Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Gary Hall commerical

USCMaria:
    Since I am so ignorant about Type I diabetes, educate me about the cell transplant with the pancreas that kick starts the body producing its own insulin and emiliminates the need for injections... Maybe the first woman to receive this, successfully, that I have met was just a dream I had?

WB

I guess everyone who does not win 5 gold medals at the Olympics is a failure, but the great thing about it, is that everyone can have their opinions even wrong ones.
    Keep it simple
    George Park

New Bottom Line Pricing http://www.swimdownhill.com

Very Active Member

Diabetes & athletes

I have two brothers and a father with Type I (juvenile onset) diabetes. One brother is a dedicated triathlete who completed the Ironman in Hawaii a couple of years ago when he turned 40. He got diabetes in his 20's, and told me one time that he has never once felt 100% while working out since getting it. Aside from the hassles of the constant blood sugar monitoring and insulin shots, or the fact that it will reduce his life expectancy significantly, or the horrific consequences as he ages, think about that for a minute -- not ONCE has he felt like he did.

I have nothing but respect for any athlete competing at any level with diabetes.

Support stem cell research.

USCMARIA:

PS- I said insulin injections are an athletic advantage, not diabetes, so next time work on your reading skills!

Every one who is waiting for this operation sometimes die before they receive it, My niece died two days before they where to do it.
    Keep it simple
    George Park

Very Active Member
    WB Writes: "and it is difficult to stomach individuals posting praise for him. "

My post with respect to Gary Hall Jr. was dead on. I did not like or agree with his missing the night race. My understanding is that he got hammered for that, paid his dues and went on.

As to his contributions to swimming and diabetes, I think Gary get very high marks....They guy is somewhat of a ham, a tad quirky and has a healthy ego....but he also has a pile of Olympic Medals and a history of giving his time to help others....If you cannot stomach that....the local drug store sells Pepto Bismal....

Blog Entries
    buffalo:

Talk about leading with your chin. There are millions of diabetics out there and you make some hokey pokey claim that Hall Jr is somehow negligent in not getting a pancreas transplant or some other "surgical procedure" in order to hold onto an athletic advantage. Let me assure you that the moment either of your allegations get FDA approval for widespread use the line for them will be longer than you can imagine.

I think Hall goofed at Athens but I don't think I'll judge his entire character by one slip up. Nor will I take that to mean he's the cause of all society's problems.

I heard being an amputee is also and advantage as you don't have to carry around that extra arm or leg weight while swimming. I've seen a few absurd claims on this forum (mostly mine) but alleging some sort of athletic advantage due to diabetes is just about the stupidest one yet. Why don't you ask the family of George Mikan (who died a couple of weeks ago) about all the benefits he saw of diabetes.

I don't see how the existence of islet cell transplantation, an investigational procedure, has any bearing on Gary Hall's integrity. And I don't believe I've ever heard anyone describe an insulin-dependent Type I diabetic as metabolically advantaged.

Very Active Member

Insulin Injections

I believe you guys are missing the point of White Buffalo's comments..... agree or disagree....

He is saying that Insulin injections are advantageous, not diabetes.

I believe we all know that insulin is a means of building muscle.

This is one great heated argument. I'm loving it.

John Smith

Participating Member
    WB:

I commend the woman that was successful in her pancreatic cell transplant surgery; and yes, I am familiar with many new treatments and procedures that are coming out in order to find a cure for the disease. But that's just it: so far, these don't work for everyone and are still in initial stages. Gary is working hard to support and fund this research.

Kudos to BillS and the support to all people and athletes living successfully with diabetes.

Support stem cell research.

All the muscle you have is of no use if you can't workout enough.
    Keep it simple
    George Park

Participating Member
    Yeah, insulin injections to the average person with a normal functioning pancreas would be advantageous, but throw in the body of a diabetic and it is not.

Very Active Member
    Support stem cell research
    Was that a political jab? What does that statement have to do with this topic....?

Blog Entries
    I sincerely doubt you could find many diabetics who would prefer a life of insulin dependence due to the alleged muscle building it provides over a life without diabetes.

There is a 6 year old girl with a pump on our swim team. Maybe we should disqualify her because of all the advantages her life as a diabetic affords her, including the wonders of constant insulin injections.

Participating Member
    It wasn't meant as a political jab, only that stem cell research is the key to finding a cure for diabetes and many other things (autoimmune, cancer...). I apologize if that offended you...

Insulin injections certainly are "advantageous" to the Type I diabetic--without them, they develop ketoacidosis, lapse into a coma, and die. Muscle building? Give me a break.

I have been a diabetic, have had high blood pressure and mono. They found this out when I was 18, I consider myself fortunate because it was type two Dia... I have had to deal with these things for a long time. I never told anyone about these problems and was harrassed by our national coaches newspapers and cursed by team mates. I understand what Gary goes through.

I have done crazy stuf in the past but I loved to compete and tried to do the best with what I had.
    Keep it simple
    George Park

Very Active Member

Gull80

Gull80,

I'm sorry to disagree, but Insulin actually is advantageous to muscle growth. It's an interesting topic.... with the use of IGF-1 and all.

Note: insulin has been used by athletes in the past percisely for its advantage..... Now.... it may shorten your life span in the end.

John Smith

So the argument is that Gary Hall is gaining an advantage from his Type I diabetes because his pancreas no longer manufactures insulin and he requires replacement therapy? I guess every cloud really does have a silver lining.

Very Active Member

1/2 the case

Hard to tell what point White Buffalo was emphasizing the most but you have to admit the thread certainly makes for a great argument.

Well, not being in the medical field, I have no idea if Gary's insulin shots helped him get bigger or stronger than he would have been without them. (Although, he's definitely a big guy.) I guess that's all secondary and unprovable in the end anyway.

His persona seems to be the primary issue at stake with most people. I'll tell you flat out, if I was Lezak, Phelps or Neil Walker, I'd have been pissed as **** at him in Athens. You don't need divisive team issues and seflish whining by one individual when you are facing the best competition in the world. It's a friggen war in that 400 free relay every 4 years and don't ever forget it. Losing to the Aussies initially in this event was beyond painful and beyond an embarassment. It was horrifying not winning in 2000 and again in 2004. It was the last America's cup event of the Olympics. You can't have peripheral crap and bitching going on in the background.

You swim for your country on National team relays and Olympic relays.... No one is above it........... you don't complain publicly while the whole event is going on either...... Note: Phelps seemed to grasp this concept quite nobly and easily........ I have to be honest with you, I was not impressed with Gary not showing up in the evening to watch his teamates. Unless he was in the hospital there really is no legitmate excuse for his behavior, and it's too bad as he is certainly one talented and strong 50 freestyler.

PS - I would have thought that given Gary's persona he'd have done the Barbasol shaving commercial Joe Namath style (a la 1960s) instead.... :-)

John Smith

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast