Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New look for the forums

New look for the forums

What do you think of the new format? I generally don't like change and am not used to it yet. Probably in a couple of weeks I'll have forgotten the old one and be OK. Notice how it is egalitarian as we are all "Registered Subscribers" instead of being more elite if we were "Very Active" members.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Re: New look for the forums

Yeah, losing status as a very active member is disappointing. I had figured that once I got over 100 posts I might qualify. As soon as I did, that status was no longer available.
    I do like the new look though.
    I just ordered the vbulletiin software that drives it, to update/upgrade the Forum on the TI site.
    [FONT=Arial]Swim well -- Live well,
    Terry Laughlin
    Head Coach
    TI Swimming

Follow me on Twitter

Watch Terry and Shinji Takeuchi "Synch-Swimming."

I am with Allen, not sure yet. I guess resisting change is something old people
    It's not how fast you swim, it's how fast you slow down.

For competition breaststroke information visit: http://www.breaststroke.info/

Quote Originally Posted by breastroker View Post
    I am with Allen, not sure yet. I guess resisting change is something old people
    I'm 34, and I am as change-adverse as they come!
    Carpe Lacus

I think I'm goi9ng to like it after getting a little more comfortable with the new set up.

The one thing I miss is the "view active threads" feature that we used to have.....any chance thats coming back Jim?
    I crack myself up. It is jealousy. It is Boredom. I Did not accomplish enough when I was young, and I hate anybody faster/younger than me.

Very Active Member scyfreestyler's Avatar

I love the ability to preview a thread by holding your mouse over the thread title...great feature I have been using on a few other forums. Overall I think it's great.

Blog Entries

I like the new forum, but I wish recent topics were a little more interesting.

Very Active Member

Interesting topics....

Geek,

I'm sure you will light a fire under someone soon enough to make it interesting.

John Smith

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aquageek View Post
    I wish recent topics were a little more interesting.
    Easy to fix. Start some threads that match your interests.
    [FONT=Arial]Swim well -- Live well,
    Terry Laughlin
    Head Coach
    TI Swimming

Follow me on Twitter

Watch Terry and Shinji Takeuchi "Synch-Swimming."

Blog Entries

Re: Interesting topics....

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodSmith View Post
    Geek,

I'm sure you will light a fire under someone soon enough to make it interesting.

John Smith
    Speaking of interesting, and in the name of Smith name dropping, our Y had Rowdy Gaines in town last weekend. He did a Masters clinic on Friday night and a kids clinic on Saturday morning.

Let me tell you, it was awesome. Rowdy is one easy going fellow who makes you want to swim fast. My daughter took his clinic the next day and was equally impressed.

If Rowdy comes within a few hundred miles of you, take his clinic. It was really fun and informative.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    ... Notice how it is egalitarian as we are all "Registered Subscribers" instead of being more elite if we were "Very Active" members.
    I hadn't noticed this, so thanks for pointing it out. It took a while to figure out what setting was causing this (there are soooo many interlocking settings), but I did manage to just change it back to the way it was. Welcome back to the world of elite posters.

I'm not sold on the new things here either, but we were several versions behind the current version of software, which is never a good idea with web software due to security concerns. I've still got some more areas to update that I know of, but anything you notice that is annoyingly different or missing, just let me know.

There are definitely some things about the new version that I love. This new WYSIWYG editor for instance is a major improvement. Note also that there's now a spell checker with it (the ABC icon at the upper right of the message block). There are also some very good new features that work behind the scenes. For those who would rather view threads in a hierarchical threaded view rather than our default linear view, you can change that in your options in the control panel (user CP link). Personally I don't like that view, but some do.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith View Post
    ... The one thing I miss is the "view active threads" feature that we used to have.....any chance thats coming back Jim?
    I didn't use that feature on the old forums, so I'm not sure about this answer, but... Doesn't the "New Posts" link provide the same info as the old "active threads" link? If not, there is also the "Today's Posts" link under the Quick Links pull-down.

Very Active Member

Ahhh Geek, you can already swim fast. Come go to some nationals and the scene and adrenalin rush will cut some time from your best training time. Jerry

Very Active Member

To Jim Matysek: I see some posts labeled "two weeks ago" and "one week ago" when prowling around. The last post on the thread I viewed was way over "two weeks ago". Do you and others on the forum think it ok to cite the date of the last post on a thread? I think that is better than indicating that the most recent post was "two weeks ago" or "three weeks ago". Thanks for upgrading the forum for us. Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by jerry clark View Post
    To Jim Matysek: I see some posts labeled "two weeks ago" and "one week ago" when prowling around. The last post on the thread I viewed was way over "two weeks ago". Do you and others on the forum think it ok to cite the date of the last post on a thread? I think that is better than indicating that the most recent post was "two weeks ago" or "three weeks ago". Thanks for upgrading the forum for us. Jerry
    This is an option on the forums. I could have installed a hack on the old forums to get this type of display, but didn't think it was worth it. I figured we'd try this out for a while and if the consensus is to put it back as simply the date and time of the last post, a simple setting change will take care of that.

Jim,

(1) Personally, I don't like the "2 days ago" designation on the posts. I'd prefer just seeing the actual date and time.

(2) I miss seeing the poster's name in their posts. This version of the software only shows their login screen name (such as "Jayhawk"). The old software also showed the person's name.

Anna Lea

Anna Lea,

I modified the template that shows the poster so that the real name is shown also if available, just like the old way. Thanks for pointing that one out.

I guess after giving people some time to get used to it, I'll try a poll to see which date/time format people like better - the real date and time or the x days/hours/minutes ago one.

I like the fact that "go to first unread post" works correctly.
    With the old forum setup it seemed to always just take me
    to the last page in the thread.

Tom

Jim -

Just tried to change my avatar and don't see anywhere to do this - and I just nuked my former avatar. How can we do this?

I should clarify.. To choose a custom avatar. I can get a standard, but I worked hard to get that custom avatar and now I cannot seem to change it. what am I missing here?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast