Thread: Warm up Routine

Participating Member

Warm up Routine

Can anyone help me with how best to structure a warm up for my swimmers who enter a lot of 50m sprint races?

Thank you

John Nethercott
    Plymouth Leander Masters (UK)

Very Active Member

Re: Warm up Routine

Hmmm ... I'm loathe to offer advice on this one because warmups serve such a critical function in a practice that it's generally best not to tweak the old standby (500 free) too much, I find. However, I think after the first 200 or so, some adjustments are possible. For instance, you could have your swimmers sprint the fourth length of every 100 mark after 200 (so, on the length that completes 300, 400, and 500 meters). That would give them 275 meters to limber up a bit before taxing themselves with a 25 sprint, 75 more meters before another, and then another 75 yards before one last sprint. The trouble with such a warmup is that it relies much on your swimmers' self discipline, since it is hard for you to keep track of everyone's 12th, 16th, and 20th lengths. The benefit of such a successfully executed warm up is that it helps build in your swimmers an internal alarm clock needed to crank up the speed when one is running on automatic. Too often, swimmers set themselves mentally for sprint but slip into a slower, automatic pace by the time of the flipturn. Mandating that they sprint only at certain times builds in them the self-discipline to fight the temptation to move automatically.

In any case, I read a study at some point evaluating whether it was better to stretch at the beginning or end of practice, and it found that it is most beneficial after an initial warmup. So, regardless of what warmup set that you choose to kick off practice, be sure to have them stretch thereafter.

--Sean

For a typical 4500 SCY workout, I usually have my swimmers do something on the order of S300/K200/P300 followed by some 50's on a moderate interval to get the heart rate up before the main set.

Tree

I like the Kick/Swim/Pull at 200-500 each. I prefer this order to help me concentrate on my kicking count. After a kick warm-up you can definitely feel them when you start your swim warm-up.

In Golf you have Swing Thoughts...that one element (of many) that you want to work/concentrate on at the range or a weekend round.

Well...

K/S/P helps me with my Swim Thoughts!
    I keep telling my coaches, "I am a sprinter" and "they keep saying you swim short races, but that is not the same thing." - Some Girl

John,

Are you asking how to warm-up for a practice or for a meet?

I have seen some of the great sprinters getting ready to swim a fifty, two did nothing but light up a couple of cigarettes. Others 200 meters and some as much as 2000m. Some - some light exercises. I was a hot shower guy and wrap warm towels around my legs and over my shoulders.
    Keep it simple George Park
    Swimsuit Sale http://www.swimdownhill.com/index.html

I will address this based on it being a pre-race swim.

400 free with 200 of that an ez free stretching as they go. This can be a broken 400 swim. The remaining 200 yds would be an increase in pace a bit with every other length a different stroke for continued stretching purposes.

4x50s at 50% max with 20 seconds rest.

4x25's; each 25 increasing in max effort; last one all out.

Two block starts each swimmer and each length of pool at 80%. (2x25s)

200 ez swim of their choice because they will swim this 200 based on how they feel.
    Insanity is hereditary--you get it from your kids