Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: New Gary Hall commerical

Originally posted by SwiminONandON
    In Phelps' defense the kid is a helluva swimmer and was having a fantastic week. I would have put him on the relay, too. If I remember correctly Gary had the third fastest 100 time in prelims, morning swimmer or not he seemed off his game in the 100 in Athens.
    and
    Originally posted by TheGoodSmith
    Take a look at the morning swims for the 4 x 100 relay at Athens.

http://www.athens2004.com/en/Swimmin...WM411901_C73B1

WOODWARD Gabe 0.70 23.62 49.93 (5) 49.93
    DUSING Nate 0.14 23.12 49.01 (4) 1:38.94
    WALKER Neil 0.19 22.57 48.16 (2) 2:27.10
    HALL Gary 0.08 22.91 48.73 (2) 3:15.83

Note: Walker decidedly outsplit Hall and made the so called "unrealistic" and "too high" cut by Eddie Reese.
    Lastly, I can assure you that you are grossly in error about Eddie Reese and your opinion that he is naive and unprofessional.

John Smith
    Wrong.

In the preliminary, Gary came in third, behind Lezak and Walker.

What does this tell for the night swim?

Gary and the peaking Walker are in.

Peaking Lezak is in.

Sick Crocker is out.

Phelps is in.

Any way you look at this, as long as professional criteria is in, Gary is in.

Remember, the coaching staff discusses the relay options. This is not something you put out for a vote by the swimmers. Neither Gary or any other swimmer get to review and approve the decision by the coaching staff.
    John Smith
    That's where a coach is good or bad:

when communication and understanding is achieved or not achieved with the actual fighters in the arena.

Reese is just an armchair hero here.
    A bureaucrat.

Who blew it.

Very Active Member
    For YOU ....OF ALL PEOPLE.... to call Coach Reese a loser.....
    This man has more class, knowledge of swimming, world class swimmers that he coached..... then you will know in ten of your deluded life times.....What planet are you on?

Very Active Member

ION

Any way you cut it, Gary is not on the relay at night.

Walker outsplit him with a 48.1.... Lezak and Crocker own 2 spots because they represent the US in the 100 free individual event. Phelps is undeniably more capable and having a great meet and gets a spot.

Looks pretty cut and dry to me.

John Smith

John,

you didn't read carefully.

Walker is in.

Lezak is in.

Gary is in.

Phelps is in.

Sick Crocker is out.

Even stretched to more extreme than Gary's times, in the past, in women, Jenny Thompson was in the 4x200 free finals, even though she didn't compete at Trials in the 200 free, and Jenny displaced a Trials qualifier.

Walker, Lezak, Gary, Phelps in, that's obvious before the start of the race.

Originally posted by Tom Ellison
    For YOU ....OF ALL PEOPLE.... to call Coach Reese a loser.....
    This man has more class, knowledge of swimming, world class swimmers that he coached..... then you will know in ten of your deluded life times.....What planet are you on?
    You know what?

I post under my real name.

Times and swimmers that you haven't learned about.

In none of your posts in four years.

And Ellison is not your name.

Under your real name you are even not listed in the U.S.M.S. database as a competitor in 2005.

Blog Entries
    I wondered how long it would take for this thread, previously interesting, to be hijacked. Quicker than imagined. I did think Gull's comments were good and Tom's follow up equally insightful. Now the thread will be ruined.

Very Active Member

Ion

Taking Ian out of the relay poses a bigger concern and deviation from the norm as the 2 individual 100 freestylers almost always swim on the relay for finals.

Certainly, if Eddie or any of the coaches new that Ian was performing that poorly they wouldn't have put him on the relay. Ian is a great swimmer with a great tradition of performing well on relays in tight spots. To go out on a limb and remove him from the relay before his first events unfolded would be a hell of a risk and a slap in the face to the normal rules of who gets on the relay.

Certainly, the relay would have been faster if Gary swam in Ian's spot.... no one denies this now ..... but no one had a crystal ball for that situation.

John Smith

Very Active Member
    Ok, I am all ears now....
    Gosh, it has been my name the past 55 years....I'd guess ten to twenty of the folks on here know me in private life....and know Ellison is my name....my 7 Top Ten USMS Times and 1 FINA International Top Ten Time are in MY name "Ellison"....Heck, now you are so smart and all knowing that you are telling me Ellison is NOT my name....Gee, I guess I better get a new drivers lic., US Marine Corps DD214 form, Passport and about ten zillion other forms of ID changes because the ONE and ONLY ION THE GREAT has determined that my life long name is not Ellison....Heck, my father was named Ellison as well....or....actually, his name was Mr. Ellison....

Originally posted by aquageek

...and Tom's follow up equally insightful. Now the thread will be ruined.
    Not by me.

I never saw a 48.73 or Neil Walker written by Tom, in four years since I am here.

I write Neil Walker since 2003, and follow him since 1997.

Ok, I am all ears now....
    Gosh, it has been my name the past 55 years....I'd guess ten to twenty of the folks on here know me in private life....and know Ellison is my name....my 7 Top Ten USMS Times and 1 FINA International Top Ten Time are in MY name "Ellison"....Heck, now you are so smart and all knowing that you are telling me Ellison is NOT my name....Gee, I guess I better get a new drivers lic., US Marine Corps DD214 form, Passport and about ten zillion other forms of ID changes because the ONE and ONLY ION THE GREAT has determined that my life long name is not Ellison....Heck, my father was named Ellison as well....or....actually, his name was Mr. Ellison....
    Then why do you sign your e-mails as Wolz?

By the way, in this forum you forget to cuss so that you resemble them better.

Anyway Ellison is not a competitor in the 2005 U.S.M.S. either.

Very Active Member
    Quote by Ion: "and follow him since 1998."

Well, where did he go?

Re: Ion

Certainly, if Eddie or any of the coaches new that Ian was performing that poorly they wouldn't have put him on the relay.
    John Smith
    I post mainly at the www.usswim.org and it is documented there that Eddie Reese knew that Crocker was sick, and Eddie Reese committed a blunder nonetheless.

Quote by Ion: "and follow him since 1998."

Well, where did he go?
    To the 1998 Perth World Championships.

Racing a certain Klim from Australia.

Which you don't know, of course.

I follow his results on the Internet.

But you forgot to squeeze in your favorite word Amen so that misinformed readers start to swoon, no matter what.

Very Active Member SwiminONandON's Avatar
    I'm absolutely astounded by the fact that Ion hasn't been named the CEO of USA Swimming or at least as the head coach for an Olympic or World team. He is obviously far more knowledgeable about the swimmes, their capabilities, their technique, etc. How has this oversight been made?

Granted Reese is a great coach; I think it would be difficult for him to be completely objective in that situation. He's trained Crocker, has confidence in what he can do, and maybe gives him the benefit of the doubt, even knowing that he's not feeling 100% (assuming he did know).

Very Active Member SwiminONandON's Avatar
    Also, sometimes athletes (especially in BIG competitions) do better sick ... Michael Jordan was REALLY, REALLY sick for one of the playoff final games (can't remember the year or the game) and he had a phenomenal game ...

Who knows ... I think Eddie is a phenomenal coach, you can't argue with his results ...

Very Active Member
    Ion rote: "Which you don't know, of course."

Who the heck died and left YOU in control of knowing what I know...or don't know....or even care to know?

I'll give you a hint Ion....Maybe you should take two minutes here on this forum and tell us ALL YOU KNOW about fast swimming!

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011