Thread: What's your swimming to non-swimming workout ratio?

What's your swimming to non-swimming workout ratio?

I don't have a tons of time to work out but I consider the amount respectable. I get about 6 hours a week on a very good week. 4.5-5 hours is more normal.

I had previously doing about 90% or more of this time in the pool. This week I had to shake things up a bit because my hectic schedule was getting the better of me. It's easier for me to do out of the pool workouts when this happens because I have a mini-home gym so I gain travel time.

This week I swam only 4 hours, did 1 hour of rowing (2x30 minutes) and did 3x 10-15 minute weight sessions. That's about 72% swimming.

I feel like I have made significant time improvements in the pool this week. My technique even feels a little better.

I can't decide if I've accidentally given myself a mini-taper, or if I need a different workout balance for swimming vs. non-swimming workouts. I assumed since I only had a little bit a time that the more pool time the better. Now I am questioning this.

So, what's your % workout time swimming in a week?

Do you think this helps your swimming?

What ratio do you think is optimal?

Re: What's your swimming to non-swimming workout ratio?

It really depends what you want to swim. Sprinters and breaststrokers probably need more weight work than distance swimmers. I have relatively limited time like you and my ratio is about2:1 swimming to dry land stuff. I do stability ball work for core strength sometimes watching television(do not attempt if you have small children.)
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Since the pool is not easy to get to, and Champaign continues to get rid of pools, so it is not get any easier each year, I only get 3-4 hours in the pool. I work-out 1-2 hours a day 5-6 days a week though, so my ratio is much more skewed toward other work-outs besides swimming. I wish I could have more swimming, but I can't, so it is what it is.

Blog Entries

I'd say overall 90% of my exercise time is swimming.

Me too. Around 4 to 5 hours in the pool, 15-20 min. dryland. Probably that's why I can't increase my speed as much as I want.

-Swim 4 days/week, 1hr 15 min each swim (will increase to five once we get our Fri AM practices back).
    -Pilates/Abs 2-3x/week, about 30 minutes per wkout.
    -(This week) I'm gonna start lifting weights & elliptical trainer 2x/week, probably gonna start out with 30 minutes/wkout and work up from there.
    Made with real lightning!

Very Active Member

Right now, 90% or more swimming. After this month, life should settle down a bit, so hopefully I'll be able to add more dryland and make it closer to 75% swimming.

Do any of you think the amount of swimming to non-swimming is helpful? A couple seemed to indicate that you wish you did more weights?

Does anyone think they've found the right balance purposefully or are people just doing what they have time to do and enjoy the most?

I understand Allen makes a good point that it depends on your stroke and distance. I like to consider myself a breastroker and middle distance freestyler. Maybe that's why the extra weights helped my breaststroke?

Blog Entries

My opinion is swimming is the most important so that takes precedence for me. If I get in the amount of swimming per week I think I need and have additional time, THEN I'll think about adding other types of exercise.