Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Swimming Camp Inquiry

Very Active Member jim thornton's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Swimming Camp Inquiry

A quick question for the knowledgeable readers out there. This NYT magazine called Play recently contacted me about writing a piece for a section they call "Master Class" -- they want me to go someplace warm and get some swimming instruction of some sort.

I know that USMS used to have some kind of program where masters swimmers could apply to go out to Colorado Springs for intensive coaching, stroke analysis in the ICAR flume, etc. Is this still going on, do any of you know, and would it be possible to just do a "lite" version of this (a day or two; bypass the application process; not actually need to be an elite swimmer; etc.)

The other possibilities would be one of Terry's TI camps (though, God help me, front quadrant swimming really hurts my shoulders, and I feel this dog is just too old to learn that particular new trick).

Or--and this might be my favorite of all--didn't Gary Hall, Jr. start some sort of Sprint Club training camp down in Key West or the Bahamas or some similar place that would prove the perfect antidote to Pittsburgh this time of the year, especially if I don't have to pay for it?

Please let me know the details of any such possibiities--the editor did specify he'd prefer me to go someplace "warm and outdoors-y." Which makes two of us.

Blog Entries

Re: Swimming Camp Inquiry

You have a great job there, Jim. Real hardship duty.

I'm not a camp expert, although I seem to recall there was a recent thread on swim camps.

But I have heard from USS coaches that the camps at Stanford and Auburn are very good, but maybe just for USS swimmers?

Gary Hall's race club has lots of camps. They advertise as the "fantasy" camp where you "can have your cake and eat it too" with a double vaca and swim fest. Who could beat Islamorada and the Cheeca Lodge? www.theraceclub.net or (877) Swim-Race. Besides, if you're a sprint freestyler, that might be a good option for you. (Can you tell I just pulled out my Splash magazine?)

I have also heard that Josh Davis puts on some great camps, not sure if any are for masters swimmers. Terry may have the market cornered on masters camps. I think Josh Davis' camps are called "Ultimate Swimming" or something like that. Can't remember for sure.

Nike has a bunch of camps in many different locations with some of their stars. 1-800-NIKE-CAMP.

What about recent issue of USMS mag? That must list some camps. I'm so jealous. I really need a nice warm vacation ...

I'm sure the coaches on the forum can give you better tips. I'm still waiting to go to the Allen Stark breaststroke camp with FlyQueen.

Back is faster than Fly poolraat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My son and one of his friends went to a camp at Arizona State Univ. last year that was a good one.

I think I'll save my pennies up and do this one.

http://www.altitudeswimming.com/
    I have entered the snapdragon stage of my life (Part of me has snapped and the rest of me is draggin ).

Blog Entries

Thanks a million! I will see if I can get the Gray Lady to pay for you to come, too. Do you mind serving as my manservant? The only hard part is giving me a bath at night. It can be hard to tear me away from the TV or video games.

BTW, I took a little sabbatical from posting cause work got busy for a while, but I just sent in my column to Field & Stream, and there might be a bit of quiet before the storm.

This is a totally unrelated point, but I may have discovered last night something very close to bliss on earth: a 6,000 yard practice followed by an Ambien chaser. Some amnesia, yes; but until Morpheus tugged me underground, I must say it was awfully relaxing.

Blog Entries

http://www.altitudeswimming.com/

This looks fantastic! I am getting a sick feeling all of a sudden: if something looks too good to be true, it probably is.

But until the editor (who is on vacation for a week) quashes all hopes, the idea of going to Mexico with my manservant Leslie will sustain me!

Blog Entries

Forget it. Geek has no sense of humor. At least I actually offered real advice instead of personal insults. Are you going to stay on my case or go after some other offenders just for a nice change of pace?
    Last edited by The Fortress; February 22nd, 2007 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Geek hates edits

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress View Post
    I would love to go to Florida, and consider this an outright flagrant romantic gesture that would offend Geek.
    You've really played this out. Why don't you find someone or something else to obsess about, seriously.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aquageek View Post
    You've really played this out. Why don't you find someone or something else to obsess about, seriously.
    Why don't you actually post a swimming related comment, seriously.

You are a real jerk. Always picking on people, never giving constructive advice. Why don't you obsess about something other than mysterious invisible lurking and zings, seriously.

Blog Entries

I won't get into a name calling match wih you, it's obvious you would win. I took a week or so off to cool down and have made a conscientious effort to be more swimming focused since I returned. My comments on the powerbar thread were an attempt to be that way moreso.

I am simply tired of the incessant comments you make about me and gull, who doesn't even post here anymore. They are boring and played out. If that makes me a jerk, fine, you win. I am making a big effort to remain on the swim straight and narrow.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=aquageek;79977]
    gull, who doesn't even post here anymore. QUOTE]

I hope Gull will return to the forum when I declare him the winner of the Geek/Gull Swimoff. This I base on an age related handicap system I am working on to present a fair and balanced (ha ha) challenge to Muppet for Zones.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aquageek View Post
    I won't get into a name calling match wih you, it's obvious you would win. I took a week or so off to cool down and have made a conscientious effort to be more swimming focused since I returned. My comments on the powerbar thread were an attempt to be that way moreso.

I am simply tired of the incessant comments you make about me and gull, who doesn't even post here anymore. They are boring and played out. If that makes me a jerk, fine, you win. I am making a big effort to remain on the swim straight and narrow.
    No, I think you'd hold up quite well in the battle, although you seem to prefer humiliation and more covert nastiness to outright name calling.

I don't consider a comment or two about power bars to be terribly swimming related.

I will gladly refrain from any further comments about you or Gull on this "discussion" forum. I just felt bad about Gull. I thought I had possibly misinterpreted his last remarks. Your incessant zings are a bit played out as well. Or noodling remarks.

Have fun on the swimming straight and narrow. Even better, straight and nice. I look forward to reading, but not commenting on, an actual post relating to swimming, training or other real meaty swimming issue.

Blog Entries

Note: a gentle nudging back to the main topic here!

Please, what we are attempting to do in this thread is pretty simple, not settle grudges, not venting spleens, but simply making the life of me, Jim Thornton, as incredibly fun as possible.

I won't be selfish with my future swim camp ecstacies! I shall document these in great detail so you, too, can vicariously enjoy them.

But first things first, please! We must make MY life totally wonderful before I can write about MY wonderful life in such a way as to put a smile on the faces of readers everywhere!

Along these lines, I am asking for a refined swim camp search: ideally, my swim camp experienced now will not only involve tropical or subtropical paradise, with the expert coaching of Olympians whose only goal is to help me swim better than them, but also, I want the food to be good: lobster with drawn butter, for instance, as a revitalizing snack between sets, then a really good meal afterwards.

Blog Entries

Jim, I'd make a much better servent then Fort, I'm younger, remember.

I think Walnut Creek has a Masters Camp, too. If I were you I'd go for the Gary Hall Jr./Race Club Camp ... sounds AMAZING! One day, when I marry an orthopod, like Fort told me to, that is what I'll do ...
    "I don't race to see who is the fastest, I race to see who has the most guts."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FlyQueen View Post
    Jim, I'd make a much better servent then Fort, I'm younger, remember.
    Wow...Catfight time!

Blog Entries

Catfight with the super fabulous big sister? NEVER! I just want the tagalong trip ... Fort knows I adore her!
    "I don't race to see who is the fastest, I race to see who has the most guts."

Blog Entries

Girls, girls! (Women, women?)

There's room for you all!

The younger one to play video games with me, the older one to give me my bath and help me into my Speedo, and the two together--wielding unguents--to annoint my tired and flagging muscles, administer my various pharmaceutical agents, and bring me back to sort-of-life!

When it comes to manservants, a guy like me can never have too many! I can actually see the two of you swimming right next to me, like healthy dolphins helping their sick and weak elder keep his blowhole above the surface, even as Gary Hall, Jr.--channeling the spirit of grandpa Charles "Lincoln Savings and Loan Scandal" Keating--barks "faster, faster!" in the subtropical background.

Ah--there must be a flock of parrots, too, cackling beneathe a cerulean sky!

This is truly going to be great...

Very Active Member newmastersswimmer's Avatar

Darn.....its too late for me to enter medical school now...I should have gone into orthopedics....Note to self: You can't marry a head cheerleader by becoming a Math Geek!!....Uhumm...sorry I was just talking to myself o.k. Us geeks do that from time to time.....carry on now.

Newmastersswimmer
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

"I would love to help you out.....Which way did you come in?" Groucho Marx

"24 beers in a case and 24 hours in a day....Coincidence?" Steven Wright

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton View Post
    Girls, girls! (Women, women?)

There's room for you all!

The younger one to play video games with me, the older one to give me my bath and help me into my Speedo, and the two together--wielding unguents--to annoint my tired and flagging muscles, administer my various pharmaceutical agents, and bring me back to sort-of-life!

When it comes to manservants, a guy like me can never have too many! I can actually see the two of you swimming right next to me, like healthy dolphins helping their sick and weak elder keep his blowhole above the surface, even as Gary Hall, Jr.--channeling the spirit of grandpa Charles "Lincoln Savings and Loan Scandal" Keating--barks "faster, faster!" in the subtropical background.

Ah--there must be a flock of parrots, too, cackling beneathe a cerulean sky!

This is truly going to be great...
    ...and you'll need a "quintessential" English butler...I'm cheap...

Very Active Member newmastersswimmer's Avatar

...and you'll need a "quintessential" English butler...I'm cheap...

posted by that British feller

Watch out Jim. You know the saying....the butler is always the guilty one!....and we already know how "cheap" you are Rich...LOL!!

Newmastersswimmer
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

"I would love to help you out.....Which way did you come in?" Groucho Marx

"24 beers in a case and 24 hours in a day....Coincidence?" Steven Wright

Very Active Member Peter Cruise's Avatar

I can see it now. In a few weeks we'll read "USMS swimmer disappears at tropical swim camp. Last seen hoisted on the shoulders of bare-breasted indigenes and headed into the dense rainforest, Mr.Thornton was clutching an enormous bottle of rum to his bosom and loudly proclaiming 'I'm the King of the Pool!' ".

I'll weigh in with an elliptical short story that ties in Jim's disappearance to the Bork's galactic conspiracy.

Kyra will write a lilting poem lamenting that nothing interesting like that happens where she lives.

GoodSmith will go off on a rant berating Jim for choosing a foreign swim camp.

Mel will point out that a high altitude camp would have left Jim with no energy for shenanigans.

Frank will post a well-researched history of masters swimmers who disappeared with a smile on their face.

Leslie will launch a class action suit on their behalf.

Heather will be sad until she learned that Jim frequently swam breastroke.

Matt will question the non-swimming related content.

Rich will post a witty limerick laced with double entendre that will

Shut down the thread.

Then Jim's editor will receive an untraceable telegram requesting a two-year extension on his deadline.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast