Thread: Evening workouts- post-workout snack?

Very Active Member Julie Roddin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Evening workouts- post-workout snack?

Hi everyone! I'm new here and have a quick question for those of you who swim in the evening. Recently I have been trying to figure out dinner/snacks in conjunction with evening swim practice (usually ending at 9 pm). Most days I eat a small dinner in between work and swimming (either a PBJ or small serving of veggies/chicken) and then go swim and then eat cereal when I get home. I wake up so hungry in the morning, but can't figure out what to do.

I've tried eating more dinner before the workout, but can't swim well with that full feeling in my tummy. I've tried eating more after the workout, but usually go to bed by 10:30 and don't like to go to sleep on a full stomach.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

Blog Entries

Re: Evening workouts- post-workout snack?

Quote Originally Posted by julieopl View Post
    Hi everyone! I'm new here and have a quick question for those of you who swim in the evening. Recently I have been trying to figure out dinner/snacks in conjunction with evening swim practice (usually ending at 9 pm). Most days I eat a small dinner in between work and swimming (either a PBJ or small serving of veggies/chicken) and then go swim and then eat cereal when I get home. I wake up so hungry in the morning, but can't figure out what to do.

I've tried eating more dinner before the workout, but can't swim well with that full feeling in my tummy. I've tried eating more after the workout, but usually go to bed by 10:30 and don't like to go to sleep on a full stomach.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!
    I can't suggest but can commiserate. I got into a because of dinner last night. I wanted to eat prior but it was tacos...that would have repeated on me even if I waited 3 hours to swim.

I ate at 10PM. went to bed at 11:30. Pre swim I had 1 slice breat with peanutbutter (i'll spare you my ranting about PBJ lol), and a banana.

I swam pretty hard and, but I am hungry right now. I hat Bran flakes, OJ, Tea.
    Got to work and had a "Kudos" bar, and 3 mugs of coffee. I am now going to have water. If you're worried about overeating, I suggest some rice cakes and honey or apples/pears. It sounds like you're in a similar boat to me.

Back is faster than Fly poolraat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've been swimming in the evening lately because our pool isn't opening in the morning due to the cold. I'm usually finished before 7 and don't feel like eating much for about an hour. Then if I eat a full dinner I don't sleep well. What I've started doing is eating a big meal at lunchtime then having a snack of fruit or yogurt and cheese an hour or so before I swim. After swimming I have a very light meal.
    I have entered the snapdragon stage of my life (Part of me has snapped and the rest of me is draggin ).

If I have to swim at night, I get a light breakfast and go to lunch as early as possible. Then I eat the dinner at least 3 hours before I start my workout. If I can not have a chance to eat any dinner before practice, bananas are very stomack friendly, cause no problem even if I eat closer to the workout. I especially avoid eating oily food and drinking sparkling drinks in dinner before workouts. If I eat nothing at all for more than 6 hours before my workout, I drink 1/2liters of water and 1/2 liters of Powerade/Gatorade during the workout. Night or very early morning work outs are not favorable for me, I like late morning or early evening workouts.

Very Active Member Concho Pearl's Avatar

It's weird to plan eating around swim time, but we have to.

If I swim in the evening I eat a good lunch. Get home from running errands about 4:30-5:00 fix dinner for the family. Ask them to save me some. Get to pool about 6:30- 7:00 and swim for an hour or so.. come home eat. Clean up.

I usually eat less dinner after swimming, but I'm hungry so I do want to eat. I guess it's because by the time I swim and hit the showers and drive home it's been almost an hour.

If I swim in the afternoon I eat a power bar and have water for lunch, then go swim about 2:00. And have a good dinner. On the weekends I swim about 12;00 on Sat. and 1:00 Sun. so I don't eat anything until I get home which is anywhere from 2:00- 3:00 so I figure why eat a big lunch, dinner is just in a couple hours. so I just snack maybe have a power bar and then have a good dinner.