Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How to increase my stroke rate

Very Active Member

Re: How to increase my stroke rate

most swimmers that take up swimming late in life are weak kickers. i would cross-train in some running at least twice a week. if running isn't your thing, then start off walking for a few miles a day until you can run a little bit. then progressively increase your running.

I like to run and I will start this week. The weather is fine over here. I think I can run on wednesday and bike on sunday. Swimming on tuesday, thursday and saturday. I will also increase my dryland exercises a little bit (twice a week). Thanks for the advice.

Okoban,

I have read your thread and all of the replies and boy are you getting lots of advice, a lot of it very good. But I have a question: why do you think you NEED to increase your stroke rate to swim faster? Especially since it is a 200 that you will be doing? A longer stroke can be more powerful depending upon the water grabbed (catch), holding it through the stroke, until the finish which really should be at the thigh. Anyone who says it should not be finished there is basically telling you that it takes too much strength from the triceps, which is true, but this is the exact reason you should do it. I don't believe in avoiding the finish because of weak triceps; one should work on making them stronger. I truly think anyone who says this doesn't really get it. Triceps are crucial to stroke finishes before the recovery into the next stroke pull. Why shouldn't the triceps be strong enough to carry through the process of finishing the stroke? This makes no sense to me; it is a lazy person's way out. and short changing the swimmer.

I wish you the best in your race and you obviously are really into swimming and swimming well. You are always searching for ways to improve yourself and asking all the right questions. Swim technique is crucial, but so IS conditioning and interval training and speed endurance can give you that.

You go!!!

donna
    Insanity is hereditary--you get it from your kids

Thanks a lot for your comments Donna. I really enjoy swimming and Coach Sean guided me very well. At first I did not know what was wrong in my swimming. Then, asking a lot of questions, doing a lot of exercises and so forth, I understood that:
    • my kicks are too large and weak,
    • my reach is not proper (overreach)
    • my pull is ineffective (very large S shape)
    • my pull is not complete
    • and as you said my arms are not powerful enough to complete the push
    Sean's advice for the sprint sets helped me a lot to increase my speed. Now I realized that the second part of my 200 free is problematic. I will continue working for my endurance and sprint sets as well as a little bit of drills. I hope to swim 50 sprint in LCM pool in 32 seconds and 100 in 75 seconds. If everything goes well till the race time, I think I can swim 200 free in 2:50-2:55 range. I also started to do running and cycling.
    Your advice for triceps is interesting, I did not know that it is that important. I made a quick search and I will talk to the gym guy about it.
    EXERCISE #1 - Bodyweight Tricep Extensions - 2 sets of 8 to 12 reps
    EXERCISE #2 - In-Set Superset of Lying Tricep Extensions and Close Grip Bench Press - 3 sets of 6 to 8 reps
    EXERCISE #3 - Bench Dips - 2 sets of 10 to 12+ reps
    Thanks again for the encouragement, I will do my best in the race (2 months to go)
    Oguz

Very Active Member

okoban,

donna's right about strong triceps being crucial to good armstroke finishes. i tend to tackle issues one at a time, so i went after legs first, but -- if you've got the time -- you could certainly benefit from a few triceps exercises. while free weights are superior in many ways to universal and nautilus weights, the nautilus and universal weights tend to be safer for novices. so, until you have gotten the hang of working your triceps on these machines, i would stay away from any free weight exercises. bench dips are a great exercise for triceps. just don't overdue your arms workouts, or you won't feel in any shape to swim thereafter.

--Sean

OK coach, I will not overdo these exercises. Just 2 months to go for the meet. I will gradually increase the weights under proper supervision. Thanks for your comments.

Just to remind you you should have body roll. Here is a picture of me at the 1956 Olympics. Shoulder roll not a recent invention.

Also note George had triceps way back then.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	George_1956_Olympics.jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	489  
    Keep it simple George Park
    Swimsuit Sale http://www.swimdownhill.com/index.html

George, your triceps looks so strong. I will try to build some for me too. I do not have any problem for body roll. Today I tried another 50 and did another 34 seconds (2 breaths only). I voted for your site, it is very well designed. Thanks for the advice.

34 not bad you are getting there. I just watched your video it seems that you are crossing over a little too much both arms. I have a friend who is developing an arm stroke machine. He is sending it to me I will try it out. It is an adaptation of a theraputic knee machine for building up the legs after knee replacements.

You are right about my strokes. I'm still working to have a more proper stroke. It will take some time. I'm so happy to have comments from you.

Sean, 1 month left for the meet (200 free). What kind of a program do you recommend? I do one jogging and 3 pool workout sessions per week (1 hour each).

Very Active Member

you should work on skill development more in the beginning of the month and then speed in the latter part of the month. the last two days before the meet, i would swim very, very easy workouts. during those final two weeks of practice when you are working on speed, i would begin each practice with a warm up followed by a timed 200 at top speed. have someone record your 25 splits. just being conscious of on which 25s you are slowing down should help to motivate you during successive 200s on other days.

Good luck!

--Sean

I started to work on drills and some endurance sets this week. I will test my 200 a couple of times before the meet.
    I have a question:
    swimmnig freestyle, 4 or more strokes per breath, shall I exhale throughout all the strokes or hold my breath till the last stroke?
    Assume I am doing 4 stroke per breath; shall I;
    a) stroke1:inhale, str.2 and 3:head inside the water, hold my breath, str.4:exhale completely
    b) stroke1:inhale, str.1,2 and 3 exhale continuously
    c) other?

Thanks for your advice Sean

Very Active Member

try to pick an odd number of strokes -- like three or five -- so that you can alternate your breathing.

in terms of breathing, a continuous breath underwater. however, you must pace your rate of exhalation so that you don't hyperventilate. Go a steady but comfortable pace for your blowing bubbles. What I always tell my adult lessons is to think of your bubble-blowing as fuel usage. You want to burn fuel at a pace that gets you where you need to be. Driving everywhere at ludicrous speeds will deplete your gas too fast, so you drive at a rate that maximizes your fuel usage without sacrificing too much in the way of speed. Basically, pace your bubbles so that you have a steady stream of bubbles from the start of the bubble blowing to the finish right before the inhalation. Going again with the fuel metaphor, you don't get more gas when you are on empty or -- worse -- below the empty indicator. Similarly, make sure you still have a few bubbles that you could blow left in your lungs at all times.

when you test your 200s, make sure you get splits for every 25.

Best of luck,

--Sean

Hi Sean, I am so happy.

The event for 200 free (50LCM pool) was today and I did 2minutes and 53 seconds (third place in 30-39 years category). This is my best time ever and 10 seconds better than last years race. In other words, 5% improvement within 5 months when I started asking questions in this forum. My wife made a recording of the race and I will try to put it in youtube.
    Thanks a lot for your help. You are a great coach.

Very Active Member

Congratulations!

I am glad that you have improved so much. However, I would suggest that you keep training, since I think that you could do even better next time.

Great work!

--Sean

I'll keep on working. Next time
    • I will do a bit more dryland exercise to be stronger (2% effect on my overall speed)
    • improve my stroke technique (1%)
    • stonger kicking (1%)
    • improve my endurance (1%)
    I think I can improve my time another 5% within 1 year time and beat 2minutes and 45 seconds.

Very Active Member

i think you might be underestimating what you can do with your endurance, but it seems like you otherwise have a very good plan ahead.

best of luck,

--Sean
    Last edited by haffathot; May 29th, 2007 at 05:18 PM. Reason: do, not dow

Smile Re: How to increase my stroke rate

I will attend an oper water event within 10 days. It is approx. 4 kilometers. I made my training for 200 free throughout the year. Now I swim 1:50 per 100 for an hour in LCM pool. Shall I continue with it or shall I do something else?

Okaban

Great improvement I would say keep going. Work on getting your hundreds down to 1:40 then it starts to come easy.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast