Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A day in the life...

Very Active Member Peter Cruise's Avatar

Exclamation A day in the life...

I don't know if any of you have been following the new feature at the Swimming World website called "A day in the life" which has been following the daily routine (written by the subject) of various swimmers. It has been fascinating reading anyway, but now they feature a masters swimmer: Dennis Baker. We have expressed awe and admiration for his feats, now learn what he does to achieve his high level plus his life on a veritable coaching merry-go-round. And do note that most of his workouts are in meters. Day 2 has just been posted.
    Life keeps throwing curve balls; the trick, I'm learning, is to duck...

Blog Entries

Re: A day in the life...

This pretty much says it all:

"In Saturday's practice, my main set was 10x300's Butterfly on the 4:15, descend slightly all the way through and hold stroke and hold every other breathing pattern. I tried to stay steady on this and started at 3:45 and got down to 3:35. This is in a 25-meter pool."

If you've seen Dennis swim you'd believe he could do this, but still, wow!

Very Active Member scyfreestyler's Avatar

I saw him swim at Santa Clara last year in a consolation final. There was a much younger swimmer in the lane next to him swimming freestyle who had a hard time keeping up as I recall!

About the fly commentary, why the obsession with breathing every other stroke when one of the two fastest flyers in the world breathes on every stroke?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler View Post
    About the fly commentary, why the obsession with breathing every other stroke when one of the two fastest flyers in the world breathes on every stroke?
    That might work for Michael Phelps, but it doesn't work for everybody. My body position suffers when I breathe every stroke.

Back is faster than Fly poolraat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    That might work for Michael Phelps, but it doesn't work for everybody. My body position suffers when I breathe every stroke.
    I only learned fly about 3 years ago (still learning) and find that by breathing every stroke my rhythm is better. And when I try to breathe every 2nd or 3rd I lose both the rhythm and body position. Besides, I'm an air hog. I want all I can get as often as I can get it.
    I have entered the snapdragon stage of my life (Part of me has snapped and the rest of me is draggin ).

Blog Entries

Me too. Breathing every stroke makes my hips drop and I feel like I'm swimming uphill. I can't get into a rhythm either.

10 x 300 fly is insane ...

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Ditto. The harder a set gets, the more I try to keep my head down. Though I might amend it slightly and say my energy suffers because it is harder to keep my body position. Besides, I get better breaths if I exhale for two.

CreamPuff

10x300s fly? I could not locate where he did that.
    Is there a link for that Sat workout? I could not hack that.

I found where he posted his Tuesday, January 30 practice which seemed reasonable.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (S)he-Man View Post
    10x300s fly? I could not locate where he did that.
    Is there a link for that Sat workout?
    Yeah, he mentioned it in his day one writeup: http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...news/13563.asp

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress View Post
    Me too. Breathing every stroke makes my hips drop and I feel like I'm swimming uphill. I can't get into a rhythm either.

10 x 300 fly is insane ...
    That is my main challenge on my Butterfly . How many strokes do you take between each breath, Fortress, and do you keep the rhythm up consistently, or just take a breath when you need one?
    If you want a place in the sun, you have to put up with a few blisters. Abigail Van Buren

CreamPuff

Yeah, he mentioned it in his day one writeup: http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...news/13563.asp
    Thanks Kirk. I missed that page.

Hmmm. . . I happily revel in my slowness rather than do that set.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swim4me View Post
    That is my main challenge on my Butterfly . How many strokes do you take between each breath, Fortress, and do you keep the rhythm up consistently, or just take a breath when you need one?
    Kathy:

I think it totally depends on many factors such as whether you've been engine building, age, race distance, core strength, personal preference.

As for myself, if I'm swimming a 50, I try to breathe only 3-4 times. I'm now trying to stay underwater SDK-ing for awhile. (I can't do nearly the whole 15 meters on the second length though. Working on it.) On the 100, I would breathe every other stroke. I find I need the oxygen swimming the 100. I never do the 200 (see "whine" thread where I left you shoulder advice). That is left in my youth. In practice, I'd say unless I'm doing 25s or race pace 50s, I'm pretty much breathing every other stroke on most fly sets or IMs. But I'm sure others may be different, and they can weigh in. Good luck!

Blog Entries

Kathy:

I think it totally depends on many factors such as whether you've been engine building, age, race distance, core strength, personal preference.

As for myself, if I'm swimming a 50, I try to breathe only 3-4 times. I'm now trying to stay underwater SDK-ing for awhile. (I can't do nearly the whole 15 meters on the second length though. Working on it.) On the 100, I would breathe every other stroke. I find I need the oxygen swimming the 100. I never do the 200 (see "whine" thread where I left you shoulder advice). That is left in my youth. In practice, I'd say unless I'm doing 25s or race pace 50s, I'm pretty much breathing every other stroke on most fly sets or IMs. But I'm sure others may be different, and they can weigh in. Good luck!
    Fortress - Thanks for the advice and info. We are pretty much the same age. Since Fly is a struggle for me (oxygen-wise), I will be sticking with 50's (in competition) until I prove to myself that I have the same talent for Fly that I had at one time in breastroke (I will try to do a 100 in competition in March and see how close to my high school time I can get). I believe from what I am reading from you and others that my main emphasis needs to be on engine building for my Fly. Last Sunday I went to the pool by myself and in addition to other things, including 1 X 25yd Butterfly, did lots of SDK's (25y) all underwater with no breath. At least that was my goal and I was able to do most of them. I think if I can build my engine to only need one breath/25 of Fly I will feel much better about this stroke. My technique is good (unless I have to breathe a lot), otherwise my coach would not be pushing me in this direction. I just have to get used to using my shoulders this way. Thank for the shoulder advice on the 'Aches and Pains' thread. I will be doing some research on your suggestions.
    If you want a place in the sun, you have to put up with a few blisters. Abigail Van Buren

Kathy:

Breathing in butterfly is really inefficient. Since your head is like a rudder, breathing straight ahead like we do in fly gets your whole body position out of whack and we then have to fight to quickly get back to a correct position (thats the 2nd dolphin kick of every stroke cycle).
    I tend to breathe at least every other stroke until the piano starts falling.
    You should try a 200 once or twice for sheets and googles. Unless you are actually trying, its not really as bad as it sounds
    Last edited by Muppet; January 31st, 2007 at 08:54 PM. Reason: expose leslie to some hard yardage
    man up, buttercup!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
    You should try a 200 once or twice for sheets and googles. Unless you are actually trying, its not really as bad as it sounds
    I am not yet possessed by demons like that Barra fellow. I might possibly (in a million years) consider trying it for tricks and giggles if I actually swam in more meets and went to all my team practices. Since I can't make it to that many during the school year, I tend to be choosy, trying to swim my better events at the fast pools (and skip those obscenely early meets that conflict with my kids' stuff -- good luck this weekend!). But I have a couple events that I'd like to say "I did it" about. Just not that one. I raced William in the 200 fly in practice last fall. That was enough for me. Shortly thereafter, with a bunch of 4 IMs and more fly, the achey breakies started. So, as much as I love fly, I have to restrain myself and pretend to be a sometime backstroker.

Plus, who wants to race if you're not "actually trying?" I'm sure I could dolphin dive the whole 200. But that's no fun. Much more fun to actually go fast at a meet IMHO.

Kathy:

Engine building is more for the 100 and 200 fly. You need an engine to prevent undue breakdown and cardiac arrest. Underwater SDKs are great. I love them. But they help you more with SDK-ing than building an aerobic base. I guess they help with getting used to breath holding. Anyway, for the 50 and 100, they're key. I'm glad you have good technique. It's pretty indispensible.
    Last edited by The Fortress; February 1st, 2007 at 09:13 AM. Reason: expose Muppet to life in the real world

Blog Entries

try working on breathing with your chin in the water. if you do it well, some one standing behind you should not be able to tell which strokes you are breathing on.
    for racing i follow:
    50- breathe when necessary
    100- breathe 2 or 3 strokes
    200- breathe every stroke. (air is food)

in practice, the waves often dictate just how high i have to come up to breathe, but i still like to breathe every stroke. it also helps to identify potential collisions (and help avoid them) in our 6 foot wide lane pool.

Talking Re: A day in the life...

David- your latest picture perfectly illustrates the demonic possession necessary to the swimming of 200 fly.

Very Active Member newmastersswimmer's Avatar

David- your latest picture perfectly illustrates the demonic possession necessary to the swimming of 200 fly.
    posted by That Northern Dude

I agree, I often call forth my inner demon "The Bork" (a terrifying monster that possessed my soul many years ago) every time I get ready for a 200 fly race.

Newmastersswimmer

p.s. Dennis Baker is insane!...but a clear swimming Demi-God. I read somewhere that he likes to enter the 500 free at some agegroup meets and he swims them butterfly. I think he went like 5:07 or so in one of those swims?.....
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

"I would love to help you out.....Which way did you come in?" Groucho Marx

"24 beers in a case and 24 hours in a day....Coincidence?" Steven Wright

Blog Entries

All I'll say is you Fly-nuts better get in th water. The Breaststrokers are coming to play...you wouldn't want us to do 200's and show you how it's done now would you...

/flex (both arms)

LOL

I should be careful Dave Barra is close enough to drive to my pool and psyche me out...his pictures don't scare me though

Yeah, we could trade stories of violent, painful deaths at the 200 distance for both strokes. I feel that Leslie finds the thought of a 200 fly repulsive because of some horrendous incident as a young swimmer, however, I sense that she's on the edge of letting herself be talked into it. I'll pay to watch...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast