Thread: Getting used to colder water

Participating Member

Getting used to colder water

I am in the early stages of training for a long swim (11 hours) in water that will be 62-68 degrees. The water where I lived is in the mid to upper 40s right now. I'm seeking some advice on how to get myself ready to handle 11 hours in water that is around 62. I have time to acclimate (7 months until swim) , but I need some advice on how to do it.

Re: Getting used to colder water

Snape,

I would hazzard my bets on getting in shape to swim the 11 hours rather than worrying about the temperature. As long as you keep swimming and keep your breaks short, you're probably going to be pretty warm and will not notice the temperature all that much, other than for the fact that you are feeling pretty cool, as opposed to overheating.

Are you wearing a wetsuit? That will help dealing with the temperatures.
    Where is this 11 hour swim?

Make your breaks "active-rests". Don't stop moving. One way to do this is to continuously tread water (eggbeater drills work best for me).

Last night I was viewing Navy Seals BUDS Training on YouTube and you could see the guys shivering in the pool for their dive training phase. Awesome. Gotta admit, that fired me up a little.
    Come and visit http://isjaw.blogspot.com and leave your comments while you're at it !

I never trained in water under 60 degrees f although I have raced in water in the high 40s and 50s it is not fun. 60 to 63 is a breeze. Wear a bathing cap and if you get too warm let some cool water into the cap. If you are able to wear a wet suit it is actually a floating device. Don't do the egg beater kick the change will more than likely lead to cramps. If you stop for any reason just float and use a sculling motion. If you are in the Ocean the water will hold you up with very little effort.
    Keep it simple George Park
    Swimsuit Sale http://www.swimdownhill.com/index.html

Go to San Francisco Ca and swim at the Aquatic Park with the Dolphin Club or SERC swimmers. The SF bay stays about 55 all year round. There are people who go there to train for events from distant countries. The number of English Channel swimmers there in SF is high. Or go out and swim in waters
    you can find that are 55-60F. Many of the SF bay swimmers wear no wetsuits, but they all wear caps and many of them use insulated caps. See the page cold water caps at

http://www.geocities.com/lapswimr/coldwatercaps.html

for details on caps for cold water. Some caps are legal for English Channel records some are not . If you can't find water thats 55-60 find some thats colder and get a "swimming" wetsuit and swim.. Thats the main thing ..SWIM.