Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should USMS own a pool?

I think it's great idea and could have some tremendous long term oppurtunities!

If you look at the USS model in Co Springs and apply the successful elements of that program to a facility like this it could make a lot of sense.

I was involved for a tme in trying to get an indoor 50m pool built in th Vail area....we'd brought in several college and USS teams over the years and there was a lot more who would have come with the right set up.

If USMS owned the facility they could have mulitiple camps going on thru the entire year, not just for competitive swimmers but triathlete, fitness, rehab, etc. Add in the college & USS programs they could lease the pool to, international teams, local PT programs, etc. and you have a pretty interesting concept.

The key in my opinion is having it in a location that people want to travel to for more than just swimming.....gotta have some vacation elements involved. Having it built at altitude makes a lot of sense as well.
    I crack myself up. It is jealousy. It is Boredom. I Did not accomplish enough when I was young, and I hate anybody faster/younger than me.

Are there any existing examples of 50m indoor pools that don't lose hundreds of thousands of dollars per year?

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries
    i don't think usms should own a pool
    there's plenty of pools across the country
    it would be a huge unnecessary expense and an ongoing burden on the USMS annual budget

plus where is fair?

ande

Oh Tall One,

I'd be interested in a business plan to combine all the elements you suggest. I think it may be feasible, but I'm not savvy enough to evaluate the business side of running a swimming facility. My bottom line as a USMS member is that I would want it to generate enough revenue to cover anual operating costs (including staff salaries to run all the programs), and I would want the programs to be sufficiently "knock your socks off" to justify spending the millions of USMS dollars it would take to build it. Do you have any creative plans to partner with others to get the facility built? Any of the sponsorship kind of deals we've batted around before?

Second question: do you propose that this facility become the permanent home for USMS Nationals?

Lastly, will I see your smilin' face the first weekend of FINA Worlds? It's been a few years, and I'd like to tip a cold one with you.

Matt

We could 'show them how it's done' first by finding a mismanaged closing facility and leasing it for several years.

I think a lot of commercial leases go for about 5 years, i wonder if it would work similar with a sports facility.

Aren't there several pools in San Diego that closed down in the last year? Maybe someone would be interested in an affordable lease rather then having it just sit there collecting tax write-off.

Just a thought...
    -Connie
    I'd rather be swimming http://www.mastersmvnswim.org/

I would lease one myself. I was looking at leasing a facility on Vancouver Island but the surounding population was not enough to support it. A friend of mine has a little pool in Oakville Ontario and does about $500,000 business a year teaching swimming.
    Keep it simple George Park
    Swimsuit Sale http://www.swimdownhill.com/index.html

Paint test area ahead Michael Heather's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No need for a lease, and there is very little need for a USMS facility in Canada. Perhaps when we annex the 51st-64th states, but not before.

There is ample precedent in the pool facility managed by GRIN Masters in Noblesville, IN for no lease. The club has exclusive use of a county (or city) pool with the agreement that they take responsibility for the management and programs. Doug Church has all the details (I may be way wrong on some, but the club runs the public pool).

In a closed pool, if a club or LMSC were to offer to take on the operation while maintaining access to the public, backed up with statistics and the success in Indiana, the city would be foolish not to consider the offer.

In this way USMS would not nationally be buying pools, but rather, insinuating itself into the fabric of society by taking small steps through subsidiaries (LMSCs) and affiliates (clubs).
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine, not those of U.S. Masters Swimming. But maybe they should be.

Clearwater Florida wants to lease there swim pools lane by lane for $5.00 an hour. Do a google search Clearwater Florida swimming pool lease.
    Keep it simple George Park
    Swimsuit Sale http://www.swimdownhill.com/index.html

Very Active Member
    USMS should never own a pool. It woudl make it far too elitist appearing and many noncompetitive swimmers woudl leave the organizaiton.

Craig,

You’ve lost me. If USMS owned a pool and used it to run camps, clinics and programs (including adult Learn-To-Swim and possibly even water aerobics), how would this be perceived as elitist?

The USMS mission is to promote fitness and health in adults by offering and supporting Masters swimming programs, any pool USMS owns would be used to support our mission.

Paint test area ahead Michael Heather's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Craig,

I am curious about your line of logic. If USMS were to perhaps buy a pool in Little Rock, Arkansas, how would that affect swimmers in Colorado? And if the Colorado swimmers were so offended at a somehow perceived elitist move, do you think they would leave their pools and programs 1000 miles away?

I must reiterate now that USMS is in no way trying to purchase a facility in Little Rock or anywhere. USMS is not even in the faintest way considering buying, building or running a pool.

This may change in the future, but this thread only deals with "what if?" as a conversation.
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine, not those of U.S. Masters Swimming. But maybe they should be.

After reading this thread for a while now, I feel it is time to say a few words.

USMS could own a pool, but it would need to be pursued under the right circumstances, I think Connie had some good points regarding finding "belly up" or bust pools, unfortunately those would probably be smaller private etc. Once you fixed it got it running and making a buck or closing the subsidy considerably they would probably want it back...

Team Sheeper a triathlon club in Nor Cal just undertook a lease to run the City of Menlo park's Pool for the next few years, they claimed they can make it work and even turn a profit, within 6 months they decided they needed to go back to the City for a small amount of help ($100,000/annual subsidy). The City was losing this much to start with and now the community no longer controls the pool the community payed to build.

How much a pool looses depends directly on factors that include, amount of users and number of programs, temperature target, environmental factors, water cost, gas costs, electricity costs, type of thermal blankets, administrative costs, and more...

I do not believe it would be an elitist move, but I am curious about who the "elite" of Masters Swimming are? I keep hearing about them but only run into working folks that are swimmers in my circles. Some are also volunteers that help the organization at convention and meets.

I think Mike had it right, we need to start selling calendars and t-shirts, perhaps masters gone wild videos from the annual convention.

Originally posted by swimnjim
    I think Mike had it right, we need to start selling calendars and t-shirts, perhaps masters gone wild videos from the annual convention.
    Not another Jim Wheeler “Masters Gone Wild” production… We are still trying to settle all the law suits from the last one

It's about time Mr. Wheeler chimed in.

Last years "Master's Gone Wild" was great.
    Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12