Thread: Anyone have a good dryland workout?

Lightbulb Anyone have a good dryland workout?

I have been swimming for my high school for three years and now that are season is over I have been trying to get to the pool a couple times a week but its a little hard becouse it is a thirty minute drive. There is a small gym about 5 minutes away from my house that has all the same cardio and weight training things that the larger gym has except it doesn't have a pool. I was wanting to knew what dryland workouts I could do in the gym closest to me on hte days that I can't get in town. If anyone has any reccomendations for me I wuold really appreciate it. Thanks
    Last edited by Nette; June 13th, 2005 at 07:14 PM.
    You always have to give 100% because if you don't, someone, somewhere, will give 100% and will beat you when you meet.

I have not had access to a pool in 10 months. I have been doing lots of dryland training so that when I resume swim training this summer, it won't take me too long to get back into swimming shape. Here are some things that I have done:

- Running, to build cardiovascular strength
    - Pilates, to build strength and flexibility, particularly in the back and abdomen area. Try a class or a video (I like Denise Austin's).
    - Arm exercises with an exercise band, light hand-held weights, and pushups
    - Leg exercises like squats and lunges (think of strengthening your legs to push off of the wall at turns)

At the high school level you could potentially begin weight training, but if you decide to do that, you should check with a doctor and your coach to see if this is right for your body type. Also, you should get a trainer at the gym to work with you for a few sessions to show you how to properly do each exercise and check your form. If you lift weights improperly, you could injure yourself, and that would not be cool!

I hope this helps, send me a private message if you'd like more detail on any of these exercises!

Look here for a start for dryland training http://swimming.about.com/cs/dryland...wim_weight.htm
    Keep it simple George Park
    Swimsuit Sale http://www.swimdownhill.com/index.html

My favorite site for dryland trainings is exrx.net. They have plenty of exercises to choose from and give a lot of tips on good weight training.
    But usually I prefer a good old calysthenics session for "confined" spaces. A handy excercise routine and I like it because it can be done anytime and anywhere.
    "Breaststroke, you see, is in harmony with the universe; its pull and kick chase one another in playfull symmetry."
    "Real swimmers never give up when they feel the pain, they just push harder."
    My PBs

Thanks for the tips. I have tried pilates in the past and I LOVE it. Its something that is fun to do and easy but yet it still works.
    Somewhere I heard that biking is just as good as running for swimmers. What have you guys heard? Which one do you prefer?
    I visited both of the websites you guys gave me. Thanks a bucnch I was really able to get an overall picture of what I should be doing when it comes to my workout.
    You always have to give 100% because if you don't, someone, somewhere, will give 100% and will beat you when you meet.

Participating Member Canadian Triathlete's Avatar
    Why not try some cross training or racing in a triathlon?

If you want to find out some great information on different training techniques for swimming, cycling, running, weight lifting and anything else related to fitness, check out my new message board.

www.canadiantriathlete.ca

We just opened up and are adding new content daily.

Train Hard!

- Jordin

Has anyone mentioned plyometrics?

We used to set up about a half dozen cones a few feet apart and you just jump with both feet from one to the next. Then there was a 3 foot high box at the end that you had to jump on to. These jumps really help with your turns and starts.

Aside from that we did pushups, situps, and dips.

Participating Member Canadian Triathlete's Avatar
    Plyometrics is one of my favorite ways of training along with uphill sprint intervals

It is suggested you do your plyometrics in the pool to prevent injury, “look before your leap”.

We really did not know about plyometrics.

We used to play corner tag at our pool, not allowed in any pool that I know of today. During this game we were not allowed to swim. We ran the deck and had to jump in the pool at each corner and hop out. We would jump out using our legs with the hands on the side push down with the hands and land on the deck with our feet. Run or jump into the shallow end of the pool, run across the pool to the other side and hop out again.

We would go to the beach and sprint up the sand dunnes or to the nearest ski hill and see who could get to the top first.

Bicycle tag was on a set course. After you were tagged you had to count to twenty and the chase was on, the group would start the trip from Hamilton to McMaster University then to Dundas, 7 miles from Hamilton up the Ancaster hill, back to Hamilton. Then we would bike around Hamilton bay to Burlington Ontario, to Lakeland beach then have our hot dogs at the beach. If the lake was warm enough a swim, if it was cold, we knew that Burlinton Beach Canal was always warm. Then the bike chase was on again, to Stoney Creek (where the Canadians Beat the Americans in the war of 1812) then back to downtown Hamilton. Trip about fifty miles total, next time in Hamilton I will check it out.

George, I've adopted your "I love TV commercials" workout program (well, the general idea anyway). It's great! I taped all the Olympic swimming and watch that instead of TV when there is nothing interesting on.

Originally posted by LindsayNB
    George, I've adopted your "I love TV commercials" workout program (well, the general idea anyway). It's great! I taped all the Olympic swimming and watch that instead of TV when there is nothing interesting on.
    The most important part of the program is not watching but to do the exercises.