Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weights & Swimming

Weights & Swimming

Hi there. It's been a while since I lifted weights... (college) - and I was wondering...

Since my time is limited and I can't make multiple trips to the rec during the day, would it be smarter for me to lift before I swim or after?

What are your thoughts on a personal trainer to help get started?

I realized that I need to start lifting because of how I swam today at my meet. I've been doing some great work at practice - but I think I need a little bit of assistance.

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Made with real lightning!

Re: Weights & Swimming

While I have heard of people recommending lifting after swimming,I find before is much better for me. Swimming helps me to stretch out and I'm much less sore than the other way. Also I like swimming more so it's dessert.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

My husband has always recommended to me that I do weights before cardio. Your body gets so worn out from the cardio that it isn't as efficient and can't be pushed as hard to lift weights.

All the age group teams I know have lifted weights before their workout, too.

I have no idea if this is good advice but it's reasonably seemed to work for me.

As a younger swimmer, we lifted intensely before at least three of our afternoon workouts each week. As I remember, we didn't need much warmup for the swim following those sessions. We all had shoulder problems of one form or another, whether from overdistance, poor form, the weights, or just growth pains I can't say.

You could search the forum, but if I remember the collective wisdom, if one is trying to protect their older shoulders, the weights and associated stretching might not be preferable before swimming.

Personally, I do a short cardio bit as a warmup, then lift weights, then do a longer cardio after. If I swim before weights, I can usually jump right into it without the first cardio because my heart rate is still up there and my shoulders, etc. are warmed up (maybe exhausted, too....).

Good luck,

DV

Quote Originally Posted by dvarner View Post
    Personally, I do a short cardio bit as a warmup, then lift weights, then do a longer cardio after.
    I should have mentioned that part too. I usually give myself a light ten minute warmup before doing any weights. Then do weights. Then a longer cardio afterwards (30-60 minutes).

Quote Originally Posted by m2tall2 View Post
    I should have mentioned that part too. I usually give myself a light ten minute warmup before doing any weights. Then do weights. Then a longer cardio afterwards (30-60 minutes).

So, maybe I should jump on the elliptical trainer (with the moving bars to get my arms warmed up) before I start lifting?

Good point about lifting first... the arms won't be as tired.

Thanks!
    Made with real lightning!

I forgot too,definitely warm up completely before weights. I do 15 min stationary bike and 10 min stability ball work before weights and then I start with my light weight rotator cuff work before moving to heavy (for me)weights.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Very Active Member

you have to lift before swimming ir you dont want to get hurt.
    The clock does not lie

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dvarner View Post
    We all had shoulder problems of one form or another, whether from overdistance, poor form, the weights, or just growth pains I can't say.

Just had to have a laugh first as I put on my biofreeze to go to practice.

Now, I lift before I swim if I'm doing both consecutively. (Plus, it burns more calories during the swim if you lift first!) Sometimes I lift and do other cardio on days I'm not swimming. I do rotator cuff stuff well after swimming, if possible.

If you haven't done weights in awhile, you might want a personal trainer so you are using proper technique. Or, you could look at Ande's blog to see what swimming-specific type of weight training he does.

Actually with crosstraining, I find the one you want to have the best work-out in, is the one you want to do first. If you do weights first, the swimming will somewhat suffer because you will be fatigued from weights. If you do swimming first, weights will suffer because of fatigued from weights.

There are also plusses as people mentioned. Weights first, stretch out in swimming, swimming first, be warmed up for weights.

What I do, is I do these things at different times, actually for sake of my time. If I lift in the morning, I swim later in the day. Or I swim early, and lift after work. If I lift within 24 hours of swimming, I always feel a bit fatigued in my swim, just part of it.

The older kids on the swim team and the HS team does lifting twice a week for one of their morning practices, no swimming with it, the time is entirely dryland.

Back is faster than Fly poolraat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What specific lifting do you do? Ande had posted what he does what I'd like to see what others are doing for weight training. I'm trying to put together a 30 minute routine that I can do 2 or 3 times weekly. I already do a stretch band routine daily just for my shoulders, but am looking for some additional stuff.
    I have entered the snapdragon stage of my life (Part of me has snapped and the rest of me is draggin ).

Actually, you all will think I am wacked, but I use video tapes. I specifically like this persons work-outs because she caters towards advanced exercisers and does not have a hokey persona. www.cathe.com

Blog Entries

[quote=poolraat;78162]What specific lifting do you do? quote]

I swim three days a week with my coach and on weekends on my own when I can fit it in. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I go to the gym first thing in the morning, do 30 - 40 minutes of the stairmill (or ARC or elipse to mix things up) to get my cardio as high as I can do without falling off of the stairmill . Then I do one set, as heavy as I can lift (usually the younger guys the lift before or after me use much lighter weights (I am a 44 yo F)) for 8 - 15 reps. I do the leg press, the push row, the pull row (the push and pull rows are much lighter weights than I can do if I just push or pull without the row, the row is more difficult, so I use lighter weights), the ham string lift, leg extentions, lat pull down (in front) and triceps. Then I go through a modified yoga stretch and meditate for 5 minutes before I begin my work day. This takes about 1 hour and I feel fabulous afterwards and can really tell the difference in my muscle definition. (The weights I choose to do for my arms help with free and breaststroke and hopefully butterfly).
    If you want a place in the sun, you have to put up with a few blisters. Abigail Van Buren

Blog Entries

hey Sarah-how did the meet go this weekend? Were there a lot of people there? I love that meet and was bummed I could not swim. I went to the dr on Friday, guess its not as bad as I thought. I have rotator cuff tendinitis in both shoulders. Im on some good anti inflamatories and have 3 weeks of physical therapy ahead of me. Thinking I will take all this week outta the water and get back in next week even though I was told to stay out. Figure I could just do some major kicking and rest the shoulders.

I honestly do not think this injury is from swimming. I think its me trying to me he-man with the weights and doing some not advisable weight exercises with the 25lb dumbells as I try and simulate the butterfly arm motion while having dumbbells. I also have same problem on treadmill where I get on that thing and somehow I think I am a marathon runner, which im not. Sometimes I guess I am a little to over zealous with things and u would think I would learn, but Im one to always push myself.

Anyways, hope to see ya in the pool next week.

greg

Very Active Member newmastersswimmer's Avatar

Sorry to hear about your injuries Greg....Good luck with the recovery...I hope you won't be hampered too much. Kicking a lot is a good idea for maintaining your fitness level (and to improve your kick anyway which is so crucial in fly)....Just curious....what age group are you in? I noticed you listed the 200 fly as your favorite event. Nice choice.

Newmastersswimmer
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

"I would love to help you out.....Which way did you come in?" Groucho Marx

"24 beers in a case and 24 hours in a day....Coincidence?" Steven Wright

Blog Entries

I just entered the 40-44 group. I'll survive this shoulder problem,just a minor bump in the road. Who knows, I might even come back stronger after some physical therapy. Kicking will be good for me for a few week. I have a excellent fly kick, but my freestyle kick could use some improvements.

So, maybe after 2 weeks of kicking only my shoulders will have healed then my legs will be all screwed up lol

Its bound to even out at some point.

greg

So I guess we're in the same age group and we both listed the 200 fly as our favorite events.....somehow I think you are probably faster than me....but maybe we will get to race eachother somewhere down the road? I probably won't swim any meets untill next short course season....I want to be ready for SCYNats in 2008 (in Austin TX)...so this is the next big meet I am gearing for....I need to lose 40 or 50 pounds between now and then though...LOL!
    Nice meeting you Greg.

Newmastersswimmer
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

Blog Entries

Nice meeting you also. I think my meets are done for a bit. I was planning on not doing any meets this summer. Just wanted to take the summer off from competetion but still continue to train, just not as intense.

I love the 200 fly, anytime ya wanna race, let me know :-)

I went to the physical therpist today. She gave me all kinds of exercises to do. She seems to think that my front upper body is more developed than my upper back causing my shoulders to roll forward giving me pain in da shoulders. Hopefully I can get rid of the pain and be in pool soon :-)

greg

Blog Entries

Greg that is super commong among swimmers. Work on your posture. Rows are good, too. Also backstroke, I know, blech, will help to work the opposing muscles.
    "I don't race to see who is the fastest, I race to see who has the most guts."

I love the 200 fly, anytime ya wanna race, let me know :-)

posted by Born2fly

Can you give me a "rough" idea what I might be facing here first...I know I made the initial challenge and all .....but what kind of time might I be expecting you to go on a fairly good day (If you don't mind me asking that is).

Newmastersswimmer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast