Thread: motivation

motivation

i dont know what has happened, but recently i just can't race well. it used to be that last year, i went to 1/2 the practices, slacked off, didn't try my best, but still improved all the time at meets.
    now, i attend every single practice, make all the intervals and give 100%, but when it comes to meets i just don't feel it. i think my problem is demotivation...
    i KNOW i can beat all my times and i KNOW i can swim fast, but when i dive into the pool i have trouble achieving best times.

can someone help? it really sucks being stuck in a rut.

Re: motivation

Some thoughts:

- Do some more sprint work in practice... Perhaps now that you're practicing all the time, you've become more of a distance freak as you've pounded out the yardage. Work on sprints on a regular basis in practice. Do a set of 50s on a descending interval (ie 12x50, start on :55/60, take 5 sec off every two, the last two are touch/go). Wrap up a workout with 2x100 off the blocks on 4:00 with your lanemates.

- Focus Meets vs. Swim-through meets... I am guessing you have an engame in mind (ie zones/nationals). Although these meets now are an important base, it is not imperative you swim PBs every time out. Without a taper, you're probably not that rested for these meets.

- Find a new event... Its easy to have a great season, get all kinds of PBs and then suffer a letdown the next season if you can't duplicate that success. Try adding in an event or two to your portfolio. The first time you swim a new event, it is guarenteed to be a PB! Pick something fun! Maybe shoot for something where you have an outside chance to make Top 10.

- Lighten up! Sounds like last year, you were very care-free. Take some of the pressure off yourself! Have more fun! Try going after some aquatic romance Trust me, that helps A LOT!!!

Very Active Member

One other possibility - you may be overtraining. If you swim too much for your current fitness level, your body will not be able to recover for the next workout. You can search through the other threads to find for information.

Good points globuggie:

swimchickee: Your body may just need time to adjust to the new regime you are putting it through. While it could be overtraining, more likely it is just your body saying "this is different." Give it time, don't give up, and you'll swim fast again!
    Swimming News, Talk, Video, and Tips at Swimnetwork.com
    Fantasy Swimming at FantaSwim.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
    Try going after some aquatic romance Trust me, that helps A LOT!!!
    but the really popular fish are so hard to catch.....and crustacians are way to spiky....and......

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chaos@ulster.net View Post
    but the really popular fish are so hard to catch.....and crustacians are way to spiky....and......
    Have you read The Secret Life of Lobsters? Not to give anything away, but interesting things happen when the female lobster sheds her shell...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chaos@ulster.net View Post
    The really popular fishes usually are already caught. (Except FlyQueen apparently. I don't understand that, she's so cool.)

Swimchickee:

Didn't you ask this same question in the "Plateaus and getting throught them" thread? I'm sorry you're still in a rut. Plateaus or relative plateaus can happen. If you recently started swimming and improved very quickly, you can't expect to keep improving at the same rapid rate. You can't always do PBs. Not sure what events you're swimming, but, if it's sprints, you may be talking tenths of a second.

I also agree with Muppet. You might need to sprint more. Some meets you just swim through to get experience and shouldn't worry too much about your times. Some people I know like practice so much they don't even worry about resting for meets at all. So don't worry about mid-season meets. They may be a good time to try off events too. It helps to not be too event locked. Or you could do what Paul Smith and Ande do successfully. They switch their event focus from season to season to vary their training and meet schedules.

I recall Quicksilver telling you you should be "SwimHawk" instead of swimchickee. This generally helps at meets. But if you're really nervous or uptight about meets and have a bit of a mental block, then you might just want to chill out and have more fun. Or maybe you're just swimming too many meets and need a break? Whatever it is, you either need to change your training or realize that you might be training hard and therefore can't do PBs all the time. If it's the latter, then a taper should yield some PBs.

Or maybe you should take a TI clinic and be more Mindful. Maybe a stroke change would help out. What does your coach say? Is he/she giving you feedback on your stroke technique?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress View Post
    The really popular fishes usually are already caught. (Except FlyQueen apparently. I don't understand that, she's so cool.)
    Awh thanks!! I hear it's because I am intimidating and that I have standards ... I'm planning on making my move for Rich soon ... a wife won't stand in my way!
    "I don't race to see who is the fastest, I race to see who has the most guts."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FlyQueen View Post
    Awh thanks!! I hear it's because I am intimidating and that I have standards ... I'm planning on making my move for Rich soon ... a wife won't stand in my way!
    555-3535

LOL

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FlyQueen View Post
    I am intimidating and that I have standards ...
    Same here. As usual. Whimps we are not, baby sister. That's why we're loud flyers. That's why we gotta have a cool guy who will drink beer and watch sports with us. Go get 'em girl.

Quote Originally Posted by swimchickee View Post
    i dont know what has happened, but recently i just can't race well. it used to be that last year, i went to 1/2 the practices, slacked off, didn't try my best, but still improved all the time at meets.
    now, i attend every single practice, make all the intervals and give 100%, but when it comes to meets i just don't feel it. i think my problem is demotivation...
    i KNOW i can beat all my times and i KNOW i can swim fast, but when i dive into the pool i have trouble achieving best times.

can someone help? it really sucks being stuck in a rut.
    It will happen overnight. It sounds like the plateau effect. You will have a record pb effect and you will swim faster then you think is possible.
    Keep it simple George Park
    Swimsuit Sale http://www.swimdownhill.com/index.html

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by richjb View Post
    555-3535

LOL
    Rich I tried calling but the number isn't valid ... my self confidence can't take another rejection ... I need to go cry now ....

"I don't race to see who is the fastest, I race to see who has the most guts."

thanks for the advice
    i think it might be that i'm not rested enough before meets, and that my body isn't quite used to training so hard.