Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IM Transition turn btween back and breast

IM Transition turn btween back and breast

This question has come up offline so I thought I'd post the question to find out the rule about this transitional turn between the IM's back and breast since I no longer do IMs.

Years ago, a flip turn between back and breast was allowed; it was not the new "freestyle" back turn, a swimmer could touch the wall in backstroke, and then flip over to enter the breastroke. Now I believe more swimmers are backstroking into the wall and open turning into the breaststroke portion of the IM.

For all of you Im'ers out there, what is now legal: both turns or does a swimmer have to do an "open turn"?

Donna

Blog Entries

Re: IM Transition turn btween back and breast

We'll find out on Mar 11th when I flip my backstroke, touchwith feet and push off itno a breast streamline and pullout.

Blog Entries

The rule is that you must finish each stroke in an IM as you would if the race was ending there. SO you have to finish on your back with one hand touching then you can flip, do the "old school" spin turn OR do an open turn.
    "I don't race to see who is the fastest, I race to see who has the most guts."

Back is faster than Fly poolraat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Either turn is legal as long as the finish to the backstroke portion is finished on the back. Here is the rule:

101.5 INDIVIDUAL MEDLEY — ....
    .3 Turns
    A Intermediate turns within each stroke shall conform to the turn rules for that stroke.
    B The turns when changing from one stroke to another shall conform to the finish rules for the stroke just completed, and shall be as follows:

(1) Butterfly to backstroke — The swimmer must touch as described in 101.2.5. Once a legal touch has been made, the swimmer may turn in any manner, but the shoulders must be at or past the vertical toward the back when the swimmer leaves the wall.

(2) Backstroke to breaststroke — The swimmer must touch the wall while on the back. Once a legal touch has been made, the swimmer may turn in any manner but the shoulders must be at or past the vertical toward the breast when the swimmer leaves the wall and the prescribed breaststroke form must be attained prior to the first arm stroke.

(3) Breaststroke to freestyle — The swimmer must touch as described in 101.1.4. Once a legal touch has been made, the swimmer may turn in any manner.

Quote Originally Posted by islandsox View Post
    This question has come up offline so I thought I'd post the question to find out the rule about this transitional turn between the IM's back and breast since I no longer do IMs.

Years ago, a flip turn between back and breast was allowed; it was not the new "freestyle" back turn, a swimmer could touch the wall in backstroke, and then flip over to enter the breastroke. Now I believe more swimmers are backstroking into the wall and open turning into the breaststroke portion of the IM.

For all of you Im'ers out there, what is now legal: both turns or does a swimmer have to do an "open turn"?

Donna
    Last edited by poolraat; February 25th, 2007 at 09:15 PM.
    I have entered the snapdragon stage of my life (Part of me has snapped and the rest of me is draggin ).

Blog Entries

So you can't do the freestyle back turn in an IM then?

Very Active Member Redbird Alum's Avatar

Swimstud -

You are correct. You must touch while still on your back.

Well, you can do the "freestyle" turn in backstroke if you are doing the 400 IM; you just can't do it in the transition from the last leg of the backstroke to the first leg of the breaststroke.

I swim all the IM's. Depending on the length I do either a flip or an open turn. I really need the air in the 400 IM, for the 100 and the 200 its less important. I wish I could master Phelps' back/breast turn. I have watched that video snip at least 1000 times (seriously) trying to figure it out and I have yet to duplicate it in the pool. First, he does it so fast its hard to see the mechanics, second, I can't seem to place my hand on the wall properly. On the last backstroke stroke, he crosses the hand over his head to the opposite side of his body, touches AND gets a big breath just like an open turn, but then he flips sideways and pushes off on his stomach nice and deep and ready for his breaststroke pullout. I can sorta see what he is doing but I can't actually do it myself in the pool! It's incredibly fast.

Ann, I had a coach try to teach me Phelp's turn....and I think I drank half the pool. The kids learn it fairly easily, as kid's do, but to learn it as an adult is hard.

Blog Entries

I have found the easiest way to learn it is to turn using the same hand evertime until you get used to it.....then try switching hands. I use the same hand everytime in a race though....get to know your stroke count and try using the same hand everytime. Practice, practice, practice!!!!
    "Your body will go places your mind never thought it would go, as long as you are mentally tough enough to push it, drag it or carry it there." Tracy A. Burkholder

"If it is to be......it is up to me!" Author unknown.... got it off the wall at Westminster School in Atlanta.

Breaststroke - For the swimmer who finds the other strokes too easy!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AnnG View Post
    I wish I could master Phelps' back/breast turn. I have watched that video snip at least 1000 times (seriously) trying to figure it out and I have yet to duplicate it in the pool. First, he does it so fast its hard to see the mechanics, second, I can't seem to place my hand on the wall properly. On the last backstroke stroke, he crosses the hand over his head to the opposite side of his body, touches AND gets a big breath just like an open turn, but then he flips sideways and pushes off on his stomach nice and deep and ready for his breaststroke pullout. I can sorta see what he is doing but I can't actually do it myself in the pool! It's incredibly fast.

MEE TOO! I've watched it so many times! I've tried to duplicate it and can't get it right. It is amazing and very fast!
    My goal is to die young as late as possible!

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

Very Active Member blainesapprentice's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Where is this Phelps video link?
    Nothing to it but to do it

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blainesapprentice View Post
    Where is this Phelps video link?
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=WeL_HmMsbWI

Morgan when you have perfected it...hold a clinic

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AnnG View Post
    On the last backstroke stroke, he crosses the hand over his head to the opposite side of his body, touches AND gets a big breath just like an open turn, but then he flips sideways and pushes off on his stomach nice and deep and ready for his breaststroke pullout.
    I don't think he's crossing his arm over. If you watch closely (I guess you'll need to watch a 1,001st or 1,002nd time ) his arm touches without crossing over then he immediately drops the opposite shoulder and flips.

I agree with knelson. He just does it so quick, it looks like he crosses over. He just drops the shoulder on the side he turns towards.

There are several videos of the back-breast turn that might make it easier to make out what is going on than the Phelps video. The underwater ones in particular:

http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=swimee

Is there any way to view videos from youtube frame by frame or in slow motion?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LindsayNB View Post
    There are several videos of the back-breast turn that might make it easier to make out what is going on than the Phelps video. The underwater ones in particular:

http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=swimee

Is there any way to view videos from youtube frame by frame or in slow motion?
    Lindsay great link!
    I'll be trying that tonight.

Very Active Member TRYM_Swimmer's Avatar

From what I can make out, it seems they are beginning to roll to the opposite side of the arm that's touching the wall and then doing a sideways turn with a half twist. That could be dangerous; if you roll too far over, you will get DQ'd.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TRYM_Swimmer View Post
    From what I can make out, it seems they are beginning to roll to the opposite side of the arm that's touching the wall and then doing a sideways turn with a half twist. That could be dangerous; if you roll too far over, you will get DQ'd.
    You just can't go past vertical prior to touch right?

Quote Originally Posted by TRYM_Swimmer View Post
    Yes....I thought the same thing. you would definitely have to practice the timing on this turn a lot before doing it in a meet!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast