Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Gary Hall commerical

Very Active Member
    "But what really pi--ed me off was that he didn't go to one night of finals (which was required for all the swimmers to attend if they were not swimming) and instead he went off to one of the islands. " Heather has a good point here!

Having said that...That may have been a jerk thing to do to other USA team members....but the good he has brought to swimming and his help fighting diabetes...still puts him high regard with me....

Very Active Member SwiminONandON's Avatar
    I never met to say or imply that he hasn't done good things for swimming, but I also must say that most of my friends that aren't in the know refer to him as the jerk with the fluffy hair.

He absolutely backs up his attitude (minus the 100 free debacle in Athens). I think for the most part his teammates like him and repsect his talent and he has done good things for USA Swimming.

Sure we all have our moments and I wouldn't judge anyone based off of what they did for a few minutes once. He was/is great to watch. I laugh while watching him.

I would have to say that Gary Hall is not just an athlete but a performer. The rivalry between the U.S. & Australia is not just hype & I think he fed off that. I mean look at the Red Sox & the Yankees. So he's a show off, big deal, he's at the olympics for crying out loud.

Very Active Member newmastersswimmer's Avatar

Re: SwiminOnandOn

Flyers are alcoholics posted by SwiminOnandOn

Maybe that's why I have trouble remembering my college years then?....Are there any other bad habbits flyer's tend to have?....I can't seem to remember.

Newmastersswimmer
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

"I would love to help you out.....Which way did you come in?" Groucho Marx

"24 beers in a case and 24 hours in a day....Coincidence?" Steven Wright

Very Active Member SwiminONandON's Avatar
    Depending on who you ask flyers tend to be attention whores too ...

Oh, and flyers are simply the coolest.

Participating Member
    I was in Athens with Gary and know first hand that his absence during one night of finals had nothing to do with lack of TEAM, but everything to do with the time he needed to refocus before the 50, the one event he had to best represent his TEAM and his COUNTRY. As far as the show he puts on before his races - this is his mental game, and as swimmers we should all know there are some things that pump us up. For Gary, it's shadowboxing. For others, it's spitting in their opponents lane (Amy Van Dyken, Alex Popov, Jason Lezak, just to name a few). I'd say shadow boxing is a lot less JERK-like than that.

He also is a big TEAM player when it comes to working with diabetes. Aside from showing thousands of children and adults that you don't have to go blind or lose a limb by age 40 - that you can actually live a normal, or supernormal life - he also raised a ton of money at his first annual Circle of Champions bruncheon held in Miami last December. This year he hopes to double it.

His Team Race Club is the best thing that has happened to swimming in a long time. The funding his foundation provides for elite swimmers from all over the world to come to Islamorada, Florida can't even be matched. Now he has created camps to allow swimmers from all levels take part on this TEAM, in which part of that money will go straight back to paying for more elite swimmers to have the opportunity to keep swimming.

I say Gary is an inspiration and probably the best thing that's ever happened for the promotion of swimming.

Very Active Member newmastersswimmer's Avatar

Re: Gary Hall

I just wanted to chime in and say that I am also a big fan of Gary's for all the reasons that have been stated on this thread. I also thought it was cool to see him posing for pictures with many of the masters swimmers at Ft. Lauderdale (and thier families). He was shaking hands with everyone and wishing people good luck on thier swims.....Too bad he didn't swim though b/c I would have loved to have seen him compete first hand.....If I remember correctly, he and some of the members of the race club did compete in Indianapolis last year (from what I read on this board)....but that was before I started swimming again and so I missed it......It was was also very cool to see him not only make the Olympic team again, but win another gold medal!......I say Kudos to Gary Hall!!

Newmastersswimmer
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

"I would love to help you out.....Which way did you come in?" Groucho Marx

"24 beers in a case and 24 hours in a day....Coincidence?" Steven Wright

Participating Member
    Gary will be swimming in the Edmonton Masters Worlds in July and also in Mission Viejo Nationals in August. As part of the Race Club, I know we all had a lot of fun at Ft. Lauderdale watching some pretty old records fall and talking to everyone...

Very Active Member
    One of the main reasons swimmers didn't get a lot of endorsements was because they didn't know hosw to promote themselves. Now Gary Hall, Jr. does & he gets bad labels from swimmers. You can' thave it both ways. Many peole said the same thing about some of the female swimmers after Sydney. If we bad mouth our standouts what does that say about the swimming population as a group?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tjrpatt
    [B]
    Originally posted by swimrat
    I think if swimming was a team sport we'd all be playing water polo.

I don't think that swimming is a team sport in any way,

Swimming is a team sport?? I didn't get the memo. I never thought that swimming is a team sport.
    I didn't say it was a team sport. Someone in the post above me did. I don't think swimming is a team sport at all.

Does it really pay to have sponsors. My best sponsor gave me lots of money until - 1966 Dow Brewery destroys 4,546,000 litres of beer after 16 people die in Quebec City area; 1 million gallons go down the drain.
    Keep it simple George Park
    New swimsuit styles http://www.swimdownhill.com

Blog Entries

Re: Re: Gary Hall

Originally posted by newmastersswimmer
    If I remember correctly, he and some of the members of the race club did compete in Indianapolis last year
    Yes, that's true. Here's the funniest thing about that. Gary was third in the 50 free behind Sabir Muhammad and Aaron Ciarla. So, Gary placed third at Masters Nationals and first at the Olympics. Now what does that tell you about the level of competition in Masters swimming?

By the way, I always thought Gary came across as a jerk and I think his actions at Athens were pretty childish. But I have to say he and the other Race Club swimmers at Indy last year went out of there way to talk to the other competitors and made a very positive impression. I saw Gary on deck again this year and once again he was very friendly and talked to anyone who introduced themselves.

uscmaria

Maria,
    Let me welcome you to Masters swimming. I hope you can swim at our Long Course nationals in August, down the freeway at Mission Viejo.

Just remember what Masters swimmers are " Just like 8 year olds but with credit cards"

And we allow booze on deck but no smoking!!!!

I always smile when I see the hard working meet officials sneaking out of the pool area to smoke
    It's not how fast you swim, it's how fast you slow down.

For competition breaststroke information visit: http://www.breaststroke.info/

Gary Hall Jr defines everything that is wrong with society and swimming and it is difficult to stomach individuals posting praise for him. Let us look at the data:

Gary went to UT and went 1.33+ 200 free as a freshman, but dropped out and went back home to Arizona! There is no questioning his talent and what he did at the 1996 and 2000 Olympics. Whether injecting insulin for his diabetes gives him a metabolic advanatage, especially as he ages, is best left for another "thread".

However, how he conducted himself at the 2004 Olympics was disgraceful! Again, let us carefully look at the accurate data:

1) He did not get top two in the 100 freestyle at the Olympic trials and did not earn to swim the individual race! The rule was the top two finishers were automatically placed on the 400 freestyle relay and the next 4 swam for the final two places if they hit a certain time! Phelps was the wildcard since he was the National Champion in this event as I recall.
    2) Men's Head coach Ed Reese set up specific guidelines as to what the remaining 4 individuals had to go in the morning relay, 48 something. Gary again had a second chance at getting on the relay and again failed whereas Neal Walker hit the time.
    3) However, my judgment is Gary Sr. has failed at teaching his son personal accountable and so why should the rules apply to Gary Jr. even though he failed twice, he should be entitled to be on the relay!
    4) Ian Crocker was sick and the relay performed poorly with Phelps on it. Gary Jr. violated the conduct code and was not present to support his country, his team and his teammates that night as it is mandatory that all members of the team attend the evening sessions!
    5) Gary Jr. was held accountable and fined for breaking his covenant regarding the rules and requirements to be on the USA Olympic swimming team!
    6) Gary Jr. badmouths Eddie and anyone and everyone with his excuses and what he would have done after failing twice!

My only regret is that Duje did not beat him in the 50. The beauty about swimming is that it is an objective sport, not subject to the subjective and political nature of diving, gymnastics, etc. This has been eroded recently with the poor handling of relay members, especially by Richard Quick. Hindsight is always 20- 20 and I am certain that Eddie, Mark Schubert and Bob Bowman had no idea that Crocker would swim so poorly. However, in hindsight, keeping Gary Jr. off the relay after his failing to earn his way on it twice, his embarrassing behavior afterwards by a grown man and his self justification along with his father's support is symbolic of the victim and "self-entitlement" behavior prevalent in our society today! One thing is for cetain in my opinion: 21+ in the 50 and the inability to break 49 in the 100 demonstrates that no matter how much talent one is, they still have to have background!Maybe Gary Jr. out to take a look at that shadow, since he has choosen not to train properly for the 100 and go 47+!

Gary Hall,

Lets not be critical of a great swimmer. I don't like him and who are we to say why he does these things, but we all, even Gary Hall have the right to do what we want. When I was swimming the papers wrote some nasty stuff about me. But I had my own reasons why I did not train the way everyone thought I should. When you live in the shadow of someone great it is hard to live up to everyone elses desires.
    Keep it simple George Park
    New swimsuit styles http://www.swimdownhill.com

Geochuck:

I hear you identifying with Gary Jr. based upon your own personal experience. Please do not lose the theme of what I am saying which is merely the following:

He did not earn his way on the relay, broke team rules and was held accountable!

Training is a personal matter. The afforementioned is when others hold one personally accountable. Again, my judgment is his behavior is a disagrace to United States Swimming based upon his actions and inactions. If he feels he lives in the shadow of his father, there are plenty of world class psychiatrists he can see!
    WB

Very Active Member

Good Greats and Bad Greats

Fact of life:

Some great swimmers (and athletes) are great people as well.

Some great swimmers (and athletes) are a real egotistical pain in the ass to deal with.

Just because a swimmer is great doesn't mean we can't praise or criticize them.

John Smith

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by White Buffalo
    Gary Hall Jr defines everything that is wrong with society and swimming and it is difficult to stomach individuals posting praise for him.
    You gotta be kidding, Hall is indicative of society's problems? Have you watched TV lately? I can think of a few worse things he could have done. We get one flambouyant swimming personality in a generation and now he's the poster boy for society's ills? Oh, and maybe we shouldn't let him inject himself with insulin for a few weeks before and after meets. And, if you are an asthmatic stay off the bronchodilators.

Then, you question his training. My goodness, how many gold medals does he need to have before you think he's a good swimmer? Shaq can't make a freethrow, he sucks too.

Geek:
    What is your point? He should be able to do what he wants to do? I have stated my belief, we live in a society that lacks personal accountablility and believes in entitlement= Gary Hall Jr. State your belief.
    WB

PS- There is now a surgical procedure pioneered in Houston/Miami that eliminates the need to inject insulin! Again, try not to lead with your chin!

Participating Member
    To White Buffalo:

I'm glad that someone already mentioned the absurdity of you suggesting that Diabetes is an asset to Gary's performance...if you knew anything at all about the disease you wouldn't make a comment as ignorant as this. You would also know that Type I diabetes is the reason that Gary has chosen to only swim the 50 free, as swimming any longer distances would be a hazard in keeping his blood sugar levels in check, both in training and in serious competition.

As far as him being such a failure twice in Athens - well, your definition of failing is a little off. That's all...my mother always taught me if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

It just always amuses me that the people with little or no knowledge of Type I diabetes claims that Gary uses this as a crutch. Come on...!!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast