Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How to increase my stroke rate

Re: How to increase my stroke rate

George, when I try it in 1:40, I can do it for 30-35 minutes, not more. I might try it and have a 1 min. break, then continue as much as I can.

Smile Re: How to increase my stroke rate

Thanks a lot, I became 2nd in the race in 36-40 years category. The race was 6.5 kilometers and there were some strong positive (from start to finish) currents and my time was 59 minutes something.

Very Active Member

that's about 54 secs per 100 meters. That's very good!

as for the target time you should set for your 100 meter sets, you should try to drop your time target but keep the same number of repetitions of that time. if you can do 1:50 for an hour and 1:40 for 35 minutes, you should try pushing yourself to do 1:47 for an hour. As that becomes easier to hit, go down to 1:45, etc.

--Sean

And here I thought I had found the way to improve my stroke technique. But it does not http://www.saebo.com/home.html
    Keep it simple George Park
    Swimsuit Sale http://www.swimdownhill.com/index.html

George, I am confused. Do you really need to improve your stroke technique? Did you really try this gadget and how?

I did not try this device. I was searching for stroke technique and came up with this device.

The trick is not to increase your stroke rate.

It is to get more from your stroke.

My wing span is 78.5 inches which is 1.9939 meters finger tip to finger tip.
    I am 6 feet 3 inches tall = 1.90500 meters

I push off the wall and swim a fifty meter swim it takes me 25 strokes in a 50 meter pool. My time for the stroke count is 35 seconds. that is a 60 golf score. Now remember I am 74 years of age. I have slowed down.

I have done 20 strokes for a 50m in a 25m pool. 30 seconds which was a score of 50.

George whatever your age is, you are a great swimmer. I have a long way to go to be a good swimmer. But I work hard to achieve my goals. This year my goals are: (in a 50m pool)
    200 free 2:35 (my best is 2:53)
    100 free 1:11 (my best is 1:20)
    50 free 31 seconds (my best is 34)
    50 fly 32 seconds (my best is 34)
    I started to work on dryland exercises to become more powerful. I started working on SDK, turns, stroke technique and that kind of technical stuff. My heavy training season will start in November and my race is in late May. What do you think about my goals and what would you recommend me to do?
    I am 38y/o, 1m75cm tall, 71 kg.

Sounds like you have agood plan in place. Good luck.

When I started this topic, I started as:
    I am a 38 year old man swimming 3-4 times a week. I will attend a contest in early June this year. It is 200 meters free in a 50 meter pool. Last year I swam this race in 3 minutes and 3 seconds. This year my goal to be around 2 minutes and 45 seconds. I take 30 strokes and 40 seconds for 50 meters (in a 25meter pool) and I take 35 strokes and 40 seconds in a 50 meter pool (these are my sprint scores). I think my main problem is my stroke rate which is very slow. How can I increase it? Whenever I try to increase my stroke rate, my strokes becomes shorter and I lift my head up. My normal workout is 400-500 meters warm-up, 1600-1800 main set and 400-500 meters cool-down. My questions are:
    1. Is there a ready to use workout program that you can recommend me?
    2. How can I increase my stroke rate without deteriorating my style?
    Thanks a lot in advance

First of all, thanks a lot to all the people helped me out for this (especially to Coach Sean). Now my 50 meter score is 20% better (31.6 seconds versus 40 seconds) with 40 strokes. 200 free was 10 seconds better than the previous year and my goal is to be far better. I had a bronze in 50 butterfly (33.6 seconds), bronze in 200 free and silver in an open water event. I really appreciate your help, thanks a lot.

Very Active Member

you've obviously worked quite hard and deserve all you have attained.

best,

--Sean

My latest 50 meter race in 29 Oct 2007. I am at the second lane with blue cap. The guy close to you swimming fast is an ex-olympian Ahmet Nakkaş.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gQmEdzeeOs

Very Active Member

Well, the Olympian beat you by just plain old moving faster. His arms recovered faster, and his kick rate was faster the whole way through. As for Lane 1, you had that guy the whole way down but then lost a good deal of your lead on the flipturn. You really need to improve that flipturn. Although I couldn't see him as well, it looked like Lane 4's skills were comparable to Lane 1's. Your time on the way down was a 14, but, ideally, your time should be more like a 13 or (like the Olympian's) a 12. Whereas the Olympian maintained his speed all the way back, to likely finish out with about a 25, you finished out at about 32. That's about a 17 second return trip. Part of that, no doubt, is the fault of your flipturn, but part of it also seems like it might be fatigue. If you can improve your flipturn and reduce your fatigue on the way back, you could be looking at a 29 in no time.

On the whole, though, good work.

--Sean

Thanks for the comments coach. This season I am working on my weaknesses (flip turn, strong 6 beat kick for sprints and SDK). I just opened the season 2 weeks ago and this year I plan to train 4 to 5 times per week instead of 3, but reduce the yardage per workout. It is good that I have some things to work for. I hope that I can make below 30 for 50 meters this year. I will still be working on 3 main issues as you said: technique, speed and endurance. Hope to see you in Istanbul in July for the Bosphorus Challenge.

Very Active Member

Because of the Iraq issues, I am pretty sure that if I took a trip to Bosporus I would be forevermore flagged by the US for a small room in customs accompanied by a thorough cavity search every time I opt to fly and have my emails particularly targeted for evaluation, unfortunately. So, unless things improve in Iraq and between our two countries, I don't think at this time that I will be there in July. I would rather not be treated by my own government as a suspected terrorist for the rest of my life simply because I wanted to meet a friend in Turkey and swim a meet there. I love America; I just wish it was still the land of the free and the home of the brave. Fear shouldn't trump freedom... But, to circle back to swimming:

Your stroke technique seems very much improved. It's stroke rate that is a particular hindrance to you now. Your arms need to recover faster, and -- as you have noted -- you need to move up to a six-beat kick if you can. And in a 50 free, the flipturn is even more important than it is generally, and it's generally a huge predictor on the outcome of the race.

--Sean

Coach, your comments are very helpful as always. I am working on the turns, stroke recovery and stronger kicks. I also work on SDK. I will make my annual program with the help of a coach in my pool (head swimming coach of Enka). His name is Suha Tokman, lived in the US for more than 2 decades. I made a search and foud an English article about him:
    http://archive.mailtribune.com/archi...es/01sport.htm
    I will keep posting about my experiences in the forum.
    Oguz

Very Active Member

sounds good, Oguz!

--Sean

Coach, we made an annual plan with Mr. Tokman.
    4-8-8-5-3 weeks for introduction, aerobic, anaerobic, pre-race and taper periods. Now I am at the aerobic phase. My yardage per week increased to 25,000 meters (theoretically). I can do 20,000 per week by doing 5 workouts per week. My plan is to do 25,000 for 3 weeks and decrease to 20,000.
    We made this plan, he wrote some sample workouts for me, but his schedule is so heavy that he could not have time to work with me. I know that I still have some problems with my swimming technique. I made 2 sessions with another coach. We focused on technique. My faults are:
    1. In freestyle, my stroke finish is not good enough (same old problem)
    2. In freestyle, I have super high elbow recovery squeezing my shoulders
    3. In freestyle, I sometimes drop my elbow in pull phase
    4. He also said my style is a bit for endurance swimming and if I want to be better in sprint, I shall swim with less catch-up style and my hands shall enter the water at 11 and 1 instead of 12 and 12.
    5. In backstroke, I do not know the start
    6. In backstroke, my right arm overreaches
    7. In backstroke, my legs are not following the body steadily (they swing a bit to the left and right like a snake)
    I am tired of writing my faults.To be continued

In LCM pool, my latest scores are:
    31:50 for 50 free
    35:10 for 50 butterfly
    I will test 100 free, back and 50 breast, backstroke.
    In March, there will be masters races to elect Turkish team. I will attend it to see my best performance. If I can do it, I want to join the world masters in Perth.

In August 2007, I wrote about my goals for this season as:
    200 free 2:35 (my best is 2:53)
    100 free 1:11 (my best is 1:20)
    50 free 31 seconds (my best is 34)
    50 fly 32 seconds (my best is 34)

2 weeks ago in masters meet in Istanbul I did: (SCM)
    200 free 2:33 (2 seconds better than my goal), silver medal
    100 free 1:08 (3 seconds better) bronze medal
    50 free : I did not try
    50 fly: 34 seconds (2 seconds more to go) GOLD
    100 back: 1:25 GOLD
    Yesterday I made 1500 meters in LCM in 25 minutes as 15x100 @1:40 (2 minutes better than my best)
    How did I do these imporovements?
    My stroke finish is better (not early exit)
    Hi elbow throughout the pull phase (as much as possible)
    Not so hi elbow in recovery
    Beter kick
    Better hand entry (11 and 1 o'clock instead of 12 each)
    Those points were all coach Sean wrote before. I did 6-7 sessions with a coach in my pool and it worked well also. I think I have more to go in the tank. Thank you Sean for your guidance.

Congratulations on time drops!
    Does this mean you will go to Perth?

Regards,
    VB

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast