Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clarifying Lane Etiquette

Clarifying Lane Etiquette

I need some help here folks.

Those of you who "know" me know that I am a beginning "serious" swimmer. I've been slowly but steadily working my way up to swimming a mile as my first goal I'm pleased with the progress I've made, feel stronger, dropped some pounds, added some muscle - all good stuff.

Because I am a slower swimmer, I've tried to be careful not to get in the way of stronger swimmers' workouts. I try to enter lanes where I can match the pace and let people pass me if I get overtaken.

Usually, if I share with just one other person, we split the lane down the middle rather than circle swim. This works out great. If we add another swimmer, we circle. I thought this was the norm for two people.

This evening, though, I asked to share a wall lane with a man who was a faster swimmer. All the other lanes had 2 people. No one was circling. I suggested we split the lane, and he said, no - circle swim only. I warned him that I swim slowly, but no dice. Circle swim only.

So we circle swam - no, he circle swam, and I got out of his way every 50-75 yards. I'm mad at myself because I messed my own workout up as I was pushing myself to swim faster and exhausted myself far short of my goal.

So, please help me out here: is it wrong to split a lane with just 2 people? What is the "right" way to handle this situation? As I develop into a stronger swimmer, I feel I have a place at the pool. I'm just not just where that is.

Many thanks - Barb

Very Active Member

Re: Clarifying Lane Etiquette

no, you shouldn't have had to stop if there was only two people in your lane. just swim like normal and let him pass you on your left. There is no that he can't do that.

Very Active Member Speedo Racer's Avatar

most pools post lap swimming etiquette rules somewhere...if you are talking about swimming during open rec swim that is. I've found, for the most part, that most rec swim participants don't follow the rules, such as swimming in the lane that is marked "Fast" when one is fast or "Medium" when one is not so fast etc. It is usually whatever lane is empty you take until all the lanes are full and then you start spliting the lanes until more people arrive etc. I've also found that it is generally up to the person that was there first to decide if the two people are going to split or circle.

Thanks to you both. One of the challenges of joining a new community is figuring out what the group norms are. I don't think it occurred to the fellow last night that he could flip on a turn signal and pass me mid-lane. I didn't think of it either.

Blog Entries

I agree with Kevin. The second person entering the lane should ask the first person whether they'd like to split the lane or circle swim. If he wants to circle it's not going to bother him (or shouldn't) that he's got to pass you regularly. You shouldn't alter your workout to try to avoid him. Just swim how you normally would and let him do his thing.

Count your blessings he asked to swim with you - and hopefully he was gentleman enough to thank you when whichever one of you got out first got out. I agree with Professor Nelson - first person there has squatters rights over circles vs. splits, even though most pool rules specifically mention "CIRCLE SWIM ONLY!!!"

When I am swimming during a rec swim and get a lanemate, I generally see them approaching during turns, etc., and will start taking a side and I finish whatever I am working on. When I stop and they ask to join, I welcome them to the lane, and tell them I will take *this side, and then push off at the closest :05/:10 on the clock to avoid any further interaction, such as you describe. If they don't like the arrangement, they're going to have to deal with it at least until my next interval is up.

To further discourage lanemates, warn them you are doing an interval workout that may include some fly. The massive splashage and wakeage could help to move a quasi-noodler to another lane.
    Last edited by Muppet; January 18th, 2007 at 11:55 AM. Reason: add the pool rules thing

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
    Count your blessings he asked to swim with you - and hopefully he was gentleman enough to thank you when whichever one of you got out first got out. I agree with Professor Nelson - first person there has squatters rights over circles vs. splits, even though most pool rules specifically mention "CIRCLE SWIM ONLY!!!"

When I am swimming during a rec swim and get a lanemate, I generally see them approaching during turns, etc., and will start taking a side and I finish whatever I am working on. When I stop and they ask to join, I welcome them to the lane, and tell them I will take *this side, and then push off at the closest :05/:10 on the clock to avoid any further interaction, such as you describe. If they don't like the arrangement, they're going to have to deal with it at least until my next interval is up.

To further discourage lanemates, warn them you are doing an interval workout that may include some fly. The massive splashage and wakeage could help to move a quasi-noodler to another lane.
    Oooooooooooooooooh i'm gonna travel to DC, disguise myself as paddler and join the lane with the fuzzy haired guy. The do a really bad, not getting hair wet breaststroke down the cneter and then blame you when we collide...

...did I mention that's what I got the other day. I virtually take toenails off on the lane line trying to stay out of the way, why do others not feel they need to? Obviously a bump here or there will happen...but lane hogging...GRRR.

Thanks for your perspective. This fellow was in the lane first and didn't discouraging from sharing. He insisted on circle swimming, which from what all of you say, is certainly his right. I've circle swam before, but usually with someone whom I'm fairly pace-matched with. This fellow wasn't a quasi-noodler, but a fast and solid swimmer. If he had passed me like Warren was suggesting, I wouldn't have had any problems, but I kept getting my ankle grabbed so I moved aside at turns for him.

I'm not upset at him (now, at least ), but was more upset that I didn't know how to handle or resolve the situation. I've read plently here from elite swimmers frustrated with novices who don't know the rules of the road, so I've tried hard to be considerate. Perhaps I won't be so meek (not usually a term applied to me) the next time it's just not working out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ensignada View Post
    Thanks for your perspective. This fellow was in the lane first and didn't discouraging from sharing. He insisted on circle swimming, which from what all of you say, is certainly his right. I've circle swam before, but usually with someone whom I'm fairly pace-matched with. This fellow wasn't a quasi-noodler, but a fast and solid swimmer. If he had passed me like Warren was suggesting, I wouldn't have had any problems, but I kept getting my ankle grabbed so I moved aside at turns for him.

I'm not upset at him (now, at least ), but was more upset that I didn't know how to handle or resolve the situation. I've read plently here from elite swimmers frustrated with novices who don't know the rules of the road, so I've tried hard to be considerate. Perhaps I won't be so meek (not usually a term applied to me) the next time it's just not working out.
    I know what etiquette should be but he should have gone side by side. His right or not, social etiquette would also include being accomadative where possible--it overules pool etiqutte IMHO. I think he was trying to passively "bully" you into another lane so he could be on his own. Was everyone else in the appropriate lane for their speed and ability?

Next time say "OK if you insist on circle but don't be touching my legs I find it offensive..."
    If he remonstrates let him know side by side will remedy the situation. If he tries to point you into a slower lane. Politely ask him if he feels it neccessary to make you share a lane with 2 other so he can swim alone. if he replies yes then tell him to get the guard to sort out all the lanes into appropriate speeds.

Blog Entries

There is nothing that quite annoys me more than this selfish attitude. I don't care what you are doing, you don't hog your lane cause you are doing some interval work or causing a lot of splash. Share the dang pool. When I can't find my own lane and have to share the first thing I look for is some blowhard who thinks he/she owns the lane and I jump right in with them.

Most people who come into a pool will first look for the empty lane. If you know there aren't empty lanes, you should go to one side of the lane you are in and leave room for other swimmers, regardless of their ability.

As to this situation, some swimmers, especially those who swam competitively for a long time, seem to prefer circle swimming. I have to constantly remind my daughter to not circle swim in meets. It could just be a habit and nothing insidious, although it is more fun to speculate about sinister motives!

Very Active Member scyfreestyler's Avatar

I made a few people downright irate by refusing to circle swim when there was only two people in a lane. What is the point? Three or more I would have no problem but some people feel the need to circle swim all the time, like it somehow justifies their existence.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aquageek View Post
    There is nothing that quite annoys me more than this selfish attitude. I don't care what you are doing, you don't hog your lane cause you are doing some interval work or causing a lot of splash. Share the dang pool. When I can't find my own lane and have to share the first thing I look for is some blowhard who thinks he/she owns the lane and I jump right in with them.

Most people who come into a pool will first look for the empty lane. If you know there aren't empty lanes, you should go to one side of the lane you are in and leave room for other swimmers, regardless of their ability.

As to this situation, some swimmers, especially those who swam competitively for a long time, seem to prefer circle swimming. I have to constantly remind my daughter to not circle swim in meets. It could just be a habit and nothing insidious, although it is more fun to speculate about sinister motives!
    Geek I think Muppet got a little confused as to who was there first, and thought the guy came after and acted unreasonably.
    I think his response was a bit light hearted though.
    Just trying to prevent a scrap.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler View Post
    I made a few people downright irate by refusing to circle swim when there was only two people in a lane. What is the point? Three or more I would have no problem but some people feel the need to circle swim all the time, like it somehow justifies their existence.
    I likewise refuse to circle swim when I'm swimming alone in my rec pool and there's 2 people per lane. There is no point. That way, if you are different speeds, you swim unimpeded. In my experience, people seem pretty content with splitting the lane.

