Thread: New endurance swimmer to area- pool closeby?

Participating Member

New endurance swimmer to area- pool closeby?

Hello all. I just arrived from afar and am desperate to swim in a 50 meter pool. Does anyone know which are the closest accessible pools to Kennett Square, PA?

25 yard pools are good to get the "I haven't swam in weeks" bug out of your system but just don't work in the long run for the quantity of meters I like to swim. Do you know what I mean?

I am currently at the "I haven't swam in a long time" point, so any help about nice people and open pools would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dave

Re: New endurance swimmer to area- pool closeby?

Dave,
    I lived in the Newark, DE area (right across the state line) for six years, and there aren't too many 50m pools to be had in that area... especially indoors. The University of Delaware has an outdoor 50m pool, and the admission costs are reasonable if you don't want to get a summer membership. If you're looking for an indoor long course pool, I'd look out towards Philadelphia (UPenn, for instance) or in south Jersey (Gloucester County Institute of Technology (GCIT) I think has a 50m pool, but I'm not sure... never been there). You mighht want to get in touch with the Chair of the LMSC, Steve Kelly. His contact info is on the Delaware Valley website at www.dvmasters.org. He'll have a more current clue for you.

Chris Colburn
    Academy Bullets (IL) Masters

Participating Member

There is an outdoor 50m pool at the Upper Main Line Y in Berwyn, PA.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by coachchris View Post
    Dave,
    I lived in the Newark, DE area (right across the state line) for six years, and there aren't too many 50m pools to be had in that area... especially indoors. The University of Delaware has an outdoor 50m pool, and the admission costs are reasonable if you don't want to get a summer membership. If you're looking for an indoor long course pool, I'd look out towards Philadelphia (UPenn, for instance) or in south Jersey (Gloucester County Institute of Technology (GCIT) I think has a 50m pool, but I'm not sure... never been there). You mighht want to get in touch with the Chair of the LMSC, Steve Kelly. His contact info is on the Delaware Valley website at www.dvmasters.org. He'll have a more current clue for you.

Chris Colburn
    Academy Bullets (IL) Masters
    That LC pool at University Of Delaware is still open. They had a long course meet years ago. What are the hours there during the summer.