Thread: How do you keep warm?

Blog Entries

How do you keep warm?

Ok, the ONLY thing about the meet that drove me crazy was that I was FREEZING the whole time! I had three towels all of which got soaking wet, (I'm going to get another sammy now for meets), and I couldn't get my muscles to warm up for the life of me...
    I didn't want to put my clothes on and keep taking them on and off cause it would be a total pain, but I was really cold.. I mean I had goosebumps, and my skin had that purpleish hue to it...

I saw one woman with one of those hoodie warm-ups on, and another with a regular bathrobe on, many people were jumping around trying to get warm.. The showers at the high school (where the meet was), were barely warm!

So what does everyone do at meets to keep warm in between events? those parka things are pretty expensive.. are they worth the investment? to they get soaking wet too?

J.

Very Active Member
    Always take these to meets:

1. A pair of shorts (or sweat pants)

2. A shirt (or sweat shirt)

3. A sammy

4. Two pairs of goggles

5. Deck shoes

6. Water bottle

Indoor meets are always iffy in terms of temperature. If it's summer, chances are it won't be too cold. If it's winter, the pool could be well-heated or too cold. Don't take chances in that case. Bring shorts and sweats!

It's better to be too warm at a meet than too cold.

The last meet I went to was indoors but they had all the doors open. It was cold when you were wet. I usually have my shammy and my towel on deck with me. I dry off with my shammy, pull on my sweat pants and wrap my towel around me. That seems to keep me pretty warm. Sweatshirts are good too. Have an extra pair of sweats. One that you can get wet (wear it on the deck) and one that you can put on afterwards.

~Kyra

p.s. Bring extra people. Fiancee's I imagine would be warm too.

Very Active Member Karen Duggan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Parka. Ugg boots.
    K.Duggan

Very Active Member
    After you warm down, take a hot shower, change into a dry suit, put on a swim parka (It lasts forever and worth the $$$$). YOu will be warm for your next event. Staying dry is the name of the game!!! If it is very cold, put on sweat pants and socks.

Everyone wants to put something around them selves when they are wet. I like the warm shower dry off then put on the warm stuff. I never let anyone put a blanket over my body when I am wet and cold it seems to me to keep the cold in. If out of cold water or warm water, then the blanket, I would start to shiver.

George

Very Active Member
    George, I found your thoughts dead on target on gettng dry before putting on clothes....Having said that, when I worked out up in Plattsburgh, NY in Lake Champlaine (Sp sorry)....in Sept 1997 to get used to the cold water swims comming up in SFO Bay....I was so cold after getting out of the Lake (upper 40 deg. water) that I had more clothes on then a shoplifter at
    K-Mart.....and STILL WAS COLD....When I got dry first....it was much better...

Very Active Member SwiminONandON's Avatar
    Fleece. Fleece is a beautiful thing. I would also recommend drying off first. Dry off with a chamois then put fleece on. Fleece doesn't get wet like regular sweats. Warm-ups are good too b/c they are usually made out of synthetic material. Remember, cotton kills - not really all that great of a fabric.

Parkas are also fabulous! Make sure you get a good one, the fuzzy the lining the fuzzier you will be.

Blog Entries
    fabulous! Thanks for the info!
    I'm definately gettting a chamois now!, and at least bringing some warm-ups, perhaps eventually I'll get one of the Parkas.. the do look awefully cozy!

ahhhh.. I can already feel the warmth..

my teeth were actually chattering at the meet! lol..

Very Active Member SwiminONandON's Avatar
    Also have a chamois to dry off with a towel for warmth and another towel for after you are done swimming ...

Yes I think that Parkas are the answer, we have a Parka uniform in our team and everyone has its name on it. As we ordered them for a group we were able to get good price for them.

i agree with the fleece. i wear fleece pants and a fleece jacket - right next to my skin/suit, no t-shirt between. i dry off the best i can before donning the fleece.

also, bring 'indoor' and 'outdoor' goggles to all meets. i swam a late relay at tempe in my 'outdoor' goggles. it was getting dark and i couldn't see!
    kimigo

><((((>
    `..`...><((((>
    `...><((((>

Blog Entries
    ooh, good idea about the goggles.. never would have thought of that!

Perhaps I'll get a parka with fleece inside

mmmmmmmmm.... fleeeeeece.....
    The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move
    - Aleksandr Popov [RUS]

dry off with a chamois, then go over with a dry towel to get as much water off, put on some sweats or warmups, put your parka and ugg boots on. Stay away from windy spots.

I absolutely hate being cold!!!
    -Connie
    I'd rather be swimming http://www.mastersmvnswim.org/