Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Attaboy or attagirl: SR NH everyone welcome

Blog Entries

Re: Attaboy or attagirl: SR NH everyone welcome

Quote Originally Posted by judystrauss View Post
    This is a great idea!

OK.... I had breast cancer last year and had a mastectomy in May... I swam at Worlds! I had surgery again in late September and now I'm training for Nationals.... I'm proud of myself. It's slow going, getting back to where I was but I managed to swim 50,000 yds last month.

Swimstud, oh I mean Tarzan.... or is it Rich prompted me to post this!

Judy

How cool is this! You go girl! 50,000 yards is a ton. You've got me cold this last month.

Myself, I would like to report that I swam for the first time in 8 whole days last night. Only for an hour or so. I did 900 meters of breaststroke and breaststroke kick among other things. 10 x 50 meters breast on the 1:00 with the monofin on the advice of my friend Muppet. Since this is a "no judgment" thread, I do not want to get any claptrap about doing breaststroke. Even from evil Paul Smith.

Very Active Member newmastersswimmer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress View Post
    How cool is this! You go girl! 50,000 yards is a ton. You've got me cold this last month.

Myself, I would like to report that I swam for the first time in 8 whole days last night. Only for an hour or so. I did 900 meters of breaststroke and breaststroke kick among other things. 10 x 50 meters breast on the 1:00 with the monofin on the advice of my friend Muppet.
    posted by Fort

Ditto from too on what Fort said. Thanks for sharing that with us Judy....It is soooo inspiring to hear things like that!! I am so happy for you! I'll try not to hold the fact that you are friends with that British dude (AKA Little Richard) against you as well.....LOL!!

Newmastersswimmer
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

"I would love to help you out.....Which way did you come in?" Groucho Marx

"24 beers in a case and 24 hours in a day....Coincidence?" Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress View Post
    Since this is a "no judgment" thread, I do not want to get any claptrap about doing breaststroke. Even from evil Paul Smith.
    You have NO idea how much self control this is taking to not.....Ok, I'm just going to stop!

Great thread Peter........and hang in there!

As for me.....the knee is getting better and I've been able to swim more consistently....plus I've dropped 13lbs.....long way to go still but thats what life is all about....
    I crack myself up. It is jealousy. It is Boredom. I Did not accomplish enough when I was young, and I hate anybody faster/younger than me.

Blog Entries

For those who have ever struggled with weight there are milestones we set for ourselves that sometimes are harder to hit than beating a specific time or placing in a race.

In 1982 was the last year that I swam competitively and upon finishing that season I was 175 lbs. Since then my weight had gone over 220 at one point. Three years ago when I started back to swimming I was about 205 lbs. in plus size suits, bad back. Could not even touch the block on a start for over a year due to back pain. The pain is more of a stiffening now but still lets me remember my limitations.

TODAY I CELEBRATED! 175 lbs for the first time in 25 years! Have just finished month 2 of the Go the Distance Challenge with 126 miles total since January and really looking forward to shattering my 1650 time from last years nationals at this years event.

Going for 170 lbs. at the end of March.

Donna

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    For those who have ever struggled with weight there are milestones we set for ourselves that sometimes are harder to hit than beating a specific time or placing in a race.

In 1982 was the last year that I swam competitively and upon finishing that season I was 175 lbs. Since then my weight had gone over 220 at one point. Three years ago when I started back to swimming I was about 205 lbs. in plus size suits, bad back. Could not even touch the block on a start for over a year due to back pain. The pain is more of a stiffening now but still lets me remember my limitations.

TODAY I CELEBRATED! 175 lbs for the first time in 25 years! Have just finished month 2 of the Go the Distance Challenge with 126 miles total since January and really looking forward to shattering my 1650 time from last years nationals at this years event.

Going for 170 lbs. at the end of March.

Donna
    Attagirl Donna you get a and a

Way to go Donna!! You are a true inspiration.
    Nancy

Ditto from me too Donna!! Congrats on the weight loss and overall fitness level you have been able to achieve! I can relate to your story b/c I too struggle with weight issues....I'll take your story as inspiration for me to follow suit!

Newmastersswimmer
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by newmastersswimmer View Post
    Ditto from me too Donna!! Congrats on the weight loss and overall fitness level you have been able to achieve! I can relate to your story b/c I too struggle with weight issues....I'll take your story as inspiration for me to follow suit!

Newmastersswimmer
    Jim I don't care how much weight you lose though...I'm not giving you one of these...

Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud View Post
    Jim I don't care how much weight you lose though...I'm not giving you one of these...
    Well Rich....I will just have to find some way to keep on living with this new revelation of yours....LOL!!

Congrats Jsbwbnc on that 100 free time! Thats awesome to get so close to a PB at practice (and the day after a day of hard weight lifting at that)...sounds like if you had a better start and turns you would have been in the low 51 range on that too. I think you will surpass your goal...Good luck!

Newmastersswimmer

this thread is soo cool!! everyone GREAT job...

I only have a small (ok not small to me) thing to add. I am a breastroker by trade but for the 1st time ever...in practice (on my own) but a lifegaurd as a witness....I did a 200 FLY!! without stopping and throwing up a kidney!!
    fast women have good times

After a hurt shoulder and a "flu-like illness" that kept me out of the water,this was the first week that I was actually able to swim(instead of just kick,or lie in bed and moan.)Just 2000 yd. yesterday,but it included real freestyle and real breaststroke.
    Peter,I am glad you are back swimming,if only you hadn't aged up to 55-59 I'd be totally overjoyed for you,but since I have seen how fast you can go when you are in shape I think you should work into it slowly.You don't want to do too much too soon and hurt your self. Two years seems about right doesn't it
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Very Active Member Peter Cruise's Avatar

Allen- I'm hoping you have about 6 months grace for the 50 & 100, but you can have the 200. Hope you get over your stuff, want to race you both of us healthy.
    Life keeps throwing curve balls; the trick, I'm learning, is to duck...

OK -- another attagirl for me!! For about a year now I have swum at the same time once or twice a week as another (younger) woman who mainly swims in the lane next to me. In the past I would fight reallllly hard to TRY to keep up with her for some of the laps. After a few lengths she would always pull ahead and of course end up way ahead within a short amount of time.

Today! I not only caught up with her after she had pushed off from the wall, I kept up with her for several laps and started to inch ahead when she stopped swimming. I'm sure it was because she was nearing the end of her workout and NOT because I was about to pass her

My reading about and practicing some drills, my consistent 3 swims a week, and the one freestyle clinic I attended last month are paying off!

Nancy

Very Active Member Peter Cruise's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Attaboy or attagirl: SR NH everyone welcome

Very satisfying, I'll bet Nancy. Great to see your effort pay off.
    Life keeps throwing curve balls; the trick, I'm learning, is to duck...

Blog Entries

Great job Nancy!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nancytris View Post
    OK -- another attagirl for me!! For about a year now I have swum at the same time once or twice a week as another (younger) woman who mainly swims in the lane next to me. In the past I would fight reallllly hard to TRY to keep up with her for some of the laps. After a few lengths she would always pull ahead and of course end up way ahead within a short amount of time.

Today! I not only caught up with her after she had pushed off from the wall, I kept up with her for several laps and started to inch ahead when she stopped swimming. I'm sure it was because she was nearing the end of her workout and NOT because I was about to pass her

My reading about and practicing some drills, my consistent 3 swims a week, and the one freestyle clinic I attended last month are paying off!

Nancy, I hope you shouted "In your face whippersnapper!" at her as she exited

Atta-girl hehe

Blog Entries

I have been swimming three days a week (sometimes a Saturday or Sunday also if time and pool allow) since October. On January 24th we all swam a T-20 (so we could fit in two groups during our hour time). I swam 40 laps and because I had never done this before, had nothing to compare it to. I had the most laps of the team (all a new team). Anyway, we swam another one on February 23rd and I swam 51 laps . It felt really good to improve that much in a month. I have also lost 10 pounds in that amount of time. I think the weight loss may have had something to do with the increase in laps as well as anything else. Anyway, it feels really good to see such an improvement.
    If you want a place in the sun, you have to put up with a few blisters. Abigail Van Buren

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swim4me View Post
    I have been swimming three days a week (sometimes a Saturday or Sunday also if time and pool allow) since October. On January 24th we all swam a T-20 (so we could fit in two groups during our hour time). I swam 40 laps and because I had never done this before, had nothing to compare it to. I had the most laps of the team (all a new team). Anyway, we swam another one on February 23rd and I swam 51 laps . It felt really good to improve that much in a month. I have also lost 10 pounds in that amount of time. I think the weight loss may have had something to do with the increase in laps as well as anything else. Anyway, it feels really good to see such an improvement.
    Awesome...atta-girl
    Kudos on the weight too I bet that feels good huh?

Pssst *we need a smilie for a wolf-whistle here...*

I think I'm swimming a little faster or the pool's getting a little shorter.

You know how you can get into a groove and kind of 'feel' the wall coming up? Several times lately, I've reached the wall before I'm expecting to. It's a odd feeling: stroke, stroke, stroke and %$@^$!, the wall! I've nearly smacked into it a few times. It may sound silly, but it's a thrilling feeling, when the wall sneaks up on me.
    "...it is but well to be on friendly terms with all the inmates of the place one lodges in."
    Melville, Moby Dick

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ensignada View Post
    I think I'm swimming a little faster or the pool's getting a little shorter.

You know how you can get into a groove and kind of 'feel' the wall coming up? Several times lately, I've reached the wall before I'm expecting to. It's a odd feeling: stroke, stroke, stroke and %$@^$!, the wall! I've nearly smacked into it a few times. It may sound silly, but it's a thrilling feeling, when the wall sneaks up on me.
    as long as it's not from behind I am OK.

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast