Thread: Press Releases to Local Press, TV and Radio

Press Releases to Local Press, TV and Radio

Though the weather was cold, SPMA Regionals was very well done and featured many exciting races and characters. (This loser even scored a bronze.) I felt the whole event was news worthy and any news it garnered would have made more masters swimmers out in the general public. Swimmers are sexy, athletic and diverse.

The next day I say a surfing related story in the L.A. Times yet no mention of SPMA regionals. I think a few dozen press releases with photos, videos or whatever would be good for our sport.

I would like to see our meets get local press attention much like a polo tournament or a fat white guy golf tourney would in Bell Air. They do so solely with PR.

If I had to volunteer and learn how to submit press releases I would skip a meet to do it.

Press

Locate a specific writer who covers swimming, track, tri's, or cycling. Maybe even outdoor adventure writers. If none look to the lifestyle writers. Contact them directly and build a relationship -this can take time.
    You have got to find a way to make it interesting -note even though we think swimming is newsworthy the press likes to see some excitement so you are going to have to get an angle that they like -i.e.: open water swimming with sharks!

Important to discover the way (format) your writer likes to receive news. Make it easy for them.

I believe we would welcome a volunter to take charge of writing press releases.

I typically attend local meets and take a number of photographs or videos which are all available for such use.

If anyone has interest in helping with this effort, we would welcome a volunteer, as most SPMA members typically already have more tasks then resources.
    Pleae feel free to contact me.

Connie Barrett,
    SPMA committee member at large,
    USMS marketing committee chair