Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Coral Springs pool (SCY nationals) considered a fast pool? Anybody have any input

Very Active Member

Is Coral Springs pool (SCY nationals) considered a fast pool? Anybody have any input

Looks a little dated me.

Very Active Member jim clemmons's Avatar
    Does it matter? Everyone will be sharing the same "advantage/disadvantage" regardless.
    Jim

Pretty Lethargic Swimmer mbmg3282's Avatar
    Coral Springs has a pool set up similar to the Fort Lauderdale facility.
    Mark Gill

Very Active Member
    My question was really simple Mr. Clemmons. Does anybody know, first hand, if the pool is considered fast or average. I grasp the idea that the competition is all relative. Just curious regarding its ratings with past swimmers who have competed in it.

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Its a slow show
    ..... Just curious regarding its ratings with past swimmers who have competed in it.
    What have the reports been and from who?

Originally posted by mbmg3282

Coral Springs has a pool set up similar to the Fort Lauderdale facility.
    Ft Lauderdale's been around for ages, have they done any remodeling in the last 20 years?
    Thanks,

A.K.

Don't Panic!

Very Active Member

fast pools

Haven't swum at Coral Springs, but it's got to be faster than Fort Lauderdale's museum of a facility.

John Smith

Blog Entries
    I've been to the pool, swam in it, seen times from meets at the pool...it is good pool for fast swimming.

I do have to agree with Clemmmons though, it will be the same for everyone. Personally, I think swimmers make the pool fast, not the pool itself.

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by thewookiee
    Personally, I think swimmers make the pool fast, not the pool itself.
    While I generally agree with this statement, I suggest you take a trip to the downtown Y in Columbia, SC. Not only is the place creepy in an Alcatraz type of way, it's 20 yards with no gutter and walls about 2 feet above the water level.

Oh yeah, and it's kept at a laineybug lovin' 90 degrees.

Very Active Member

Re: fast pools

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TheGoodSmith
    [B]Haven't swum at Coral Springs, but it's got to be faster than Fort Lauderdale's museum of a facility.

Mr Goodsmith:

I could have swore that you said you would rather swim in a museum of a facility pool that had a good vacation spot than a very fast pool that is not in a good vacation spot.

I swam at this pool about 10 years ago and they added 2 pools since then. The gutter design and depth to me was better than Fort Lauderdale. From the picture on the website it looks we will be in both pools next to the diving pool with the distance events swam both places.
    Skip Thompson

Very Active Member

Frank

You are correct. I'd rather be next to the beach swimming at Fort Lauderdale's archeological exhibit than indoors at Indianapolis's faster pool.

The question was if Coral Spring's pool was fast. It's got to be faster than Fort Lauderdale's pool.

To those of you who think it's all relative for everyone in the same pool and it doesn't matter....... Try taking down Paul Smith's record in the 50yd and 100yd free. I can assure you, that you will have a vastly different opinion about pool construction.

John Smith

Very Active Member scyfreestyler's Avatar
    A fast or slow pool means very little for those seeking only to compete with those on the deck that given day. If you are attempting to make it into a Top Ten list or break a record, it becomes much more important.

As an aside, I am not completely convinced that there is really that much difference in speed from one pool to the next. Has anybody ever compiled scientific evidence to prove such a difference actually exists?

Does anybody know, first hand, if the pool is considered fast or average.
    Has anybody ever compiled scientific evidence to prove such a difference actually exists?
    Yes. You want data? - it's out there. It's all over this forum in various places and other locations outside USMS. Go fetch.

Of course a 2-3 foot deep pool is going to be slower than a 6-7 foot pool or a 10 foot pool. Gutter construction, lane lines, starting blocks, water temp, blah blah blah, all play an integral part of the so called "speed" of a pool.

However, you (mentally) are going to play the biggest (or not) role of just how fast that pool is. Remember, Michael Phelps set a world record in the 400 IM in the so-called sloooow IHOF pool of Fort Lauderdale a couple of years back. No, it's certainly not the nicest facility I've ever swum in but the ambiance plays a huge part.

It must have for him too.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Don't forget that the Hall of Fame pool saw Natalie Coughlin become the first woman to break a minute in the 100 meter backstroke or that Mike Barrowman and Martin Zubero set world records in that pool as well.

So they were not concerned if it was "fast" or not. They went to swim the best they were capable of doing that day.

Very Active Member
    Let beat this to death!! Very simple would you prefer to swim in a pool considered fast or in one considered slow. Gee, I think I'll take the fast one. How about you??

"Consideration" is all in the head of the beholder.

What you "consider" is what the results will more than likely turn out to be.
    Jim

Very Active Member newmastersswimmer's Avatar

Re: Records

To those of you who think it's all relative for everyone in the same pool and it doesn't matter....... Try taking down Paul Smith's record in the 50yd and 100yd free. I can assure you, that you will have a vastly different opinion about pool construction.

originally posted by GoodSmith

So I guess the faster pool this year will make your races very interesting then.......Is this your last SCY Nationals in the 40 - 44 year old agegroup?....If so, then I wish you the best of luck in breaking those records...I know you have come very close to those records the last couple of years.

Newmastersswimmer
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

"I would love to help you out.....Which way did you come in?" Groucho Marx

"24 beers in a case and 24 hours in a day....Coincidence?" Steven Wright

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Its a slow show
    Let beat this to death!! Very simple would you prefer to swim in a pool considered fast or in one considered slow. Gee, I think I'll take the fast one. How about you??
    Fast Pool-- if everything is the same surrounding the complex.
    Last edited by A.K.; February 4th, 2006 at 03:05 PM.
    Thanks,

A.K.

Don't Panic!

Very Active Member

Hall of Fame World Records

Originally posted by thewookiee
    Don't forget that the Hall of Fame pool saw Natalie Coughlin become the first woman to break a minute in the 100 meter backstroke or that Mike Barrowman and Martin Zubero set world records in that pool as well.

So they were not concerned if it was "fast" or not. They went to swim the best they were capable of doing that day.
    Nate Dusing set a US Open record in the 200 Meter Free of 1:47.02 in the same meet that World Records by Michael Phelps (4:11.09) and Eric Vendt (4:11.27) did in the 400 Meter IM. Natalie Coughlin also set the World Record breaking the 1 minute barrier. I remember David Edgar setting some records there in 1971 but I believe they were World bests and American Records because the 50 Free was not recognized by FINA yet.

Here is some more: http://ci.ftlaud.fl.us/flac/records.htm
    Skip Thompson

Participating Member

Re: fast pools

Originally posted by TheGoodSmith
    Haven't swum at Coral Springs, but it's got to be faster than Fort Lauderdale's museum of a facility.

John Smith
    Mr Smith:

Perhaps you should have completed a bit of background research on the Fort Lauderdale Aquatic Complex prior to making the very erroneous statement, "Haven't swum at Coral Springs, but it's got to be faster than Fort Lauderdale's museum of a Facility."

Let me share with you the following information: the Facility's original 50-meter pool completed in 1965 has witnessed 10 world records whilst serving as host to hundreds of national and international events -- I believe that the only other outdoor facility in the country with more world records is Santa Clara. The (2) most recent world records were set during the USA Swimming/Phillips 66 Long Course National Championships in August of 2002 -- Natalie Coughlin was the first woman EVER to go under a minute in the Women's 100m Backstroke (59.58), as well as Michael Phelps world record swim in the Men's 400m Individual Medley (4:11.09). I personally witnessed both of these spectacular swims, and can say without a doubt that they are the two most exciting swims I have ever seen -- that includes the numerous world records I witnessed in person at the 2004 Olympic Trials in Long Beach.

Additionally, the Fort Lauderdale Aquatic Complex was rated as the number one competitive, outdoor swimming venue in the United States, by an overwhelming 33.8% in a USA Swimming poll conducted in July of 2002 -- with the runner-up, Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona coming in at 12.9% amongst survey respondents.

I agree completely with you that the Facility is old, and needs MAJOR renovation in order to comply with current NGB pool specifications, etc -- I am very pleased to report that the City of Fort Lauderdale is currently in the process of forging the ground work for a completely new, state-of-the-art, world class aquatics venue.

Should you be interested in any further information regarding the Aquatic Complex, and it's history please feel free to visit the Facility's website at the following: www.fortlauderdale.gov/flac

Regards,

Jeff Stafford

Assistant Aquatic Complex Manager
    Fort Lauderdale Aquatic Complex

Participating Member

Re: Hall of Fame World Records

Originally posted by Frank Thompson
    Nate Dusing set a US Open record in the 200 Meter Free of 1:47.02 in the same meet that World Records by Michael Phelps (4:11.09) and Eric Vendt (4:11.27) did in the 400 Meter IM. Natalie Coughlin also set the World Record breaking the 1 minute barrier. I remember David Edgar setting some records there in 1971 but I believe they were World bests and American Records because the 50 Free was not recognized by FINA yet.

Here is some more: http://ci.ftlaud.fl.us/flac/records.htm
    Thanks Frank -- good to know there are still those that have a good grasp on the VERY rich swimming history that Fort Lauderdale has been so fortunate to have witnessed.

Regards,

- Jeff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast