Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanna do 100IM Tips gladly accepted please.

Blog Entries

Wanna do 100IM Tips gladly accepted please.

I'm not too worried about the turning aspects...just a little unsure of what to do at the backstroke to breast turn.

Also any good workouts for this?

I'm doing 900 free for warm up (0-1650 in 6 weeks) then trey to do another 1500 per workout.
    I've obviously been hitting breast but want to get some fly and back work in as well as turns--obviously I can always go to the wall and touch then turn but that's inefficient.

Is doing a 100 IM then hitting sets of 50 of fly and back or what? I've ordered a couple of books for reference and they should get here shortly.

Any thoughts or articles?

Re: Wanna do 100IM Tips please.

You'll probably get tips from people a lot more knowledgeable than me, but here are my favorite sprint IM sets:

8x125 IM rotate the 50 through each stroke (so on the first one do 50 fly-25bk-25br-25fr, 2nd one is 25 fly-50bk-25br-25fr, get it?)

12x75 continuous IM (#1 is fl-bk-br, #2 is fr-fl-bk, #3 is br-fr-fl, #4 is bk-br-fr and then you're back to #1)

Also, when swimming by myself, instead of a freestyle warmup, I like to do either a 400 or 800 reverse IM (start with free) kick-drill by 25.

Good luck!

Very Active Member

I dont do a cross over unless you are good at it.
    The clock does not lie

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aquaFeisty View Post
    You'll probably get tips from people a lot more knowledgeable than me, but here are my favorite sprint IM sets:

8x125 IM rotate the 50 through each stroke (so on the first one do 50 fly-25bk-25br-25fr, 2nd one is 25 fly-50bk-25br-25fr, get it?)

12x75 continuous IM (#1 is fl-bk-br, #2 is fr-fl-bk, #3 is br-fr-fl, #4 is bk-br-fr and then you're back to #1)

Also, when swimming by myself, instead of a freestyle warmup, I like to do either a 400 or 800 reverse IM (start with free) kick-drill by 25.

Good luck!
    Thanks Feisty...I take it you don't do these back to back...if so kudos I can't hack that!
    A Bones McCoy type quote: "Dammit Jim, I'm just an old breaststroker not a magician!"

The free warm up is my 0-1650 Frontcrawl iin 6 weeks, I'm not bailing on my virtual training partner ~Wren~ on that.

Rich

Back is faster than Fly poolraat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just remember that at the end of each stroke you need to touch as if you're finishing an individual race in that stroke. 2 hand touch for fly and breast and touch while remaining on the back for the backstroke. The back to breast transition is a hard one for me. Takes me so long that one could go to the restroom and be back in time to see me push off on the breast.

As far as training for a 100 I do a couple things. Will do 100's alternating IM and free, or just do sets of 25's in IM order (16 x 25 on :30). Also will do 50's - 25 fly/25back, 25 back/25 breast, 25 breast/25 free and so on.

And since back and breast are the weakest parts of my IM I as I approach a meet where I'm going to swim an IM I try to spend more time working those strokes than I normally do.

Hope this helps.
    I have entered the snapdragon stage of my life (Part of me has snapped and the rest of me is draggin ).

Very Active Member

you can be on your side in back stroke
    The clock does not lie

Very Active Member Caped Crusader's Avatar

Glad to see you diversifying a little here, buddy. Variety is the spice of life. Er, swimming.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    I dont do a cross over unless you are good at it.
    Warren what's that? sorry for dumbass Q's. This is the problem. I never swam age group, HS or college, and you're all foreigners to me. I have no clue what you guys are talking about half the time. PB, SPL, SDK, SCM, SCY, FSII, LCM, FCM, etc etc

Back is faster than Fly poolraat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

you can be on your side in back stroke
    As long as you don't go past vertical before the touch. Otherwise DQ.
    I have entered the snapdragon stage of my life (Part of me has snapped and the rest of me is draggin ).

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud View Post
    Warren what's that? sorry for dumbass Q's. This is the problem. I never swam age group, HS or college, and you're all foreigners to me. I have no clue what you guys are talking about half the time. PB, SPL, SDK, SCM, SCY, FSII, LCM, FCM, etc etc
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=WeL_HmMsbWI
    thats a cross over turns, its in IM going from back to breast. The rule says you have to touch the wall then flip but not go past verticle which I don't even know what means. I would not sugest it but if your good at it, it is alot faster than a touching and turning around.
    The clock does not lie

Very Active Member

poolraat offers good advice . . . just do them. There are lots of opportunities to throw a 100 IM in the middle of a workout. I often do a 200 IM in warmup, and will occasionally do a 100 or 200 IM in the middle of a long set or ladder/pyramid. I'm a beginning flyer (never learned it as a kid), and a crummy backstroker, but it's all getting better, which lets me do more in practice, which makes it all better, which . . . you get the idea.

Overtraining the distances (i.e. swim 50's of each stroke to get ready for the 100) helped me a lot with my confidence, and I have now successfully (read: not DQ'd) 2 100's in competition. As a bonus, they were a whole lot of fun to swim, probably because my weakest strokes were first, and once those were done I was home free.

One caveat: Don't do bad fly. When the stroke falls apart, switch to one arm or something else right away.

If an old dog like me can learn a new trick, anyone can. Give it a shot.
    At this point in the development of our society, there is virtually no writing which has not been plagiarized at least in part from another. I read that somewhere.

This was no boating accident.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    poolraat offers good advice . . . just do them. There are lots of opportunities to throw a 100 IM in the middle of a workout. I often do a 200 IM in warmup, and will occasionally do a 100 or 200 IM in the middle of a long set or ladder/pyramid. I'm a beginning flyer (never learned it as a kid), and a crummy backstroker, but it's all getting better, which lets me do more in practice, which makes it all better, which . . . you get the idea.

Overtraining the distances (i.e. swim 50's of each stroke to get ready for the 100) helped me a lot with my confidence, and I have now successfully (read: not DQ'd) 2 100's in competition. As a bonus, they were a whole lot of fun to swim, probably because my weakest strokes were first, and once those were done I was home free.

One caveat: Don't do bad fly. When the stroke falls apart, switch to one arm or something else right away.

If an old dog like me can learn a new trick, anyone can. Give it a shot.
    Fly is going to be the hardest part of this in technique.

Blog Entries

The rule says you have to touch the wall then flip but not go past verticle which I don't even know what means.
    Basically it means you have to be "on your back" (i.e., not past the vertical onto your breast) until your hand touches the wall. You can pretty much do what you want from that point until your feet leave the wall at which point you must again be on your back.

Very Active Member

Fly is going to be the hardest part of this in technique.
    It certainly was (and is) for me. I started with fins, but pretty quickly I discovered that I didn't like what it did to the rhythm. I like to use a pull buoy now and then, especially to warm up. It keeps my hips up nice and high, my head low, and the drive going forward.

Good luck.
    At this point in the development of our society, there is virtually no writing which has not been plagiarized at least in part from another. I read that somewhere.

This was no boating accident.

". . . at the end of each stroke you need to touch as if you're finishing an individual race in that stroke. 2 hand touch for fly and breast and touch while remaining on the back for the backstroke."

I recently saw a high school meet (first one in years, as I am returning to the sport) and observed, to my amazement, IMers going from backstroke to a rollover one stroke out from the wall; that is, they rotated onto their fronts and flipped as if in freestyle, then came off the wall with a breastroke pull. Nobody got DQ'ed. Did I dream this, or what? Has something changed?

I too am beginning to train for a 100 IM, mostly because it's fun. I have discovered that I have absolutely no rhythm for speed in breaststroke. Relatively fast fly and free, back not so great, but holy cow, I can't get under 45 in a 50 in breaststroke. I think I remember doing it about ten seconds faster when I was 12.

So my secondary question is: how on earth do you get speed in breastroke?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Red60 View Post
    Did I dream this, or what?
    Probably not. Rules are sometimes different for HS swimming.

". . . at the end of each stroke you need to touch as if you're finishing an individual race in that stroke. 2 hand touch for fly and breast and touch while remaining on the back for the backstroke."

I recently saw a high school meet (first one in years, as I am returning to the sport) and observed, to my amazement, IMers going from backstroke to a rollover one stroke out from the wall; that is, they rotated onto their fronts and flipped as if in freestyle, then came off the wall with a breastroke pull. Nobody got DQ'ed. Did I dream this, or what? Has something changed?

I too am beginning to train for a 100 IM, mostly because it's fun. I have discovered that I have absolutely no rhythm for speed in breaststroke. Relatively fast fly and free, back not so great, but holy cow, I can't get under 45 in a 50 in breaststroke. I think I remember doing it about ten seconds faster when I was 12.

High School rules allow this here in Illinois. I have seen boys forget and do this in club championships and get DQ's.

As far as being on your side in back, be very careful, it is easy to go past vertical. I too did not swim age group, hs, or college, and learned at 39. I do the simple touch on my back and turn and do breast. Slow, but works for this old gal. Since fly will be touch, really try to keep it long, and not push it hard so you have something left for the rest of it.

Blog Entries

Leg power and streamline. Get your arms out in front fast, tuck your head down and finish your kick. I try to get the arms out before the thrust of the kick.
    http://www.breaststroke.info/ is a better reference than I.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aquaFeisty View Post
    This is one of my favorite sets too. You can also go fly-fly-fly, fly-fly-back, fly-back-back, back-back-back, etc.

I do sets of 8-12 x 100 IMs too, alternating drill-swim or kick-drill-swim.

You can also do 8 x 50, two of each stroke. Or 8 x 50 alternating kick-stroke or drill-stroke.

You can also try 8 x 150. Odds reverse IM, 50 choice kick or easy. Evens regular 100 IM, 50 choice kick or easy. Don't forget reverse IMs.

Doing lots of 25s as Poolraat suggested is also good. Mix it up; lot of serial swimming.

Work on the turns and streamlines.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress View Post
    This is one of my favorite sets too. You can also go fly-fly-fly, fly-fly-back, fly-back-back, back-back-back, etc.

I do sets of 8-12 x 100 IMs too, alternating drill-swim or kick-drill-swim.

You can also do 8 x 50, two of each stroke. Or 8 x 50 alternating kick-stroke or drill-stroke.

You can also try 8 x 150. Odds reverse IM, 50 choice kick or easy. Evens regular 100 IM, 50 choice kick or easy. Don't forget reverse IMs.

Doing lots of 25s as Poolraat suggested is also good. Mix it up; lot of serial swimming.

Work on the turns and streamlines.
    What interval you think, 3:00? Until I get it going a bit?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast