Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nose Clip

Nose Clip

Is it possible to compete with a nose clip on?
    Due to some sinus problems (so the doc thinks) I need to swim with a nose clip which is ok if I swim just for me, but a couple weeks ago our coach mentioned something about a some competition in the summer...... I feel so stupid wearing this thing on my nose..... Am I the only one? If there a better way to fix my sinus problem? Can it be related to the pool water or am I just making it up?

Very Active Member

Re: Nose Clip

When I was 4 yrs old, my nose was broken. thej as an adult, I've had two operations to remove nasal polyps. I always use a clip. I use the large size for sync swimming. It works really well. I have polyps right now but they are kept small becuse I'm not blowing out through my nose. The other kind with the strap don't seem to fit my nose.

I order 12 at a time because of th ediscount at Kiefer's and because I lose them easily.

Very Active Member Redbird Alum's Avatar

If you need one to remain comfortable or prevent health issues, by all means use one. I have swum with alot of people who use clips regularly, and seen plenty used at meets.

Very Active Member blainesapprentice's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My college coach requires that all our backstrokers wear nose clips in practice and strongly suggests they use them at meets as well. (and about half do!). I wear a nose clip when I am swimming with a swim snorkel. Lots of people do it:-D!
    Nothing to it but to do it

Quote Originally Posted by blainesapprentice View Post
    My college coach requires that all our backstrokers wear nose clips in practice and strongly suggests they use them at meets as well. (and about half do!). I wear a nose clip when I am swimming with a swim snorkel. Lots of people do it:-D!
    Why? Oh, that would drive me nuts!
    having a hard time getting, and staying, motivated

Quote Originally Posted by blainesapprentice View Post
    I, too, want to know why a coach would require a nose clip for backstroke, that makes no sense to me. It surely has nothing to do with speed or technique. I need to inhale and exhale out of both my nose and mouth because I can take in more and release more. So even if people are doing it, why?

Donna

I bought and used my first nose clip ever this week. I am sooooo glad I did. For the first time in forever I did not sneeze and blow for hours after my swim! That was so refreshing. I had been so convinced that I would not be able to swim wearing a nose clip!! Then I read somewhere here "you will be surprised how quickly you get used to it" and decided to try one. Now I am a convert

Craig -- being new to nose clips I am not familiar that they come in sizes. Is there a particular site I can visit to check this out.

Thanks, Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by islandsox View Post
    IIt surely has nothing to do with speed or technique.
    It has everything to do with speed and maybe a little to do with reducing sinus infections.

It has been demonstrated at the elite level, the underwater breakout is the faster than surface backstroke. Also the underwater backstroke breakout requires the swimmer to 1) have a constant exaltation through the nose, 2) allow copious amounts of water to flow into their nasal cavity, or 3) block the flow of inrushing water.

Typically swimmers who choose option 1 have subsequently shorter breakouts as the race progresses; the need for air drives them to the surface and the exaltation reduces stored air volume and buoyancy. Option 2 often leads to coughing and spewing. Option 3 (nose clips) is the most effective option and not sneezing afterwards is an added bonus.

When I race backstroke with a nose clip, I usually add 4 to 5 yards to each breakout over non-clipped races.

Very Active Member

yeah, right...that must be the reason why all the Phelps and Thorps are frequently seen with those clips in big meets

Seriously. I dont think that this has an impact at all on speed under normal circumstances, but if you have problems controlling the outflow of air, then yes definately there is most likely a big impact on the time you can spend under water.

/Per

I use them for the same reasons nancytris uses them and have not found them to cause me any problems and maybe prevent some. As for breathing I subscribe to the theory (personal-no citations here) that the larger the openng the more air one can effectively move. Yes the nasal passsages can contribute, but is it worth the hassle considering the much smaller diameter of the canals. Factor in the problems listed by nancytris and these are my rationales for using noseplugs. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Copeland View Post
    It has been demonstrated at the elite level, the underwater breakout is the faster than surface backstroke. Also the underwater backstroke breakout requires the swimmer to 1) have a constant exaltation through the nose, 2) allow copious amounts of water to flow into their nasal cavity, or 3) block the flow of inrushing water.
    Some swimmers will have option 3A. If I make a certain facial expression (the "something stinks" look) it blocks the nose without need for a clip. Only time having a deviated septum comes in handy. I can kick u/w on my back without having to exhale anything significant (no noticeable bubbles)

Thank you all so very much! I don't feel so odd anymore...
    Does anyone know a good site for clips? I have 2 kinds: just a moon shaped one from TYR and the one with metal strip in the middle and rubber ends from Speedo. The first one keeps slipping off my nose and the second one works OK but hurts my nose a bit when I put it on.

craiglll@yahoo.com how do you pick correct size and who makes such great clips? Thank you.
    </IMG>

Very Active Member

Rob:

I read your hypothesis on the nose clip for the backstroke. If you believe this theory to be true, wouldn't these same observations for backstroke be true for freestyle? Is it because we are face down that this theory would not work for free? Everything you stated about maximizing the underwater breakouts over surface swimming would be true in freestyle. Michael Phelps is a perfect example of this as an elite swimmer when he swims free. Perhaps because the dolphin kick on your back is harder, faster and more strenuous with streamling requiring more oxgen?

Also, when you raced backstroke with the nose clip, what race distance did you swim that allowed you to have the 4 to 5 yard advantage over swimming with non nose clips? I have experimented with nose clips and have found some interesting observations while using them and will share these observations with what I found out soon. I don't want to highjack this thread so I will report these findings on another thread.

I have never seen you swim backstroke and I am not trying to be funny, but I recall I read here on the forums that you said you got disqualified at the 2004 LC Nationals doing the 50 back in a relay for going beyond the 15 meter mark on your breakout at the begining of the race. I have never seen anybody do that yet in masters and if this is true then maybe you do need the nose clip to stay under that long. That is quite an accomplishment in itself to do that and be able to sprint a good 50 back and not be in oxgen bankruptcy while swimming on the surface.
    Skip Thompson

Very Active Member

Skip,

Rob's observation is right on the money for my experience with backstroke. When I don't exhale, water flows right in. When I do exhale it keeps out the water but shortens the breakout.

With freestyle, I don't have to exhale and water doesn't flow into the head. I'm presuming that this is purely the orientation of the body and how the water pressure acts in the nasal passages. When you are on your back, water can easily displace the oxygen in your nose and get into the head.
    When you are on your stomach, the trapped air bubble is much harder to displace from the nose, so freestyle is easier without the need for a nose clip.

You can think of this as an open jar submerged: If the mouth of the (open) jar is down (toward the bottom), the air trapped in the jar will remain (like freestyle). If the jar mouth is pointed up, the air escapes and water enters.

-- mel
    Mel Dyck
    • Certified Level 2 ASCA Coach
    • No longer a member of ASCA due to their meddling in the suit situation

Life is a joke and, if you are not laughing, you probably don't get it

Blog Entries

For a 50 back I can easily go 15m out and then turn and swim 15m underwater again, bringing my swimming grand total to 20 yards. I have trouble doing this on the 100, but I'm working on it.

I love underwater SDK on my back that's the only reason I started swimming backstroke. If you want to be able to do 15 on every turn for a 100 or 200 start working on the lung capacity, do it in practice so you can do it in a meet!
    "I don't race to see who is the fastest, I race to see who has the most guts."

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by meldyck View Post
    Skip,

Rob's observation is right on the money for my experience with backstroke. When I don't exhale, water flows right in. When I do exhale it keeps out the water but shortens the breakout.

With freestyle, I don't have to exhale and water doesn't flow into the head. I'm presuming that this is purely the orientation of the body and how the water pressure acts in the nasal passages. When you are on your back, water can easily displace the oxygen in your nose and get into the head.
    When you are on your stomach, the trapped air bubble is much harder to displace from the nose, so freestyle is easier without the need for a nose clip.

You can think of this as an open jar submerged: If the mouth of the (open) jar is down (toward the bottom), the air trapped in the jar will remain (like freestyle). If the jar mouth is pointed up, the air escapes and water enters.

-- mel
    Mel:

This makes sense to me. When the body is submerged on the stomach with your nose facing downward as opposted to upward on your back, gravity will aid the body so oxgen will be harder to exit and water would be harder to enter your nose as opposted to when your on your back and gravity will not work for you, thus the nose clips will combat what gravity can't do for you. However, do you feel there is a cost associated with having the nose clip on when swimming on the surface and not being able to breath with both the mouth and the nose.

The reason I bring this up is because I have never seen any of the elite swimmers recently use nose clips for there races especially in the 100 and 200 distances of backstroke. Perhaps the 50 back, but I don't recall who they are.

Two things come to mine when thinking about this.

1. That the oxgen cost of swimming on the surface is worth to much to save oxgen on the turns, especially in a Long Course 100 and 200 Back when using the nose clip.

2. That the elite swimmers are so good at staying under water for long time, that they would not need the nose clip and it would not hinder the breathing pattern with the mouth and nose working together.

Of course if a masters swimmer can't stay under for that period of time and thus gets water up the nose a lot, then the cost of not breathing on the surface thru the nose would be worth the use of the nose clip.
    Skip Thompson

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlyQueen View Post
    For a 50 back I can easily go 15m out and then turn and swim 15m underwater again, bringing my swimming grand total to 20 yards. I have trouble doing this on the 100, but I'm working on it.

I love underwater SDK on my back that's the only reason I started swimming backstroke. If you want to be able to do 15 on every turn for a 100 or 200 start working on the lung capacity, do it in practice so you can do it in a meet!

FlyQueen:

This is exactly why I asked what distance was being swam when using the nose clips. You didn't say anything about using nose clips so I assume you swim 2/3 of the 50 back without them. I have seen a lot of people go the 15 meters but not exceed it. I have seen more do it in short course then in long course as you would expect. I have also seen more people do it longer in the 100 and 200's in short course as opposed to long course.

The question becomes is this benefical to a masters swimmer racing in the 100 and 200 distances? Will the cost of oxgen swimming underwater affect the surface swimming when you need your speed, endurance, and technique to get you thru the races. It makes sense to go the limit underwater because its faster, but can an aging masters swimmer do this and not have other factors that hinder performance?

When I was at the World meet this summer I saw very few people do this in the 200 meter backstroke on the 2nd and 3rd turns. For that matter on the 200 fly, I didn't see anybody go the maximum 15 meters on all three turns and I specifically watched for this. This tells me that as a masters swimmer, the cost of oxgen in a race is more important for your speed to bring home a race then doing underwater turns and submerging and going into oxgen bankruptcy and not having the speed or stamina to bring the race home. Of course this wouldn't apply to a lot of the elite Olympic swimmers because they can master this and have the lung capacity and not be in oxgen bankruptcy.

I have never been able to do this very well in a long course 200 back because as I surface after the 100 and 150 turns I have no speed because I am trying to recover my oxgen from being underwater SDK for a prolonged time.
    Skip Thompson

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Thompson View Post
    This is exactly why I asked what distance was being swam when using the nose clips. You didn't say anything about using nose clips so I assume you swim 2/3 of the 50 back without them. I have seen a lot of people go the 15 meters but not exceed it. I have seen more do it in short course then in long course as you would expect. I have also seen more people do it longer in the 100 and 200's in short course as opposed to long course.

The question becomes is this benefical to a masters swimmer racing in the 100 and 200 distances? Will the cost of oxgen swimming underwater affect the surface swimming when you need your speed, endurance, and technique to get you thru the races. It makes sense to go the limit underwater because its faster, but can an aging masters swimmer do this and not have other factors that hinder performance?

When I was at the World meet this summer I saw very few people do this in the 200 meter backstroke on the 2nd and 3rd turns. For that matter on the 200 fly, I didn't see anybody go the maximum 15 meters on all three turns and I specifically watched for this. This tells me that as a masters swimmer, the cost of oxgen in a race is more important for your speed to bring home a race then doing underwater turns and submerging and going into oxgen bankruptcy and not having the speed or stamina to bring the race home.
    Frank:

I agree. I can stay underwater much longer on the 50. But on the 100 I can't stay under as long except maybe on the start. But Heather is only 26, so she may have a little more juice than us.

I'd also like to know if nose clips really cut down on sinus infections or only marginally like Rob said. It sounds painful, but I might consider one if this were true.

Blog Entries

I do not use a nose clip, but if I swim a lot backstroke in practice and all that water goes up my nose my sense of taste is off the next day ...

I believe Jerri Moss a 2005 World Champs team member in both backstrokes wore/wears a nose plug. I think she's retired but I'm not sure ...

I have seen some very impressive underwater work from some "elite" masters swimmers. When a teammate of mine swims the 200 fly he is close to blowing past the 15m mark off the start is close to 15 on each turn, this is short course. He finds it easier to stay underwater because it's less swimming.

All my backstroke racing, which is very limited, I know I could easily pop 20 off of the start and probably another 15 off of the second wall. In practice when we race every once in awhile I pop up at the flags - the far ones(we don't have any markings at the 15 mark).
    "I don't race to see who is the fastest, I race to see who has the most guts."

I have been using a nose clip for several years, primarily so I could swim longer underwater on my back. I am able to keep my air longer and my legs don't give out on me as quickly in a backstroke race. While it did take me a while to get used to breathing differently, ie not using my nostrils, I have been able to get much farther underwater on my back. The surprize benefit is the health of my sinuses, I don't feel all plugged up and sneezy after practice as before. I only use it for backstroke (and IM's) and take it off for other events and during practice unless I am swimming backstroke. I don't need it unless I am inverted underwater. I put a nose clip on my 10 year old daughter who would not put her face in the water at all, she then whipped through all the swimming lessons the pool offered in one summer. Maybe I can keep my mind on other things when I don't have to worry about a nasal flush, yech!
    Call me a convert, at about three bucks for a good synchro clip its worth a try for anyone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast