Page 85 of 87 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687 LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 1726

Thread: Ask Ande

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Re: Ask Ande

Rotation:

swim and concentrate on rotating all the way to your side.

swim and kick on each side for a 1, 2 or 3 count

practice rotating

make a video and watch yourself, post it to youtube, share the link & ask for feedback

HEAD:
    Keep it down
    look at the bottom
    tape a ruler to the back of your head, if you lift your head too much the ruler will hit your back as a reminder to keep it down

Quote Originally Posted by ande View Post
    [B]Rotation:

HEAD:
    tape a ruler to the back of your head, if you lift your head too much the ruler will hit your back as a reminder to keep it down
    An easier way to accomplish the same thing is to take your center mount snorkel,turn the mouth piece segment around so it is facing the wrong way,now put the snorkel on upside down and backwards so the long end is running down your back.I use it this way frequently to practice keeping my head down for breaststroke,but it helps keep your head down in general too.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    An easier way to accomplish the same thing is to take your center mount snorkel,turn the mouth piece segment around so it is facing the wrong way,now put the snorkel on upside down and backwards so the long end is running down your back.I use it this way frequently to practice keeping my head down for breaststroke,but it helps keep your head down in general too.
    good idea
    I was kinda kidding about the ruler

Participating Member

Hello, Ande. I wrote to you a while ago and followed your suggestions (lose weight, join a workout group, work on my kick, etc). I have another question about swim caps:
    How much do swim caps help during a race? I never wear one other than open water events where they are required. Does a person swim significantly faster by wearing one?

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by splacke View Post
    Hello, Ande. I wrote to you a while ago and followed your suggestions
    (lose weight, join a workout group, work on my kick, etc).
    I have another question about swim caps:
    How much do swim caps help during a race?
    I never wear one other than open water events where they are required.
    Does a person swim significantly faster by wearing one?
    Possibly, it depends

If you have long hair, wear a cap.
    If the water is cold, wear a cap.
    If you want to take another step to keep your goggs from coming off during a race, wear a cap.
    Caps can provide your head with a better surface than hair.
    Vlieve it or not

If you are bald, don't wear a cap.
    If the water is hot, don't wear a cap
    if you don't like caps, don't wear one

Blog Entries

Ande,

Can you please explain how to do the three beat Butterfly kick? I am self coached and have managed to keep it somewhere between a Butterstruggle and a Butterfly. More Fly than Struggle.

Thank you,

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sive View Post
    Ande,
    Can you please explain how to do the three beat Butterfly kick? I am self coached and have managed to keep it somewhere between a Butterstruggle and a Butterfly. More Fly than Struggle.
    Thank you,
    Hey Bill,

I'm not sure there is a 3 beat butterfly stroke. The best things you can do to improve your butterfly are:

+ get one on one technique instruction from a good swimmer or coach who can see what you are doing (in and out of the water while you are swimming fly ) then suggest corrections, then watch you attempt them, then suggest more.
    BUT honestly the most important part of this is to:
    + know what mistakes you are making,
    + know the corrections,
    + know how it feels to swim with correct form then
    keep doing right until your new technique becomes your new habit. You gotta grind it in and
    + the ONLY way to do this is to keep reminding yourself to do it correctly, to keep concentrating and doing right, in the beginning, the moment your concentration lapses, you will go back to your old habit.
    Also only focus on one two or a few things at a time

+ get someone to time you for a all out 25, 50 & 100 fly & report back to me

+ have a friend make a video of you swimming fly, put it on youtube then post a thread here with the link and ask people to offer suggestions.

+ don't swim fly slow in practice
    you can do fly stroke drill slow,

+ Improve your dolphin kick, your SDK (streamline dolphin kick)
    have a friend time you for a fast 25, 50 & 100 dolphin kick with and with out a board
    do Help my kick is horrible

+ get in better shape, train for the 200 and 500 free

+ watch videos of the greatest butterflyers in the world and try to copy them

+ lift weights to get stronger

So Bill my bottomline is, to help you improve your butterfly technique, I need to seed you swim butterfly.

Here's links to

The Butterfly Lane

The SDK Lane
    Last edited by ande; February 14th, 2013 at 10:13 AM.

Hey ande, first of all I would like to thank you for motivating me to keep on swimming................ I wanted to give up swimming but your words and a part of me didn't let me quit. I haven't met my goal of swimming 24.00 in the 50 free LCM yet. But I have improved my previous best of 24.89 by a good margin( I haven't been trying hard untill recently).................... I think i can even go under 24 if i try hard(which I will). I have been doing a good amount of weight training recently. I have found out that i am actually pretty strong for my average size. After training for some time in the weight room, I tested my chin ups and Found out that I can do a full dead hang chin up with 49 kg extra weight ( two dumbbells between my legs). My improved strength is helping me in the water but I think I have some technical problems in my stroke which is not allowing me to generate higher speeds. I am submitting a clip of me swimming fast. I tried to swim as fast as I could but couldn't reach my top speed. It was pretty off. Anyway you will get a rough idea of my stroke from the clip. here is the clip ( It is not very clear as it was recorded with a mobile phone) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKXR0...ature=youtu.be

The goal is to improve my stroke so that I can swim a lot faster than I am doing currently........................ Your help will be very much appreciated. Thanx in advance.............................

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by geo123 View Post
    Hey ande, first of all I would like to thank you for motivating me to keep on swimming................ I wanted to give up swimming but your words and a part of me didn't let me quit. I haven't met my goal of swimming 24.00 in the 50 free LCM yet. But I have improved my previous best of 24.89 by a good margin( I haven't been trying hard untill recently).................... I think i can even go under 24 if i try hard(which I will). I have been doing a good amount of weight training recently. I have found out that i am actually pretty strong for my average size. After training for some time in the weight room, I tested my chin ups and Found out that I can do a full dead hang chin up with 49 kg extra weight ( two dumbbells between my legs). My improved strength is helping me in the water but I think I have some technical problems in my stroke which is not allowing me to generate higher speeds. I am submitting a clip of me swimming fast. I tried to swim as fast as I could but couldn't reach my top speed. It was pretty off. Anyway you will get a rough idea of my stroke from the clip. here is the clip ( It is not very clear as it was recorded with a mobile phone) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKXR0...ature=youtu.be

The goal is to improve my stroke so that I can swim a lot faster than I am doing currently........................ Your help will be very much appreciated. Thanx in advance.............................
    Hi Geo,

Congratulations! You're welcome. Thank you for saying my words are a part of you.
    your goal should be to go 23.99 or faster
    Sounds like you're very strong & getting stronger, very fast and getting faster.

Keep working on your swimming and kicking speed.
    What I like most, is when you wrote your original post in ASK ANDE
    You were despondent. You were missing a mission. you were lacking passion.
    which inspired me to write my response to you

But now you seem to have undergone a transformation, you're a man on a mission, passionately pursuing your dreams and goals.
    I hope you reach them. You seem to be a changed young man because of your actions, attitude and results so far.
    At the end of my message to you I wrote: "Hope this helps, Keep us posted. good Luck"
    sounds like it has helped, thank you for keeping us posted, keep working hard and smart & now I challenge you to take your attitude, work ethic, and apply the goal achievement process to other areas of your life to make your other dreams and goals happen.

Hope this helps, Keep us posted, Good Luck

Ande

I'll take a look at your vid soon

Participating Member

Re: flutter kick help

Hey Ande,

I have a terrible kick and need help.
    When ever I do kicking drills with a kick board, I literally move backwards. No forward progress at all, all in reverse. This lasts about 60 seconds then I give up and go back to swimming laps.
    I have had coaches and trainers watch me and all I get is, "point your toes". That seems to be the only answer. But no matter how much I "point my toes", it's backwards I go.
    I have had lots of experience with fins free diving. And I do lots of flexibility exercises for me feet.
    So you can guess I am not a fast swimmer, but a rather frustrated one.
    Any suggestions other than "point your toes"?

Thanks
    Stuck in reverse

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Creech View Post
    Hey Ande,
    I have a terrible kick and need help.
    When ever I do kicking drills with a kick board, I literally move backwards. No forward progress at all, all in reverse. This lasts about 60 seconds then I give up and go back to swimming laps.
    I have had coaches and trainers watch me and all I get is, "point your toes". That seems to be the only answer. But no matter how much I "point my toes", it's backwards I go.
    I have had lots of experience with fins free diving. And I do lots of flexibility exercises for me feet.
    So you can guess I am not a fast swimmer, but a rather frustrated one.
    Any suggestions other than "point your toes"?
    Thanks
    Stuck in reverse
    Man you've got a problem, sorry to hear that

I wrote help My flutter kick is horrible to help a slow kicker get faster
    http://forums.usms.org/showthread.ph...l=1#post278784

Suggestions (sight unseen)
    1) push off hard and glide fast and far,
    2) splash when you kick, your feet come slightly out then slap the water, hold the wall & kick against it
    3) sit on your back and work on kicking up and splashing water in the air
    4) work on short fast bursts with rest (learn to kick 10 yards, then 15, then 25)

Make videos of you kicking with a board, shoot it close up from the side, with an iphone
    I need to see what you're doing
    post them on youtube and provide us with the links
    better yet use an underwater camera and get underwater footage

Point your toes
    you don't want to rigidly point your toes
    you want to kick and the water pressure makes your feet get straight compared to your shins.

Hope this helps

you gotta get out of reverse

Blog Entries

I read in Maglischo's Swimming Fastest the only time the foot helps in propulsion is when it bends back beyond horizontal, directing water back. He stated the upkick is counterproductive and other movements just add in stability and position.

The more I stretch my ankles, and keep the toes pointed back, the better I swim

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by __steve__ View Post
    I read in Maglischo's Swimming Fastest the only time the foot helps in propulsion is when it bends back beyond horizontal, directing water back. He stated the upkick is counterproductive and other movements just add in stability and position.
    The more I stretch my ankles, and keep the toes pointed back, the better I swim
    Fast kickers tend to have floppy flexiible feet, many have hyperextended knees and feel for the water with their feet.

Active Member Average John Smith's Avatar

I started working out in the pool again after a long break. I am already getting sick of it. How do you do it? I'd set a goal but I can't seem to make masters nationals due to schedule conflicts and lack of vacation.

Now that I am in my 50s should I start taking testosterone patches, a little EPO and shots of HGH to stay motivated ..... :-)

...... Or should I continue to live my life vicariously though my kids swimming careers?

What's it all mean Ande?

John
    Last edited by Average John Smith; July 1st, 2013 at 05:41 PM. Reason: typos

Blog Entries

Couldn't find any faster tips for breakouts Ande, is there one in the list. I need to work these

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Average John Smith View Post
    I started working out in the pool again after a long break. I am already getting sick of it.
    How do you do it? I'd set a goal but I can't seem to make masters nationals due to schedule conflicts and lack of vacation.
    Now that I am in my 50s should I start taking testosterone patches, a little EPO and shots of HGH to stay motivated ..... :-)
    ...... Or should I continue to live my life vicariously though my kids swimming careers?
    What's it all mean Ande? John
    Dear John,
    this isn't working out,
    I've found someone else, please never text, write, call or stalk me again. (oh wait this is a different dear john letter.)

I'm glad that you started working out in the pool again after a long long long break.
    I'm sorry (and sort of glad) to hear you are already getting sick of it.
    (please don't train much, hard, often, or fast,
    once or twice a month is sufficient.
    300 or 400 plenty, never do a 50 faster than 30 it's just way too much effort & for what, so you can breathe heavy and gasp.
    stay away from meets, they're expensive, lots of hurry up & wait

You need something to keep you motivated that speaks louder than that little voice in your head saying,
    "ouch this hurts, this is stupid, why bother, I'd rather be driving my muscle car."
    Like a bet, a dare. something that means something to you
    One of the MOST motivating things you ever said to me was in 2007
    "Raz you can always bust a 50."
    "Smith you can always bust a 50."

Now Do you respond better to positive or negative encouragement?
    this might help us craft an ideal message for you

How do you do it?
    I set goals, pick meets, switch events from season to season. Plus If I stop training I'll get weak and fatter.

"I'd set a goal but I can't seem to make masters nationals due to schedule conflicts and lack of vacation."
    figure something out or not.

you could be suffering from low T, perhaps consult your doc to discover your diagnosis and consider treatment alternatives

should I continue to live my life vicariously though my kids swimming careers?
    Yes you definitely should,
    go to meets and BE the over bearing, psycho, crazy, out of bounds swim dad
    put on a show, demand your kids talk with you before and after each race
    micromanage every detail
    publicly yell at them if they don't swim as fast as you think they should
    make yourself feel better by belittleling them
    make a spectacle, cheer loud and proud while you're video taping their races then put them on youtube.
    Don't use a tripod, be sure to jump up and down and move your arms as you cheer to get a bouncy image.
    Bring big glitter posters and 6 foot tall signs of your kids faces, hold them up during races to block the people behind you

for practices, sit in the stands and watch every second of every practice,
    Make notes, schedule daily meetings with the coach to discuss your childs future in swimming
    cheer for your kids in practice like it's the A finals of the 2016 Olympic trials
    see if you can be more obnoxious than a particular local coach who single handedly developed the greatest swimming prodigy EVER,
    (she would be nothing if it wasn't for him)
    & just for grins, hit on the all hot swim moms and tell the not so hot ones what they should do to get hotter
    lastly while you're at it, pick fights with the dads, your kids are way better than their kids and they should know this and admit it each time they see you.

the best way to show your love for your kids is to get kicked out of their meets

Life is not worth living if you can't live vicariously through your kids.

What's it all mean Ande?
    It's all about money toys, and women, he who dies with the most wins!
    or consider this perspective
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=awjH_CqOgX0
    Last edited by ande; July 8th, 2013 at 11:07 AM.

Active Member Average John Smith's Avatar

Well.......... You ask a stupid question.......... get a stupid answer.

I am thinking negative encouragement is the way to go. A dare, bet or general humiliation is probably the best motivator at my advanced age. I've tried everything else.

Agreed..... life is about toys...... you have to have a lot of toys.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by __steve__ View Post
    Couldn't find any faster tips for breakouts Ande, is there one in the list. I need to work these
    Think I've written about them,
    Dive fast, enter in one hole
    streamline skinny,
    not too shallow not too deep
    begin your kick, small & fast, but it also depends on what your race is (sprints require more precision than longer swims)
    get to the surface and take your first stroke
    keep your head neutral

hang out underwater by the dive 25 lane at a big meet like nationals and watch people underwater as they dive in

have a friend video you with an underwater camera

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Hey, Ande! I'm looking forward to seeing you at Nationals! See you in MV!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Average John Smith View Post
    Well.......... You ask a stupid question.......... get a stupid answer.
    I am thinking negative encouragement is the way to go. A dare, bet or general humiliation is probably the best motivator at my advanced age. I've tried everything else.
    Agreed..... life is about toys...... you have to have a lot of toys.
    Your questions came from how you felt at the moment and you got brilliant answers,
    We'll work on negative encouragement & in the mean time try not to suck so bad.

Page 85 of 87 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687 LastLast