Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should USMS own a pool?

Paint test area ahead Michael Heather's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Should USMS own a pool?

I have always thought that USMS should own and / or operate a swimming pool complex in order to put our theories and concepts to use without interference.

This is not to suggest that we should put ourselves in a precarious position financially, but rather, establish a sinking (savings) fund dedicated to the eventual purchase or construction of a national training and competition center.

USMS could even start out by contracting to manage a facility in order to learn, train and test our view of facility operations.

Any thoughts?
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine, not those of U.S. Masters Swimming. But maybe they should be.

Swimmer Bill

Thumbs up

Yes!! Yes!! Yes!!

SwimsWithAFist
    I'm not a fan of this idea. Owning and operating a pool takes a TON of money and only benefits a very small portion of our membership. Why would 40,000 people want a not-so-insignificant portion of their dues to go towards the benefit of 1-2,000 people at the most?

Operating a pool in Colorado Springs makes sense for USA Swimming. They have the concept of a national team that they take to international events and need to spend funds in support of that. We don't have a national team and I don't see that ever becoming part of USMS. Without such an entity, owning and operating a pool will benefit the locals to that pool only, and I'm opposed to my dues going towards that.

Yes put the pool in Delta BC a few min from my house. Then I will have to decide which pool to swim at. That would make 6 pools within 15 min.
    Keep it simple George Park
    Swimsuit Sale http://www.swimdownhill.com/index.html

6 pools within 15 minutes. In Central Illinois we don't have enough pools to support the swimmers we have. Come to Champaign. We even have a group trying to bring a 50 meter indoor pool to town and could use support. Right now the U of I 50 meter pools are closed for 2 years, the outdoor pools are being changed over to water parks. A friend I have who works for the sporting goods store that sells the majority of competive swimwear says she has people come in all the time wondering where there are pools to swim in. We are in dire need!

Very Active Member Peter Cruise's Avatar

Talking

Oh, Dorothy- George is such a tease...I know the area he's talking about & with today's traffic it would be more like twenty minutes. I am relatively disadvantaged in Nanaimo with only 2 pools (3 in summer) less than ten minutes away, along with 3 very swimmable lakes in summer even closer.

Peter I timed the time from my house to the 50m pool in Richmond, 11 min. Minuro pool Richmond 13 min. Ladner outdoor pool half a block from my place, Winskill pool Tsawassen 15 min and the New USMS pool to be built in my backyard. The Sun God North Delta pool is 20 min away. I never travel during rush hour.

An after thought I drive my new Kia Sportage and know the short cuts. EEEahah

I tried to visualize that George, including the bicyclists
    & pedestrians flying for cover...

I have a muddy silty river 5 minutes away!

The Y pool is probably 15 miles away, but hardly any traffic. The outdoor 25 meter pool is another 3-4 miles on the interstate. There is not one single 50 meter pool within 50 miles open, bah!

The solution dear Dorothy, is obvious: emigrate to British Columbia- great pools, great beer & no Geek!

Paint test area ahead Michael Heather's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    To the fist swimmer,

It seems that you are taking the short view of the "project". All aquatic facilities take a considerable amount of money to maintain, much less build or buy.

I never indicated that the facility would be open to USMS swimmers only. That would be a foolish and shortsighted business tactic.

No matter where it may be located, the facility would only serve a fraction of the total membership of USMS, that is undisputed. It would also serve the larger local community including USA swimming, water polo, diving, synchro, adaptive and therapy swimming, geriatric and infant classes, SCUBA, TriFed, Kayak, Red Cross, YMCA, Schools, Prisons, Hospitals, churches and synagogues. The list is endless if you know how to sell your product.

Why close a pool at 9 pm if you are paying for the water 24 hours a day? Underwater hockey can play at 10 pm, nude innertube water polo at midnight. Ice rinks often have pickup hockey games after 12 am, why not swim then if your schedule allows or demands?

If it is successful in one place, it could possibly lead to more facilities nationwide. Or, a series of contracts to manage municipal pools.

And to George,

Until Canada becomes the 51st state (or all Canadian Masters register in USMS), I'm afraid we'll have to limit our parameters to one country.
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine, not those of U.S. Masters Swimming. But maybe they should be.

Originally posted by Peter Cruise
    The solution dear Dorothy, is obvious: emigrate to British Columbia- great pools, great beer & no Geek!
    Tooooooo cold.

And Geek is many miles away from here, although I did visit his town last May and did not see him anywhere!

Originally posted by Michael Heather

And to George,

Until Canada becomes the 51st state (or all Canadian Masters register in USMS), I'm afraid we'll have to limit our parameters to one country.
    With our new Primeminister Harper we will be The 51st state pretty soon. He wants Canada to adopt your electoral system where winners don't have to win. At the press conferences he wants only Fox news types to ask questions. Etc etc etc. An after thought I think I am going to become a Mexican.

Swimmer Bill
    In addition to Michael's ideas, I see possibilities for Masters camps, testing and research...

Dorothy, Dorothy, Dorothy...Illinois is not cold in winter? And frequently too hot & humid in July/August? Whereas we live in lotus land on Vancouver Island, shielded from both winter's ravages & summer's worst excesses. Don't judge our climate by the rest of Canada.

Very Active Member Sabretooth Tiger's Avatar
    Ah, Vancouver Island . . . the Hawaii of the 22nd (global warming) century.

Exactly & SoCal the new Galapagoes...

I can only remember 4 days this year with a temperature just below freezing this year Peter. I was away for two weeks in Nov. and 2 weeks in Feb. are we fast becoming that tropical Paradise.

Sounds interesting. I will have to visit sometime.

I don't mind heat, I just really dislike cold late in the spring and early in the fall. And bitter cold, which we have not had lately. One winter when my kids were small it was below zero for a week and I did not go outside at all. I hate cold weather, and should probably move South!

Back on Subject

Mike,

Please elaborate. What would we (USMS and its members) do with our pool? I understand we would rent it out to a lot of other groups to defray the costs of operation. But, what would we do with our time slots in that one pool?

Alternately, are you proposing a business model for opening more than one pool in areas where we think such pools could have the most utility? What would the goals be? What is the business plan you are proposing?

I've heard some say that such a USMS National pool could be the permanent home of National Championships. That has a certain appeal of not having to put the arm on a local club to do the incredible amount of hard work required to pull off the USMS meets, and having to find a pack of these lunatics twice a year. On the other hand, I think the meet might suffer as it loses a bit of the touristy, novelty of traveling to a new place for a meet appeal. (To say nothing of the new crop of locals at each meet who show up because, hey, it's within driving distance.) I'm an infrequent participant at Nationals. Let me ask the regulars. Say our National meets were always at the same facility in, oh say...southern California. Would you still come as often as you do now. If so, why? If not, why not?

I'm not criticizing this idea. I think if you have thought it through, this could be a brilliant suggestion. On the other hand, if you are proposing we fork out the hundreds of thousands, if not millions, to open what I assume would be an 50m facility that would be little more than one more place to swim in its local area, I have to wonder why we would do that?

Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast