Thread: new to swimming

Participating Member

new to swimming

hi all, i am a teenager, and new to swim team swimming. first practice was yesterday and i was literally dead by the end. do any of you have tips to get me going? and another thing, how long do you think before i can go to a practice without ending up exhausted like heck

Smile new to swimming

Having coached high school before I would recommend, if at all possible, finding someone in your area to get private swim lessons from. Your coach might be able to recommend someone, if he is not available to do it himself. Be sure to plan your lessons not to conflict with swim practice. You will find that even a couple of lessons will be a big help.
    Expect the adjustment to be approx 6 to 8 weeks (the time it takes to develop muscle and endurance) although you are young and could probably adjust to the practices sooner than that, especially if you have done other sports.

Anyway, Good Luck and welcome to the life long sport of swimming.
    See you at the pool.
    mojo flyer

Participating Member
    Thank's mojo, my friend's dad has already volunteered to help me out. Thanks for the advice and info.

After a nearly three year hiatus from age group swimmming my daughter started high school swimming (she had to switch high school to do that) by the third day we had to help her out of the car, and she literally was on her hands and knees going up the stairs. At the end of two weeks she was calling friends to run early on a Saturday morning. Now at week 5 her times are coming down rapidly to what she was doing three years ago. Get technique help and practice perserverance.