00.5 and managed to have the fastest breaststroke split of anyone (aged 45-49) in the 200 IM. So, I feel like that hypothesis has been proven out. One of the most beautiful things about masters swimming is that you can re-invent yourself and do it within the sport you love.

DAVID: I had an epiphany two years ago about competing in the older age groups which has led to a 5-year plan. The thesis is that you are strongest when you're youngest and should therefore train for the sprint events in your first year or two, (after aging up) distance events in the last year or two and middle distance races in the middle years. I also think there is some benefit to focusing on long axis strokes in the same year and the short axis strokes in other years. By rotating through the events this way, a masters swimmer can gradually evolve and stay fresh by not focusing on the same events every year. It also keeps you from spreading yourself too thin in any given year. This year I am a short axis sprinter.
    You're likely to swim faster faster when you have a 5 year plan & (actually do it) &
    YOU can re-invent yourself.

SFF Index PART 2
    Last edited by ande; May 8th, 2013 at 10:37 AM.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Swimmer, Haley Scott DeMaria delivered Notre Dame's 2012 Commencement Speech. When Notre Dame announced she was chosen, some students asked "Who is she?" or "Really? Usually ND gets presitgious speakers. what happened?" Then she astounded amazed & inspired those fortunate enough to hear her that day in South Bend.

Here's her story:
    http://www.haleybook.com/story.php

SFF Index PART 2

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Lately Ive been reading The 4 Hour Body by Tim Ferris
    that i first mentioned in this blog
    http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?163...-24th-2011-LCM

Here's a thought that blew my mind.

Strength is a SKILL.
    If you improve your skill and technique
    you can become much stronger, faster than you ever imagined.

SFF Index PART 2
    Last edited by ande; September 5th, 2013 at 04:01 PM.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

This morning I watched UT coaches film a couple swimmers swimming freestyle from underwater. There was a male swimmer and a female. When they filmed the male from the head on perspective they didn't notice much but when they filmed this swimmer from the side perspective then played it back in slow motion, they made a startling discovery. This swimmer wasn't keeping his hand perpendicular to the bottom from midstroke to exit. His hand stayed on the same plane as his forearm so on the back end of his stroke he was actually pressing water up instead of bending his wrist and pushing water back. It's like his hand was a paddle wheel. The way he was doing it caused extra effort and a lower body position and less distance per stroke. This swimmer could experience a significant improvement if he's able to correct it. He's already very good and eliminating this error could help him become a serious contender. Times will tell.

Consider getting filmed underwater
    Then watch it back in slow motion and look for errors.
    If you find them
    figure out how to fix them
    then corrections you make should help you swim faster faster.

The challenge with fixing technique errors is you have to have a replacement habit.
    You must learn the correct technique, what it feels like then keep concentrating and doing it in practice until the new habit sticks.
    The problem is, the moment your concentration lapses, you are likely to go right back to doing your old habit.

SFF Index PART 2

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Hi, I am 17 and have begun swimming competitively this last year. I joined my high school swim team in February and did well for my first year. I have continued to swim with the my coach who is also a masters swimming coach in addition to hs coach. I swim 4x a week since my high school season ended and I feel like I have vastly improved since I was on the team. I even did an open water mile and each workout is around 3,000 meters. My times have improved a lot for example: my 500 free time in Feb. was around 8:00 minutes while now, I can do 500 's on intervals of 6:40 now. My fastest 100 free during the season was 1:03, it dropped dramatically near out championships from a 1:10. however my fastest 50 was 28 seconds the entire season, no matter how hard I tried I could not break the 28 second barrier and I didn't improve my time at all throughout the season. Recently i did a timed trial for the 50 free. I expected to see a big improvement by at least 1 or two seconds since i think my technique has really improved..I went all out, but I only did a 28. This is frustrating and disheartening, because I really want to qualify for the sections finals when I join the team again. I need 26 seconds by March or April to qualify. Do you think it's possible? Is it because I am not a sprinter? What can I do to achieve this?

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by myrandalove View Post
    Hi, I am 17 and have begun swimming competitively this last year. I joined my high school swim team in February and did well for my first year. I have continued to swim with the my coach who is also a masters swimming coach in addition to hs coach. I swim 4x a week since my high school season ended and I feel like I have vastly improved since I was on the team. I even did an open water mile and each workout is around 3,000 meters. My times have improved a lot for example: my 500 free time in Feb. was around 8:00 minutes while now, I can do 500 's on intervals of 6:40 now. My fastest 100 free during the season was 1:03, it dropped dramatically near out championships from a 1:10. however my fastest 50 was 28 seconds the entire season, no matter how hard I tried I could not break the 28 second barrier and I didn't improve my time at all throughout the season. Recently i did a timed trial for the 50 free. I expected to see a big improvement by at least 1 or two seconds since i think my technique has really improved..I went all out, but I only did a 28. This is frustrating and disheartening, because I really want to qualify for the sections finals when I join the team again. I need 26 seconds by March or April to qualify. Do you think it's possible? Is it because I am not a sprinter? What can I do to achieve this?
    Here's your ANSWER

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Backstroke Turn with a Double Freestyle Pull

I went to a masters meet in Rockwall Texas in July 2013. Neil Walker manages the pool and we were talking about ways to swim faster and he told me about the Backstroke Turn with a Double Freestyle Pull. He said he learned it from 1996 Olympian & SMU swimmer Ryan Berube. Neil said when he went to big meets he'd show the judges the turn in warm up to make sure they were OK with it and deemed it legal.

How to do a Double Freestyle Pull on Your Backstroke Turns

While swimming backstroke, going into a turn, your 2nd to last stroke begins as a backstroke stroke. (your arm exits the water like a backstroke stroke then enters up top above your head like a backstroke stroke)

But once your arm enters the water, you roll over on your stomach and do a freestyle pull underwater.
    Then you take your freestyle stroke with your other arm then turn.

The double freestyle pull backstroke turn allows you to turn over one stroke sooner which might help you gage your turns better, it also allows you to turn with more speed and power. It's legal because you don't take 2 freestyle strokes above the water. You just need to roll over and do your turn one continuous motion. Also your turn MUST begin one stroke sooner and you can't stall out after you take your 2nd pull. This is how elite backstrokers turn. Neil said when I was going at top speed, I'd start turning over right when I went under the flags.

If you learn how to do the double Freestyle Pull on Your Backstroke Turns, you're very likely to swim faster faster.

SFF Index PART 2

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ande View Post
    Backstroke Turn with a Double Freestyle Pull

I went to a masters meet in Rockwall Texas in July 2013. Neil Walker manages the pool and we were talking about ways to swim faster and he told me about the Backstroke Turn with a Double Freestyle Pull. He said he learned it from 1996 Olympian & SMU swimmer Ryan Berube. Neil said when he went to big meets he'd show the judges the turn in warm up to make sure they were OK with it and deemed it legal.

How to do a Double Freestyle Pull on Your Backstroke Turns

While swimming backstroke, going into a turn, your 2nd to last stroke begins as a backstroke stroke. (your arm exits the water like a backstroke stroke then enters up top above your head like a backstroke stroke)

But once your arm enters the water, you roll over on your stomach and do a freestyle pull underwater.
    Then you take your freestyle stroke with your other arm then turn.

The double freestyle pull backstroke turn allows you to turn over one stroke sooner which might help you gage your turns better, it also allows you to turn with more speed and power. It's legal because you don't take 2 freestyle strokes above the water. You just need to roll over and do your turn one continuous motion. Also your turn MUST begin one stroke sooner and you can't stall out after you take your 2nd pull. This is how elite backstrokers turn. Neil said when I was going at top speed, I'd start turning over right when I went under the flags.

If you learn how to do the double Freestyle Pull on Your Backstroke Turns, you're very likely to swim faster faster.
    This is really interesting! I just watched a bunch of backstroke videos on Youtube and I watched the turns over and over again. I couldn't find any 200 backstrokers that are definitely doing this, but some of the 100 backstrokers seem to be. It's pretty hard to tell with above-water camera angles at 45 seconds per 100 yards pace. I reviewed the turn rule... (Source: http://www.usms.org/rules/part1.pdf)

101.4.3 Turns—Upon completion of each length, some part of the swimmer must touch the wall. During the turn the shoulders may be turned past the vertical toward the breast, after which an immediate continuous single arm pull or an immediate continuous simultaneous double arm pull may be used to initiate the turn. Once the body has left the position on the back, any kick or arm pull must be part of the continuous turning action. The swimmer must have returned to a position on the back upon leaving the wall. Note: The swimmer who turns past vertical and, in a continuous motion, grabs the wall before pushing off with the feet while on the back is considered to have executed a “continuous turning action.”
    Notice how taking two arm pulls once past the vertical toward the breast would be illegal. Notice also how it doesn't say anything about a stroke recovery above the water. So if that first underwater pull is taken while transitioning toward the vertical, and the second is taken past the vertical, then that would be okay. Seems risky; during a breaststroke pullout, I take my dolphin kick during my pulldown rather than earlier because the chances of DQ are much lower versus the small gain I would get from the earlier kick. I might mess around with this type of backstroke turn in practice to see how it works and whether it's faster, but I might not ever use it in competition.

But like I said, this is really interesting.
    "I blame you, James!" - knelson

Page 94 of 95 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495 LastLast