Thread: Open Water Workouts

Open Water Workouts

Does anyone have any open water prep workouts designed for the pool? That's right, for the pool...

Let me know...
    Dean O.

Visit www.dynoswim.com for a database of hundreds of downloadable workouts, you can add your own too.

Swim lots of laps!

Participating Member
    flip your turns but don't push off the walls

Very Active Member
    1. every few stokes pop your head up and look ahead as if you are looking for buoy or open water pylon.
    2. every few strokes close your eyes for 2 rotations, this will help in the open water as you won't have a pool bottom to sight.
    3. here's a set of 100's ; 50 fast, 25 pace, 25 easy---that will help with your intial breakout. Work up to 200's of the same breakdown, 100 fast, 75 pace, 25 easy.
    4. does your pool have a shallow end you can stand in?--run in place in the water really lifting your knees, this will replicate your start and finish.
    5. practice bi-lateral breathing, either every three strokes or 2 left, 3strokes, 2right. This will help with balance and keeping an eye on your competition.
    6. do these 300's: 75 pace, 25 fast x 3, 50 pace, 50 pace x 3, 75 fast, 25 pace x 3.
    7. I always told my triathletes to incorporate small sprints (:30) during the race to separate themselves from the pack. The open water technique would be 2:00 pace, :30 sprint.
    8. And when you can get in some open water and swim triangles--practice popping your head up and turning to your left or right.

Best of luck!