Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help, losing body hair

Blog Entries

Help, losing body hair

Since I have a self-imposed ban on returning to the ESPY discussion and going insane battling Ion Beza, I have a new post. Warning - this post is odd but I have been contemplating asking the panel of experts for a few months now.

Here's my problem (one among many), I'm losing my body hair. Does anyone else have this problem who swims a lot? I'm not a nutty swimmer, probably swimming around 7-8 hours per week. mostly indoors. But, I'm telling you, I am disturbed by what has happened to me. My wife is disturbed by the neighborhood women asking her if her husband shaves his legs and dyes his hair (neither of which I do).

I really didn't notice anything until I went to a party with some co-workers and was wearing shorts. The remarks have been unlimited since then. Most commonly I am now referred to as Mr. Bigglesworth, that hairless cat from the Austin Powers movie.

In all seriousness, is this a common problem? Any tips on what I can do to reverse this or mitigate it?

Wink Hair loss

I have the same problem, except it seems to be limited
    to the top of my head.

Sounds like the Chlorine is taking it's toll. Do you use one of the anti-chlorine shampoos? it might help.
    Cycling and running are sports too, you know!

Very Active Member
    Your pool is too alkaline. Perhaps you can get some help from the pool manager, but don't count on it. He/she will probably say it tests fine.

A bathing cap will do wonders to keep the hair on your head looking fresh and lustrous - until it starts falling out like mine and Fisch's. Does your skin itch? a moisturizing cream will help.

Very Active Member
    Dear Aquageek -

Phil hit the nail on the head. The alkalinity in your pool is too high. I swim at a YMCA and a couple of times each year the alkalinity climbs too high and I loss all the hair on my arms, legs, chest, and other areas (i.e. pubic hair). All gone.

You can generally tell if the alkalinity is too high because your mouth will feel very chalky after you have been in the water for awhile.

Look on the bright side - sure beats shaving nicks and cuts.

Paul Windrath

I think Phil was referring to the pH being too alkaline (high) rather than alkalinity. If your pool is chlorinated with liquid chlorine (which raises pH) then the management needs to add muriatic acid (which lowers pH). A high pH will cause the hair loss and cottonmouth/chaulky teeth.

Alkalinity, on the other hand, is a measure of the resistance to pH change and is controlled by adding a different chemical, sodium bicarb, once the pH is balanced to a proper level. Sodium bicard has a negligible effect on current pH.
    Coach Emmett Hines - ASCA Level 5
    Gulf LMSC Top10 Chair
    http://H2OustonSwims.org
    emmett@usms.org

me too

I seem to have lots less hair on my arms and legs in the past, oh, four or five years. Plus the hair on my head doesn't seem to grow as fast as it used to. Maybe it's age, but the more I learn about pool chemicals...I believe it's the akalinity. I'm an asst aquatic director at a Y where we have two pools to maintain. It is SO HARD to keep chemicals balanced. They are always changing; you have to stay on top of them, all the time.

Regardless of what anyone says, TELL your pool manager. They should do something about it. We listen to our patrons and keep close watch on the chemical levels.

Participating Member

Re: Help, losing body hair

This is helpful. I just returned to swimming at a neighborhood pool and I'm amazed that I've lost much of my body hair in two weeks. Plus my suits are wearing out almost as fast.

Unfortunately the city laid off the lady who previously ran the pool perfectly. Now we have a moron kid taking her place.

Blog Entries

Where is this pool I could do with some bodily hair loss...nuisance it is.

Quote Originally Posted by richjb View Post
    Where is this pool I could do with some bodily hair loss...nuisance it is.
    Go to a YMCA club it was.

Blog Entries

[quote=aquageek;2651But, I'm telling you, I am disturbed by what has happened to me. My wife is disturbed by the neighborhood women asking her if her husband shaves his legs and dyes his hair (neither of which I do).[/quote]

I know a lot of triathletes and cyclists who intentionally shave their legs. They run around with shorts at all our summer league swim meets and I don't think anyone is too disturbed. But they are pretty buff. Hope you've got that alkalinity problem fixed.

Blog Entries

not an issue for those of us with italian ancestry.

Question Re: Help, losing body hair

Hmm. loosing head hair from chlorine I have heard of . Body hair..no. Aging maybe, Do you shower before swimming. It hydrates the skin as well as the hair and does make chlorine harder to get into the skin or hair . It is winter and dryer skin from lots of swimming may do it too..7 hours week in the pool is not that much for us swimmers here but tell the truth its alot for most people. Try a moisterizer cream after your shower and if it continues and bugs you ask your Dr. if it is a symptom..yes I do know of a medical condition that can cause loss of body hair.. Cirrhosis of the liver.. it can be caused by hepititis B/C as well as booze. Dont let me scare you though I think thats not the reason because by the time that body hair loss / muscle loss occurs you would have other symptoms. Probably a combo of lots of swimming/dry skin/aging.

Blog Entries

OK, geek, is this just a ploy to get us to think the famous photo of the "fat guy in a Speedo" is definitely not you?

Very Active Member Caped Crusader's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    OK, geek, is this just a ploy to get us to think the famous photo of the "fat guy in a Speedo" is definitely not you?
    That's what I think, KNelson. I think Geek should just admit that he's shaving down like those other triathlete teammates he admires.

I too have noticed my body hair has been thinning and turning somewhat blond. i kinda like it.
    Last edited by dorianblade; December 8th, 2006 at 01:17 PM.

Back is faster than Fly poolraat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dorianblade View Post
    I to have noticed my body hair has been thinning and turning somewhat blond. i kinda like it.
    Wait until summer. If you swim outdoors you will be accused of having your hair done with blond highlights.

Help - Gaining body hair

I'm pulling a Fortress here by bringing out an older thread... but...

It has been brought to my attention that a certain "patch" of hair may be growing rather rapidly as a result of swimming.... anyone else having random unexplained body hair growth? I already went through puberty (but wouldn't mind a little growth spurt in my mid 20s)!!
    man up, buttercup!

Blog Entries

Re: Help - Gaining body hair

Quote Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
    I'm pulling a Fortress here by bringing out an older thread... but...

It has been brought to my attention that a certain "patch" of hair may be growing rather rapidly as a result of swimming.... anyone else having random unexplained body hair growth? I already went through puberty (but wouldn't mind a little growth spurt in my mid 20s)!!

What about the drag though?

Very Active Member newmastersswimmer's Avatar

Geek.....Have you tried taking a bath in rogaine yet?

Newmastersswimmer
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

"I would love to help you out.....Which way did you come in?" Groucho Marx

"24 beers in a case and 24 hours in a day....Coincidence?" Steven Wright

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast