Page 1 of 45 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Attaboy or attagirl: SR NH everyone welcome

Very Active Member Peter Cruise's Avatar

Attaboy or attagirl: SR NH everyone welcome

I thought I'd try an experiment here. I propose that anyone of any swimming level can use this thread (or not) when, whether in a small way or earthshaking manner you've done something in the pool that you're proud and/or pleased by. Anyone is welcome to add encouraging comments (or not) or ask for more info., but please no grandstanding or feuding.

Okay- I'll go first (and I'm just as hesitant as anyone else). Context: last few months hellish: collapse of my dream business, death in family, huge money troubles etc. result months out of water & exercise & 30lb gain. Further, I just went back over the last 10 yrs, averaged 1 meet a year, no more than 4 months training in any one year. So- been back in water 4 weeks, 2-3 times a week and mostly feeling like chopped liver. Monday night coach say we're going to do dive 25's (meters) from blocks, starter's instructions. Now I haven't done this in years 'cause I have a very bad neck- but I've been frustrated so...did all 3 breastroke 16.3, 15.5, 16.2 which tells me I've still got prospects to go fast again! I am pleased.
    Life keeps throwing curve balls; the trick, I'm learning, is to duck...

Re: Attaboy or attagirl: SR NH everyone welcome

Peter that's awesome!!!! Congrats!!

This morning I finally realized that I might actually be getting faster. We had a set of 4 x 100 on 1:50 and I managed to hold all 4 under 1:30. I haven't been able to do that since I started swimming again 2 years ago. The end of last year was really hard personally and I missed a lot of pool time, and the 6 months before that I was unable to swim for various reasons. Now I'm training for Nationals and stoked to see that my times might actually drop by then.

I really like the idea of this thread too. Often times when I accomplish something in the pool, my friends don't understand how important it is or what a big deal it is too me. I've often wanted to say something on this site, but like you haven't had the courage. And it's kinda nice to have a pat on the back and share your happiness with people who get it.

Good going, Kyra!

Blog Entries

Peter:

How cool is that? Great job. Overcoming adversity and being resilient are two of the best traits a person and swimmer can have. I really admire that. I also admire those 25 times! Smoking. I'd say you're back, Rock Star. Do you have a meet in the future?

Kyra:

I agree. People sometimes just look at you cross eyed when you want to talk about the finer points of swimming. I also think it's encouraging that we can all miss time in the pool and still come back, sometimes stronger than ever. As adults, masters swimmers often face great challenges in balancing life and swimming. It's nice to know we sometimes win! You're going to do great at Nationals!

Very Active Member

Peter,

I have nothing particular to be proud of at the moment. BUT, I'm hoping that you will show up at Federal Way in May. It's a lot closer for you than me & I'm going. Since I missed you at Can Nats last year, I'm hoping to meet up with you in WA this year.

Meanwhile, my training is going well, even though it's the middle of cross-country ski racing season. I'm in West Yellowstone at the moment with my wife to humiliate myself in skiing in order to put the swimming into proper perspective.

Cheers!

-- mel
    Mel Dyck
    • Certified Level 2 ASCA Coach
    • No longer a member of ASCA due to their meddling in the suit situation

Life is a joke and, if you are not laughing, you probably don't get it

Thank you Peter -- I think I am going to love this thread .

I will start by saying that I am not swimming with any master's team and do everything on my own. Secondly -- I am verrrrry slowww

That's out of the way!

Beginning in 2007 I have been very consistent with 3 swims a week -- thanks mainly to the Go The Distance Challenge on this site that I am doing -- and have seen some improvements over the past two months.
    I have taken off one whole minute from my 400 meter swim (note, I am not citing the time it takes me) .

I have a no-kick and again, I repeat, I am a slow swimmer (working on getting a bit faster) and this guy in the lane next to me looked so fast and had what appears to be a strong and powerful kick. Welllll - on my long glide and strong catch and little flutter kick -- guess what! I passed him each time he started his length just before my turn.

The first time I thought is was surely a fluke! But when it happened several more times, I simply congrtaulated myself.

Sorry this is long, but I am so happy with myself, and this is the first place I have told about it. Thanks for the opportunity.
    Nancy

Nancy- that's exactly what I want to see. You're making progress, that's terrific!

Les- No meets for awhile, lose lard, get job etc.

Mel- Probably not: financially difficult, 2 kids still in college & still looking for new work. Plus- still 54 by yards rules. I admit with time & money available I'd come & be sociable but, reality intrudes.

Blog Entries

First off, cool thread!

Here's mine. Got struck down with pneumonia in the early part of February, put me out of any kind of exercise for about two and a half weeks. Got to the gym last Friday to try and lift weights. Was weak, but actually not too bad. Felt confident enough to swim earlier Mon. of this week. Took is slow and easy, but got 2000yds in. It's interesting, my anerobic strength seems to be returning faster than my aerobic strength (guess that makes sense with a lung infection). So, that's my attaboy, and here's the

Very Active Member newmastersswimmer's Avatar

Congrats to Nancy, funkyfish, and Peter!! I also think this was an excellent idea for a thread Peter! I am very sorry to hear about your recent misfortunes....but (as cliche as this is going to sound...forgive me!) life can be a bit like a roller coaster ride....I am sure you will ride this out and things will turn around for you Peter! You have way too much good Karma for it not to turn around! I don't have anything to personally add right now b/c I haven't been in the water for a while and I'm waaay overweight right now....but I will use your stories as an inspiration to get myself back on track....hopefully I will have something postive to post about myself before too long.

Newmastersswimmer
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

"I would love to help you out.....Which way did you come in?" Groucho Marx

"24 beers in a case and 24 hours in a day....Coincidence?" Steven Wright

Blog Entries

Congrats to you all. I could tell my non-swimming friends and most of my family that I swam a 100 in 2 minutes or 40 seconds and they'd have the same reaction. I'll wait until I surpass my goals for state/my taper meet to post my accomplishments.
    "I don't race to see who is the fastest, I race to see who has the most guts."

Blog Entries

Monday night I made a set of 3 x 100 on 1:05 (SCY). This was at the end of a 2,500 yard set that also included 5x100 on 1:15 and 4x100 on 1:10. I was feeling pretty wrecked before practice from skiing some really deep powder the day before, so I was really happy with that workout. Definitely makes me feel like I'm on track for Nationals!

Great swimming, Kirk. What are you swimming at Nats?

Great thread. And kudos to you all. I love to see improvements, no matter how big or small.

I am lucky in that my whole family is involved in swimming so I can tell them my accomplishments and they understand.

My recent one was a few weeks ago. Let me start by saying I am NOT a sprinter. You tell me to go fast and my body goes slower for some reason. I love distance. So, with that said, I don't sprint often but in practice we (this is a kids team I practice with) did 3x100 off the blocks for time. My fastest 100 free to that date was over 3 years ago and it was a 1:05 in a meet. This particular Sat I did 2 100's at 1:04 (the last was a 1:06). So my fastest time for 100 free ws during a practice! No special suit, no special goggles, nothing extra. I also got out of that practice and did the masters practice right after getting in 3 miles for the Go the Distance.

Alison

My attaboy involves attempting to overcome the aging factor. Turned 40 in February but since doing so I have maintained my goal of averaging a mile per calendar day in the Go the Distance program, set 2 SCM state records and swam the best 50 and 100 that I have in a couple of years at last weekends meet (and I had hurt my back that week requiring 3 visits to the chiro to straighten it out). If the 40's continue like this I guess I'll be happy with the swimming accomplishments but in pain all the while. Hopefully its just the pain thing that goes away!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Cruise View Post
    Great swimming, Kirk. What are you swimming at Nats?
    Haven't decided 100%, but most likely the 200, 500, 1650 free, 200 fly and 400 IM. Not sure about a sixth event. Most likely the 200 IM or the 100 free...or just do five events. The five I listed seem like plenty

here is my attaboy story, it actually happened today haha. when i went to swim, one of the lifeguards (who is a UNCW swimmer) dared me to do a 100 free for time off the blocks, i dunno why he wanted me to but i chose to do it anways. i did my warm up and stretched. he started me and i went a 52.8. my splits were 24.5 and 28.3, bad splitting i know but i'm really stoked about it because my best time ever is a 52.7 and that was with a shave and taper, and i was also swimming on an age group team 9 practices a week and now i swim by myself 6 practices. also, at my last meet, about 3 weeks ago in the 100 free i only went a 53.51. .7 sec. faster today and that's with only a little bit of sprint training added to my workouts since then. today i was not rested and still very sore from yesterday's hard workout in the weightroom. the lifeguard said my starts and turns pretty much were horrible but the swimming wasn't bad. i guess now i'll start working on starts, turns, and doing more sprints because i really wanna go a 49.99 at my meet in a month. i'm also going to reduce my yardage from 6000 to around 4500 so i can do a lot more sprinting. i forgot how bad the pain is in a 100 so im gonna start doing some sets that recreate that pain and maybe i can get used to sprinting when i'm tired and my splits won't be so off. just wanted to share
    alt f4 is sweet

Participating Member

This is a great idea!

OK.... I had breast cancer last year and had a mastectomy in May... I swam at Worlds! I had surgery again in late September and now I'm training for Nationals.... I'm proud of myself. It's slow going, getting back to where I was but I managed to swim 50,000 yds last month.

Swimstud, oh I mean Tarzan.... or is it Rich prompted me to post this!

Judy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by judystrauss View Post
    This is a great idea!

OK.... I had breast cancer last year and had a mastectomy in May... I swam at Worlds! I had surgery again in late September and now I'm training for Nationals.... I'm proud of myself. It's slow going, getting back to where I was but I managed to swim 50,000 yds last month.

Judy
    A big "ADDAGOIRL" for you Judy
    For your courage and also for thoughtfulness in posting and trying to pull others with issues together to support each other.
    "Rich" is good for when I'm being sensible (not otfen).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by funkyfish View Post
    First off, cool thread!

Here's mine. Got struck down with pneumonia in the early part of February, put me out of any kind of exercise for about two and a half weeks. Got to the gym last Friday to try and lift weights. Was weak, but actually not too bad. Felt confident enough to swim earlier Mon. of this week. Took is slow and easy, but got 2000yds in. It's interesting, my anerobic strength seems to be returning faster than my aerobic strength (guess that makes sense with a lung infection). So, that's my attaboy, and here's the
    Ok, quick update. Got back from swimming during lunch, and did 2500yds in the same time I did the 2000yds earlier Mon. Seems silly, but I'm really excited about the improvement. So, I guess this is the last time I'll play the "sick card." Again, great thread, like to see the triumphs, both great and small.

Thumbs up Re: Attaboy or attagirl: SR NH everyone welcome

Thank you all for the positive messages re this thread both here and via PM's.
    This is what I visualized, whether someone making a record, completing their first race, recovering from whatever, getting over a fear...I'm hoping that we can keep this going over time and it can be a testament to the 'can do' attitude that makes life (and swimming) go so much smoother. Again, no judgements needed here other than 'Well done'.

Page 1 of 45 1234511 ... LastLast