I have no problem sharing a lane with a slower swimmer. No one should have to wait for a lane. And I'm happy to dodge them on fly. But I don't want to circle swim with them. If I were you, Barb, I would be pissed at having my ankle repeatedly grabbed.

Besides, circle swimming just reinforces circle swimming. Don't want to be circle swimming in meets. (Just watched my daughter do this big time her last 200 free.) Nice to have a chance to swim straight when you're not practicing with the team.

Don't worry, Barb, Muppet won't think it's a "scrap." More likely to laugh and give a .

Blog Entries

I shouldn't pick on the muppet. I was more directing my soap box speech towards the lane hoggers, most of whom will never swim Masters, or own anything other than baggy trunks.

Blog Entries

I've actually found the worst situation is to have someone slightly slower than you (or slightly faster). Say one or the other is lapping the other guy every few hundred yards. Your speeds are close enough that it will be fairly difficult to pass other than if someone stops at the wall. If one person is way faster than the other passing is easy and shouldn't really mess up either the slow or the fast swimmer.

Quote Originally Posted by richjb View Post
    I know what etiquette should be but he should have gone side by side. His right or not, social etiquette would also include being accomadative where possible--it overules pool etiqutte IMHO. I think he was trying to passively "bully" you into another lane so he could be on his own. Was everyone else in the appropriate lane for their speed and ability?

Next time say "OK if you insist on circle but don't be touching my legs I find it offensive..."
    If he remonstrates let him know side by side will remedy the situation. If he tries to point you into a slower lane. Politely ask him if he feels it neccessary to make you share a lane with 2 other so he can swim alone. if he replies yes then tell him to get the guard to sort out all the lanes into appropriate speeds.
    Well, he did succeed in getting me into another lane. As soon as the aerobicizers were out, I was in. Unfortunately, I was pretty worn out by then and didn't get much accomplished.

I'm trying not be be all "sour grapes" about this. I feel we both could have had a nice, unfrustrating swim if he had been more accomodating. Who knows, maybe he did want a lane to himself (don't we all?) and was purposely pushing the novice around. Or, maybe he was so wrapped up in what he was doing that he didn't notice or care how I was being impacted. Maybe he's just a Class A Jerk? I will handle the situation better next time. As I tell my daughter all the time, we can't make choices for other people, we can just make choices for ourselves. (Rolling eyes like she does, out the door...)

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler View Post
    I prefer it because it is less time spent side by side, which means I am less likely to whack you. I also like having the whole wall for my turns. To some people that is more important than being passed (though I agree he should have just gone around). So way to be a bully and insist that your wholly irrational preference trumps someone else's wholly irrational preference.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aquageek View Post
    I shouldn't pick on the muppet. I was more directing my soap box speech towards the lane hoggers, most of whom will never swim Masters, or own anything other than baggy trunks.
    Hey I used to wear baggy shorts...

Quote Originally Posted by ensignada View Post
    Well, he did succeed in getting me into another lane. As soon as the aerobicizers were out, I was in. Unfortunately, I was pretty worn out by then and didn't get much accomplished.
    Barb...I think he acted a little selfish. If you can breaststroke a good "mis-kick" for each ankle grab seems a fair trade

We all hop into the empty lane when it's there...it's better for all...especially those flyers and the divine breaststrokers among us.

I am grateful to all who I swim with at my Y that they are gracious and encouraging and helpful. Even if the odd rec swimmer gets in my way now and then I know they don't intend it and I can usally work around them until they're done. I was a rec swimmer too 3 months ago.

Very Active Member scyfreestyler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by some_girl View Post
    I prefer it because it is less time spent side by side, which means I am less likely to whack you. I also like having the whole wall for my turns. To some people that is more important than being passed (though I agree he should have just gone around). So way to be a bully and insist that your wholly irrational preference trumps someone else's wholly irrational preference.
    Bully? Nah. Just being reasonable as opposed to irrational.

Quote Originally Posted by richjb View Post
    Barb...I think he acted a little selfish. If you can breaststroke a good "mis-kick" for each ankle grab seems a fair trade
    Ok, it did occur to me after a couple hundred yards, that if I stopped dead in the water when he grabbed my ankle and make him swim over half of me, I could restart my flutter kick at a really inconvenient time for him. Just kidding!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast