Page 83 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3373798081828384858687 LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,660 of 1726

Thread: Ask Ande

Participating Member

Nutrition

Hi Ande,

I am not much of a blogger, but I intend to share some of your tips directly with my team, or to share them with my friends on the Facebook (I appear there with my full name Alexander Stoyanov); needless to say, I will always state the source.

Ande, I whould like have your advice on nutrition during preparation period and during the competitions:

Re: nutrition during training season
    I've noticed that you are doing morning workouts 0630-0800. How do you eat before/after the workout? My swim sessions are 0700-0810. And also: Do you recommed to drink something during this time?

Re: nutrition during the meet
    What food/fluids and how much should I take on the meet day: before and during the day?
    +++

Many happy laps!

Re: Nutrition

Quote Originally Posted by sasho1999 View Post
    What food/fluids and how much should I take on the meet day: before and during the day?
    Here is a thread from a couple of years ago: [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=15691"]What do you eat on the day of the meet?[/ame]

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Ande,
    I am not much of a blogger, but I intend to share some of your tips directly with my team, or to share them with my friends on the Facebook (I appear there with my full name Alexander Stoyanov); needless to say, I will always state the source.
    Many happy laps!
    Hello Sasho,
    cool

You asked:
    Ande, I whould like have your advice on nutrition during preparation period and during the competitions:
    Re: nutrition during training season
    I've noticed that you are doing morning workouts 0630-0800.
    How do you eat before/after the workout?
    My swim sessions are 0700-0810.
    And also: Do you recommed to drink something during this time?
    I'm not a nutritionist or a nutrition expert, I haven't written much about it in SFF. I'm a chunky and need to be lighter and stronger to swim faster. I need to do a better job with my diet and avoid binge foods. (pizza, chips & salsa, & sweets) I weigh around 100kg & should be 90 - 95. My weight issues seem to be more due to what I eat and drink and less due to how hard far & often I swim. Though adding evening walks to my daily routine helped. But it was mostly from having a goal, then staying focused and disciplined over weeks & months.

Since my practices are early, I usually don't eat before practice, but sometimes I snack on bars. I often drink water or a sport drink before practice, but not during unless the work out is long or hard. I've only brought sport drinks to practice when I'm doing a postal distance swim like the hr swim, 5k or 10k. Staying hydrated & fueled is critical for the 10k. I usually eat & drink more after practice, like a smoothie or breakfast tacos.

Re: nutrition during the meet
    What food / fluids and how much should I take on the meet day: before and during the day?
    Most meets aren't incredibly demanding & you can stick with your normal nutrition, maybe do a better job staying hydrated, eat but not too much, bring small snacks or bars. Eat well cooked foods for your main meals to avoid food poisoning. I wish there was some sort of nutritional magic bullet that would dramatically transform our strength and speed at meets, but there isn't. The training you do to increase speed, strength, and conditioning, added with your race prep and rest seem to be much more important than nutrition.
    Stay hydrated and fueled.

Ande

[ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=256434&postcount=1731"]SFF INDEX[/ame]

[ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=237621&postcount=1589"]SFF Index PART 2[/ame]

Participating Member

Well, who does not love pizza!!!
    For me controlling my weight is easier, than improving 50 fr time. I follow three simple principles:

1. As much as possible I combine foods as in the Hay Diet. Simply put it goes to not mixing proteins and cabs/starches at the same meal. This gives you possibility to keep your calories and proteins intake, while trimming some extra pounds. Some links: http://www.althealth.co.uk/help-and-...iets/hay-diet/ and http://www.acidalkalinediet.com/food...ing-for-health

2. I avoid eating after 1900-2000h.

3. I avoid taking food and fluids together.
    +++

But, going back to the main subject in this forum, I will need your advise on strength exercises. In the thread "Help me, my speed is horrible", you recommend to lift weights to improve your strength power and speed 2 or 3 times a week. Can you give some sample sets which you do? Would you recommend to use also stretch cords?

Have a great day!

Re: Ask Ande

Sasho: general conclusion of reserach indictaes that the motions you are training should mimick swimming as much as possible. Otherwise a waiste of energy.
    here is one that summarizes what other researchers also found

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/how-...r-swimmers-383

Participating Member

strength training

Tks, to WhyNot and tks to Ande for his tip #246 - stretch cords.

I am going to do the following 3 days a week (in my non-swimming days):
    1. Parallel bars dips: 3-4 sets 10 reps each. Later I may increase number of reps. However, I have some negative experience with "deep" dips - after them my shoulders hurt, so I will be doing "shallow" dips: from about waist line to full extended hands.
    2. Pull ups: 3-4 sets 12 reps each.

In my swimming days I am going to use stretch cords as advised by Ande in his tip #246. Pls Ande, tell me what do you mean by:
    "6) lean over (your chest should be touching your thighs)"?
    and by:
    "10) walk holding the handles till the tension is gone from the bands"?

Good luck to all!

Participating Member

Re: strength training

I saw somewhere on the forum this wokrout:

dumbbell rows 4x5-8
    bench press 4x5-8
    squats/lunges 4x5-8

external rotations
    tricep pushdowns/bench dips
    super pullover
    deltoid raises, front, sides, middle.

should i get one more exercise for legs?

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

going back to the main subject in this forum, I will need your advise on strength exercises. In the thread
    "Help! my speed is horrible!", you recommend to lift weights to improve your strength power and speed, 2 or 3 times a week.
    Can you give some sample sets which you do?
    Would you recommend to use also stretch cords?
    Have a great day!
    I'm not lifting weights now and my times show it. I plan to get back on weights soon
    [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=34862&postcount=120"]SFF Tip 31 Get Strong[/ame]

My old blog shows my most successful sprint season as a master
    follow my workouts from late Mar 2008 to Dec 2008
    I did:
    bench press
    lat pull
    leg press
    lat press

Yes to [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=171194&postcount=1084"]Tip 246 BANDS / Stretch Cords / Power Cords[/ame]

Here's
    Jason Lezak's weigh routine

we also have [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18830"]Swim Stronger Faster[/ame]
    Quote Originally Posted by Why Not View Post
    Sasho: general conclusion of reserach indicates that the motions you are training should mimick swimming as much as possible. Otherwise a waste of energy.
    here is one that summarizes what other researchers also found
    http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/how-...r-swimmers-383
    your weight training and exercises should strengthen the muscles you use in the power phases of your stroke, the muscles that apply forces to the water to move you forward.
    If you do swimming like motions when you lift you can be fairly certain you are working the necessary muscles.

Legs: for jumping, kicking & pushing off the wall
    Lats: for pulling your body
    Delts: for pushing & pulling your body
    Triceps: for pushing your body
    Core: stomach & back to provide a stable base

Sprinting against resistance can help you gain strength too:
    + wear a Drag Suit
    + wear paddles
    + Wear fins or
    + swim with anchored sugrical tubing tied to your waist
    (if you use 2 tubes tied on a belt, one on each side of your hips, you won't kick the tube.)

Participating Member

Hi, Ande,
    I have a meet on May20, for 1500m indoor pool.
    My 50 m time is 29.3 and my previous 3900m was 63 minutes.
    I have tried to swim 1'30 for every 100 m for 1500, but I failed last time, and I think I swim 1'40 this meet.
    I had no strategy but keep the same pace from the start with 1'35 or 1'40 till half of 1500, and then it goes to 1'50.
    I'd like to ask you if there is strategy for the person who suffer keeping good stroke and faster than first half.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blueopening View Post
    Hi, Ande,
    I have a meet on May20, for 1500m indoor pool.
    My 50 m time is 29.3 and my previous 3900m was 63 minutes. I have tried to swim 1'30 for every 100 m for 1500, but I failed last time, and I think I swim 1'40 this meet. I had no strategy but keep the same pace from the start with 1'35 or 1'40 till half of 1500, and then it goes to 1'50. I'd like to ask you if there is strategy for the person who suffer keeping good stroke and faster than first half.
    Hey blue how are you?

you have a 1500 coming up in 2 weeks & 2 days
    you hope to do the best you can

the ideal way to pace any distance event is to swim at a pace you can hold the entire distance. You need to start out pretty smooth and easy.
    Start out easier than you think you should.

You could descend by 300's or 500's.
    You could negative split. you want to make slight speed changes as opposed to drastic, except for your last 50 or 100

You can't win a 1500 in the 1st 100 but you can lose it if you go out too hard.

a few questions:
    How old are you?
    How many times a week do you train?
    How far per practice?
    What sort of sets do you do?
    do you train alone or with a coach & team?
    Do you plan to rest and shave for that meet?
    What kind of suit are you going to wear in the meet?

1500 is a short race, you need technique, conditioning, & speed

I suggest you:

+ breathe every 2 instead of 3, breathe the 1st stroke off each wall

+ swim smooth

+ do a 2 beat kick & save your legs,
    then do a 6 beat kick on your last 50 or 100

hope this helps,

ande

Question Re: Ask Ande

Quote Originally Posted by ande View Post

1500 is a short race,
    Huh?

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Why Not View Post
    1500 is a short race
    Huh?
    the mens 1500 WR is 14:34, womens is 15:42
    a swimmer holding
    1:12's will swim it in 18:00,
    1:20's in 20:00
    1:30's in 22:30
    1:40's in 25:00
    2:00's in 30:00

A 1500 is short compared to longer races like 2k, 3k, 5k, 10k, or 25k.

You need conditioning and speed.
    When Sun Yang broke the 1500 WR his last 50 was 25.9.

Participating Member

Hi, Ande,

Thanks for your suggestion.
    Sometimes I am nervous to complete the race right when I start the frist part slower. Even I can't think I can swim descend or negative during race. But I will practice myself to use it for next race.

I am 34 years old male.
    4~5 times a week for 50 minutes/2500 meters
    most part of my practice is IM and free
    during summer I swim open water 3km every week
    train alone
    I do not rest or shave, and I wear normal suit
    Please advise me if I need to change modify.

I am not sure if I can make it breathe every 3 till the end, but I agree this makes my race more smooth.

I appreciate your advices, thanks!

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Hey Blue

You're welcome

Practice descending & negative splitting

34 is young

Bump up to 5 or 6 times a week for
    1 - 1.5 hr
    3000 - 4000 meters
    Train mainly free
    To get ready to schreddy your open water
    You train alone but find swim partners & buddies

rest before your big races, reduce your yardage
    shave your body the night before your big race
    wear a racing jammer suit in your big races
    You should change modify.

BREATHE EVERY 2
    NOT 3

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ande View Post
    here's the Ask Ande thread
    ask away

ande

just a note to let y'all know that I usually drive home between 4 and 5 Central time and
    if anyone has a swimming question feel free to call me and ask
    sometimes a spoken answer might work better than words on a screen
    plus I talk much faster than I type
    my cell is 512 217 2728
    I invite you to ask away,

you might enjoy

my swim faster faster swimming tips
    http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=4229

or my swim blog
    http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=4298
    click last to read my most recent work out
    Just wanted to let y'all know, I'm love to help swimmers and happy to answer your swimming questions.

feel free to
    write yours here,
    message me here or by text,
    email me AndeRasmussen (at) aol (dot) com or
    call my cell.
    I love before and after success stories & hope that you are next.

Swim Faster faster,

Ande
    Last edited by ande; July 11th, 2012 at 05:42 PM.

hi ande,
    i am a 19 years old discouraged and unmotivated guy. I used to dream big once about swimming. now a days i feel very depressed because I never made the expected progress (could not train for studies and when i could train i did not have any guidance at all.......................just people around me saying discouraging things and of course the biggest responsibility was mine without doubt for not trying hard enough). I am here not for anyones sympathy but for your help and guidance. I think it would be unfair if I do not give it some more try. I think a part of me still believes that big things can still be done. So, my event is actually the 50 free and I am kind of a late starter and have terrible aerobic capacity. my best time was i think a 24.8 or something done almost two years ago. I was terribly depressed last 3-4 months and had an exam so i almost did no swimming or anything. I think currently my time is something like 26+ which is terrible. I would like to start swimming again and give it a shot. my goal is to go 24.00 in 3 months (I think it is possible). here are some clips of me swimming :

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKau07rfyLU&feature=plcp"]Easy freestyle - YouTube[/nomedia]
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLLIROqRx-k&feature=plcp"]Technique - YouTube[/nomedia]
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0uI8GQuMYE&feature=plcp"]technique 2 - YouTube[/nomedia]
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjUNlK0SSKw&feature=plcp"]technique 3 - YouTube[/nomedia]
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGSje5oZQeU&feature=plcp"]tech 4 - YouTube[/nomedia]
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCrn0f3YjF4&feature=plcp"]tech 5 - YouTube[/nomedia]
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az4lvsaTICg&feature=plcp"]tech 7 - YouTube[/nomedia]
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsdP_tkqS_o&feature=plcp"]Kickin without board.MTS - YouTube[/nomedia]

I coudnt find anyone to tape, so i had to put the camera on a chair so it is hard to judge the stroke. I would try find someone to tape my stroke and post some better videos. In the mean time I would like some feedback on my stroke and i would like to know how i should train for my goal. should i also train for the 100 and 200 or other events, should i do big yardage, do i need to do doubles, what about weights..............
    I would appreciate your help a lot and very sorry about boring you with my long post.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by geo123 View Post
    hi ande,
    i am a 19 years old discouraged and unmotivated guy. I used to dream big once about swimming. now a days i feel very depressed because I never made the expected progress (could not train for studies and when i could train i did not have any guidance at all.......................just people around me saying discouraging things and of course the biggest responsibility was mine without doubt for not trying hard enough). I am here not for anyones sympathy but for your help and guidance. I think it would be unfair if I do not give it some more try. I think a part of me still believes that big things can still be done. So, my event is actually the 50 free and I am kind of a late starter and have terrible aerobic capacity. my best time was i think a 24.8 or something done almost two years ago. I was terribly depressed last 3-4 months and had an exam so i almost did no swimming or anything. I think currently my time is something like 26+ which is terrible. I would like to start swimming again and give it a shot. my goal is to go 24.00 in 3 months (I think it is possible). here are some clips of me swimming :

Easy freestyle - YouTube
    Technique - YouTube
    technique 2 - YouTube
    technique 3 - YouTube
    tech 4 - YouTube
    tech 5 - YouTube
    tech 7 - YouTube
    Kickin without board.MTS - YouTube

I coudnt find anyone to tape, so i had to put the camera on a chair so it is hard to judge the stroke. I would try find someone to tape my stroke and post some better videos. In the mean time I would like some feedback on my stroke and i would like to know how i should train for my goal. should i also train for the 100 and 200 or other events, should i do big yardage, do i need to do doubles, what about weights..............
    I would appreciate your help a lot and very sorry about boring you with my long post.
    Hey Geo,

sorry to hear you are discouraged and unmotivated
    address this by changing your internal & external dialog, write a new script of what you want to be and start repeating it

the problem with feeling depressed is it's a loop:
    because you feel depressed you act depressed and
    because you act depressed you feel depressed

You must begin a new loop
    because you feel motivated you act motivated and
    because you act motivated you feel motivated and
    because you're busy pursuing your goal you've got no time or need to feel or act depressed.

"because I never made the expected progress (could not train for studies and when i could train i did not have any guidance at all.......................just people around me saying discouraging things and of course the biggest responsibility was mine without doubt for not trying hard enough)."
    Excuses are useless. Decide what you want and go for it. Make what you think and say more important and acted upon than the doubters and discouragers around you. It ALL begins with you. Change your thoughts, change your actions and those around you will start talking about what they see you doing and hear you saying.

"big things can still be done."
    If this guy can do it then so can you

your event is the 50 free
    "I am kind of a late starter and have terrible aerobic capacity."
    you don't need aerobic capacity for the 50 free
    you need technique, strength, speed and proper body proportions

you were 24.8, you're now 26+
    start swimming again
    make your goal to get faster in the 50 free
    don't worry about a time, focus on the process and journey and times will take care of themselves

can't watch your vids now but will later
    Get someone to video you

how should you train for your 50?
    Swim 5 - 6x per week
    Lift weights 3x per week

you asked: "should i also train for the 100 and 200?"
    is it your goal? is it important to you?

should i do big yardage?
    NO

do i need to do doubles
    NO

what about weights?
    ABSOLUTELY

in the pool, warm up then do short fast stuff with rest
    train to improve your swimming speed and kicking speed.

Swim Faster Faster will help you.

Improve your kicking speed with
    Help my flutter kick is horrible

Improve your swimming speed with
    help my speed is horrible

For Work out ideas Here's my old blog from 2008 when I was focused on sprinting
    read my work outs starting on that page and follow them to mid June 2008

Act as if you already are what you most want to be.
    Stick with it when people say stupid stuff.
    Most importantly, change and improve what you
    + say to yourself and
    + do each day

Your problem is, you tried for a while, you hit a little frustration and negativity, then you quit trying.
    You've formed new habits, lazy habits and they don't serve you, they don't make you happy.
    So you MUST FORM new habits.
    Do it.
    Begin with your self talk.
    Then move to your daily choices and actions, chosing new choices making new actions willl give you new results.
    Get upset with yourself if you don't train, not if you train and do a fast swim and your time isn't what you hoped it would be.
    Do that work and your times will improve.
    Make it easy to feel good and hard to feel bad.
    HAVE FUN!!!

pursue your passion with purpose and find out where it takes you.
    Train with passionate positive people.
    Change your tune
    from "Que Sera, Sera (Whatever Will Be, Will Be)
    to If it's ever gonna be it's completely up to me

Hope this helps,
    Keep us posted.
    good Luck

Ande
    Last edited by ande; March 8th, 2013 at 01:04 PM.

Participating Member

Hi Ande,

Saturday morning I completed my first swimming workout in 19 years. I thought that after spending 75 minutes going back & forth in the pool I would be starving, but as it turns out I had no appetite whatsoever even though I was exhausted. I made myself eat a small cup of yogurt shortly after I got home, but it was another 10 hours before I built up enough of an appetite to eat an actual meal.

Is this common? I drank a lot to rehydrate, so perhaps I filled up on water? I had another 75 minute workout this morning and again I had very little appetite afterwards, although this time around I grew hungry after about 4 hours instead of 10 hours.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JMLswim View Post
    Hi Ande,
    Saturday morning I completed my first swimming workout in 19 years. I thought that after spending 75 minutes going back & forth in the pool I would be starving, but as it turns out I had no appetite whatsoever even though I was exhausted. I made myself eat a small cup of yogurt shortly after I got home, but it was another 10 hours before I built up enough of an appetite to eat an actual meal.
    Is this common? I drank a lot to rehydrate, so perhaps I filled up on water? I had another 75 minute workout this morning and again I had very little appetite afterwards, although this time around I grew hungry after about 4 hours instead of 10 hours.
    Not sure
    Drink when you're thirsty
    Eat when you're hungry
    Sleep when you need to sleep

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JMLswim View Post
    Hi Ande,
    Not sure
    Drink when you're thirsty
    Eat when you're hungry
    Sleep when you need to sleep

Page 83 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3373798081828384858687 LastLast