Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Gary Hall commerical

Blog Entries

New Gary Hall commerical

Did anyone see the new Gary Hall, Jr Barbarsol commerical. It is about time swimmers get some good endorsements besides Speedo and the other swimming apparel companies. Madison Ave has really come a long way in the last few years. You would never see a swimmer in a commerical a year after the Olympics before. It is nice to know that all the endorsements aren't going to Phelps even though the boy more than deserves whatever endorsements he get. I mean Phelps is out of this world.

Very Active Member SwiminONandON's Avatar
    Gary Hall annoys me ... though I respect his tremendous talent, and find SOME of his antic funny ...

Edited to add: yeah to swimmers getting endorsements and to someone other than Mike or Amanda getting them (love both of them)

I was Houston a few weeks ago and I saw a billboard that had a swimmer on it. It wasn't any "big name" just someone doing fly. But still, a swimmer is a swimmer. I had to laugh though when I saw that it was advertising beer...couldn't help but think how fitting.

Flyers are alcoholics

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by SwiminONandON
    Gary Hall annoys me ... though I respect his tremendous talent, and find SOME of his antic funny ...

Edited to add: yeah to swimmers getting endorsements and to someone other than Mike or Amanda getting them (love both of them)
    I know Mel Stewart does that low calorie beer commerical where he swims against the pool and she gets out early.

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by SwiminONandON

Gary does annoy me too but he does have alot of Olympic medals.

Participating Member
    The problem with Gary Hall Jr. (imo) is that he hasn't figured out that swimming is a team sport. A case in point is during the past couple of Olympics, he dons the "Gary Hall Jr" boxing robe, those stupid Apollo Creed style shorts and struts on the blocks like Roberto Duran while his teammates wear traditional Team USA uniforms and generally conduct themselves with class. He also fires up his Australian opponents with "air guitar" comments without regard for his teammates. Small wonder that he was excluded from the 4x100 relay team in Anthens even though he is among the world's fastest sprinters. He's an enormous talent and it's a shame that he squanders it because of his selfishness and immaturity. Gary Hall Sr. was on those two amazing men's Olympic teams in '72 and '76 and didn't feel compelled to act like a jerk. I'd be more inclined to buy a product pitched by Hall Sr, Phelps, Vendt, Crocker, Malchow, or just about anyone besides GH Jr.

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Larry
    The problem with Gary Hall Jr. (imo) is that he hasn't figured out that swimming is a team sport.
    He's figured out swimming just fine and has the hardware to prove it.

Very Active Member
    Aquageek!!!!!!!!!!

I agree. I saw him interviewed and he was dignified and classy, I thought.
    Kari

Blog Entries
    I'd be more inclined to buy a product pitched by Hall Sr, Phelps, Vendt, Crocker, Malchow, or just about anyone besides GH Jr.
    I'd be more inclined to party with Phelps and Hall, Jr personally.

I think if swimming was a team sport we'd all be playing water polo.

I don't think that swimming is a team sport in any way, other than racking up INDIVIDUAL points contributing to your team. Gary Hall in my opinion showed his team spirit by just being from the USA, and I think he's great for wanting to stand out.

I have to admit, I'm a big fan. I have always looked forward to his races and have made a point to watch them. First of all, he's fast, but I also love the strutting, the flexing, and the outrageous get-ups. It makes me laugh out loud and want to cheer for him all the more. His behavior isn't out of control or overly rude, it's just fun, and I think his personality attracts even more viewers to these events.

Gary Hall Sr. was on those two amazing men's Olympic teams in '72 and '76 and didn't feel compelled to act like a jerk.
    Well, in the 1976 Olympics, when each country could send 3 swimmers in each event, Gary Hall Sr. himself said that the men's US team would strut through the Olympic Village towards the pool, with an American Flag and a broom, chanting "Sweep! Sweep! Sweep!"

I think that ranks up there with "play them like guitars."

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by swimrat
    [B]I think if swimming was a team sport we'd all be playing water polo.

I don't think that swimming is a team sport in any way,

Swimming is a team sport?? I didn't get the memo. I never thought that swimming is a team sport.

Well, Gary Hall Sr may not be all that innocent. His father in law Charles Keating was sent to prison for defrauding thousands of senior citizens for the Lincoln Savings scandal . Gary Hall Sr and Charles Keating's other son-in laws didn't face charges but it has not been proven one way or another how involved they were with the family business. Gary Hall Jr is allright as far as I'm concern. And swimming is mainly an indivdual sport rather than a team sport. Only a handful of relays are a group effort,most events you swim against other people and the clock.

I like Gary Hall until Athens. I didn't have a problem with him until the whole relay debacle. I'm sorry but if I'm coaching the team I'm putting the four fastest athletes on the relay wether they technically qualified or not. Phelps was on fire in Athens he deserved to be on that relay.

But what really pissed me off was that he didn't go to one night of finals (which was required for all the swimmers to attend if they were not swimming) and instead he went off to one of the islands.

Swimming isn't exactly a team sport. But when you are swimming at the Olympics you are (like it or not) part of the US Olympic swim team and you are representing your country.

He's a phenomenal athelte and much of his episodes I did and do find humerous. I also think he's a big jerk.

I think that he brings attention to the sport which is good. I just like the flair that he has and the confidence that he displays. He's fast and he sure is fun to watch. He is a showman and I think this got a lot more people to watch.

Blog Entries
    Jerk is a pretty strong word. The guy has broght more press and attention to swimming than anyone else in decades. He's charismatic and one heck of a hard trainer. He's also quite the ambassador for diabetes. And, he promotes swimming on his own although he apparently now does commercials for the worst shaving cream ever invented.

I'll take his warts along with his good deeds. We need more flambouyant characters like Hall in swimming.

I think that he is an amazing showman, fantastic swimmer, and I agree a huge asset in the fight against diabetes. He most certainly does attract an audience with his ostentatiousness. However, since he is in the public eye he needs to make to sure that he conveys a good message about swimming. If everyone thinks that all swimmers are showy, they may ignore it even more. While sometimes I think he walks the line in cockiness, and occasionally slips to the other side, I don't think he's crossed it entirely just yet.

He makes swimming fun and he has fun. He may talk the talk, but he backs it up and walks the walk.

You people have no idea what Hall is really like. He may or may not be a jerk, but you certainly can't tell from seeing less than 1% of his life. What about all that he did for the other swimmers he helped out in the Race Club or people with diabetes. The thing is that he is fun to watch, he is a GREAT swimmer and he is a huge benefit to the sport. He derseves our respect for his hard work and dedication. I really don't get all the bashing.

Has anyone here ever made a mistake or acted imaturely? I know that I have, but those few moments do not define me or my life.

Hook'em
    Blue

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast