Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New USMS Fitness Event: Go the Distance!

New USMS Fitness Event: Go the Distance!

Announcing the new 2007 USMS Fitness Event: Go the Distance!

A new fitness event is being offered by the USMS Fitness Committee. The name of this new challenge is “Go the Distance”!

The objective of this event is for participants to track the distance they swim during the year 2007. When participants achieve specific distance milestones of 50 miles, 100 miles, 250 miles, 500 miles, 750 miles and 1000 miles – they will be recognized on the USMS website and awards will be available for purchase (for a minimal fee).

There is no cost to enter this event. Participants are requested to email (or use snail mail) to submit the total distance they swim each month. A list of miles per month and cumulative mileage will be tabulated for each swimmer. Once a distance milestone is achieved awards will be available for purchase. They will include swim caps, certificates, patches and t-shirts with the event logo and the distance of the milestone achieved. Details on these awards and how to purchase them will be available soon.

Each month the results will be updated on the USMS website in the Fitness Section. There will be lists to recognize all those that have achieved each distance milestone. Participants will also be able to look up their current total as well as view their progress toward the next distance milestone. In addition there will be graphs illustrating the participation for each zone, lmsc, age groups etc..

This event was designed to encourage folks to track the distance they swim in order to review their progress and to be recognized for their achievements. There is no time limit for the distance milestones (except that it must be in 2007) so speed does not count – just the effort to attain the next goal. We wish to recognize participation and achievement of goals with this event.

There will be an entry form, monthly results, award request form and a “distance tracking log” available on the USMS website (fitness section) soon. The log can be used to track one’s daily distance swum but is not required.

The Canadian Masters have a Million Metre Challenge that is quite successful. This event is similar in design but will be implemented a bit differently in the beginning. And of course, our goals will be in miles instead of meters!

I would very much appreciate it if you could spread the word to folks and consider participating yourselves! If you need any more information or would like to comment and make suggestions please contact Mary Sweat at gothedistance@swimoregon.org

Wishing you lots of fun swimming in 2007!
    Mary Sweat
    For the USMS Fitness Committee

Very Active Member Dominick Aielloeaver's Avatar

Smile Re: New USMS Fitness Event: Go the Distance!

Great Idea. Mary. I like it very much. Dom, From AZ.

Re: New USMS Fitness Event: Go the Distance!

Hi Mary,

This sounds good to me as I am a distance swimmer and 2007 will be a year that I pound out a lot of miles in preparation for a very long swim (for me).

I suppose, of course, it is on the Honor System. So I guess when February 1 rolls around, I'll start logging my miles.

Donna

Hi Donna,

Actually the event starts this Monday - January 1, 2007 - so please start logging your miles right away!

There will be a "swim mileage tracking log" on the website (fitness section) that will be available soon that you can use for this event. However, it's not required that you use it to enter the event. A simple email to gothedistance@swimoregon.org (see entry form for more details) with your mileage swum at the end of each month is all that is necessary.

I hope to hear from you at the end of January with your first month's mileage!
    Mary

Blog Entries

hello mary,
    i think this is a great idea. it will encourage people to keep a swim log and might even encourage some to participate in some long distance (postal and open water) events.

i will certainly be promoting this event within my LMSC.

db

I did this type of thing with Illinois Masters last summer. We logged May-Aug yardage, and sent the log in by September. It was a "I swam a Marathon" shirt. It was fun to see the miles rack up, and helped me get in the water at a time that I find difficult to find time.

Thumbs up Re: New USMS Fitness Event: Go the Distance!

Thanks for doing this new event! I am just getting back to swimming regularly and really look forward to this event helping to keep me in the pool on a consistant basis. I am a definite list maker and record keeper so this shall be a boon to me!!

Nancytris

Hi Folks,

Happy New Year! I am glad to see that some of you are interested and excited about this new event ... and since today is the first day of this new event - I hope you all have started tracking your mileage!

The "mileage tracking logs", entry forms and description of this event will be available soon on the website (it is such a busy time of year!). However, until then, please just keep track of those miles on beer napkins (my personal favorite) or any other piece of scratch paper you can find!

Have fun swimming - I hope to hear from you at the end of the month!
    Mary

Mary, I can't wait to start tracking my mileage

Too bad the lifeguards messed up and forgot to open the pool today. Oh well, I'll be going for my first 2+ miles tomorrow at 4:30am.

Alison

PS Miss you and Oregon.

USMS Membership Director Jayhawk's Avatar

(1) Is there a fee to enter the event?

(2) Is it open to USMS members only?

Anna Lea
    -

Quote Originally Posted by swimshark View Post
    Mary, I can't wait to start tracking my mileage

Too bad the lifeguards messed up and forgot to open the pool today. Oh well, I'll be going for my first 2+ miles tomorrow at 4:30am.

Alison

PS Miss you and Oregon.

Alright Alison! I was hoping you would enter this event! Could it be you want a good looking swim cap ... ?

By the way folks, when the entry form is posted on the website (soon) - you will notice a very cool event logo on the form. This was designed and created by our very own Alison (who swims for us (Oregon) in VA!). This is the logo that will be on the awards for each distance milestone achieved. Please have a look when it's posted - I think you will really like it!
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
    (1) Is there a fee to enter the event?

(2) Is it open to USMS members only?

Anna Lea
    -
    1) There is no entry fee ... simply email (or snail mail) me your monthly mileage and you will automatically be entered! The only cost will be if you choose to purchase an award when you have achieved a distance milestone (50,100,250,500,750 or 1000 miles). Awards will include certificates, swim caps, t-shirts and patches with the really cool event logo on it. The cost will be minimal - just enough to cover the item and shipping costs. More details will be available soon.

2) This event is for USMS Members Only at this time. 2007 USMS id's will be required. We will evaluate this event later this year to see if it would be feasible to open it up to others.

Mary

Participating Member

Mary,
    Can't wait to get started! Went to the pool today....not open for lap swim. Will begin 6:00am tomorrow morning. Thanks for doing this.
    Cheers,
    Smurt

Aw, thanks Mary. I'm definately working torwards my first cap. Swam at 4:30 this morning with the kids and managed a good 4400 yards.

Alison

Very Active Member blainesapprentice's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Any word on when the info will be up on the fitness section?!

Also, do the other contests that are still on that page, but over, restart for the new year? Just wondering, because they also looked like fun!

Thanks,
    Morgan
    Nothing to it but to do it

Cool Re: New USMS Fitness Event: Go the Distance!

Sounds like fun, I'm in. We should count kicking and pulling too or just swimming?

Quote Originally Posted by blainesapprentice View Post
    Any word on when the info will be up on the fitness section?!

Also, do the other contests that are still on that page, but over, restart for the new year? Just wondering, because they also looked like fun!

Thanks,
    Morgan
    Hi Morgan,

I am hoping that the entry form and log for tracking your mileage will be posted on the website soon (maybe any day now). The files are ready but the web folks are very busy at this time.

As far as the other fitness events for 2007 .... the "go the distance" event is the new, revamped version of the Virtual Swim Series. However, we will keep the Virtual Swims and logs available for your use and enjoyment. If you choose do a virtual swim, just make sure to enter your distance swum in the "go the distance!" event instead!

Both the Check-Off-Challenge and 30 minute swim events are being offered in 2007. Hugh Moore is a contact for the check-off-challenge and PNA will be hosting the 30 minute swim. I hope information regarding these events will be available on the website soon.

Stay tuned for the information to be posted under the fitness section on the USMS website,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberlie Streed View Post
    Sounds like fun, I'm in. We should count kicking and pulling too or just swimming?
    Hi Kimberlie,

The use of swim toys (er ... equipment) is just fine for this event! The mileage you enter is simply how far you have gone in the water ... in whatever way you like! However, I suppose motorized devices should not be allowed .... !
    Mary

Entry form and mileate tracking log now available on website!

Hi Folks,

The entry form for the new USMS event "Go the Distance" is now available on the USMS website under the fitness section!

Also available is a "mileage tracking log" which is an Excel spreadsheet. Use of this tracking log is not required to enter this event. It's simply a tool provided for those of you who might not being using any mileage tracking tools at this time.

I hope you all will have a look at the entry form, track your mileage and then send in your first monthly results at the end of January!

Please let me know if you would like any more information.
    Mary

Thanks Mary,

The excel sheet looks intimidating to me I guess I am simply not computer savvy enough to understand how to use it. So I will simply keep track in my notebook and email you the total distance at the end of the month.

Do we need to send all the information indicated on the entry form to you each month (age, address, USMS ID, etc.) or just the first time we enter our distance?

Thanks again, this is a motivator for me

Nancy

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast