Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Attaboy or attagirl: SR NH everyone welcome

Re: Attaboy or attagirl: SR NH everyone welcome

Quote Originally Posted by swim4me View Post
    I have been swimming three days a week (sometimes a Saturday or Sunday also if time and pool allow) since October. On January 24th we all swam a T-20 (so we could fit in two groups during our hour time). I swam 40 laps and because I had never done this before, had nothing to compare it to. I had the most laps of the team (all a new team). Anyway, we swam another one on February 23rd and I swam 51 laps . It felt really good to improve that much in a month. I have also lost 10 pounds in that amount of time. I think the weight loss may have had something to do with the increase in laps as well as anything else. Anyway, it feels really good to see such an improvement.
    Very impressive Kathy. I am now on the quest to lose some of my pounds!! Ah yes, that fabulous feeling when you see an improvement.

Attagirl Kathy.
    Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud View Post
    Nancy, I hope you shouted "In your face whippersnapper!" at her as she exited

Atta-girl hehe
    Not exactly Rich!!I did surreptitiously stand at one point and count her SPL.... all 39 of them to my 19-20! Little did I realize "back in the day" that I would be putting in what must be a little less effort to swim near the same time as this person. She has obviously not been doing the research and follow through that I have been doing, so seems to be using a lot of energy.

Thanks all of you for your acknowledgement. We all know that having these triumphs is satisfying to just do them, but sharing makes it even more motivational and exciting. So thanks again to all of you. We are ALL awesome!!
    Nancy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nancytris View Post
    Very impressive Kathy. I am now on the quest to lose some of my pounds!! Ah yes, that fabulous feeling when you see an improvement.

Attagirl Kathy.
    Thanks Stud and Nancy!!! It feels really good to see improvement in swimming and to see the scale go down. I am very tall, so I don't look as heavy as I am, but I still have 20 pounds to go.

Nancy,

the coach really got me started loosing. I have tried many times and have failed. I feel like I am accountable to him, so that helps. Also, really whatching what I eat..... I have almost completely cut out bread and have not had any chips at the Mexican restaurants (the one I go to has a good Mexican Cobb salad) since I began this diet. I eat a lot of salads and fruit. I allow myself one 'fun size' chocolate from the office candy dish once a day (instead of 4 pieces every time I pass by) and I really enjoy that one piece. I have stopped drinking for now. I figure it is extra calories that I would rather eat, and I do drinking lots and lots of water. I am not starving, just trying to be sensible and it is working. It is basically changing my eating habits so I don't eat as much as I can and I really enjoy my food. If my family goes to eat out at a place where I know I won't have good choices, I don't go with them. (does not happen often). It helps to have a support group. My coach and my co-workers are good support. Co-workers check out my lunch and snacks every day (ok with me) and are very supportive. My husband and daughter have also been very complimentary. Good luck with your quest!!!!!!
    If you want a place in the sun, you have to put up with a few blisters. Abigail Van Buren

Very Active Member

This isn't quite as recent, but I've been swimming with a friend since the beginning of January. He's faster than me, so I'm usually barely keeping up with the intervals. During the first week of January, we did 4x100 on 1:40. I made the first one, missed the interval on the second one, did a 50 on the third, and swam the fourth. In mid-February, I completed a set of 6x100 free on 1:40, making the interval on all but the last one. I got less than 5 sec rest on most of them, but I made it!

Blog Entries

Thanks Stud and Nancy!!! It feels really good to see improvement in swimming and to see the scale go down. I am very tall, so I don't look as heavy as I am, but I still have 20 pounds to go.
    The good thing is once you suffer through this losing phase you'll be on maintenace and be able to eat a lot more enjoyable foods and not gain it back...provided you're swimming hard.

Blog Entries

The good thing is once you suffer through this losing phase you'll be on maintenace and be able to eat a lot more enjoyable foods and not gain it back...provided you're swimming hard.
    That is the plan and I can't wait for the maintenance Phase!!!!!
    If you want a place in the sun, you have to put up with a few blisters. Abigail Van Buren

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by globuggie View Post
    This isn't quite as recent, but I've been swimming with a friend since the beginning of January. He's faster than me, so I'm usually barely keeping up with the intervals. During the first week of January, we did 4x100 on 1:40. I made the first one, missed the interval on the second one, did a 50 on the third, and swam the fourth. In mid-February, I completed a set of 6x100 free on 1:40, making the interval on all but the last one. I got less than 5 sec rest on most of them, but I made it!

It feels good, doesn't it!!!! Attaboy!!!!!!

Nancy,

the coach really got me started loosing. I have tried many times and have failed. I feel like I am accountable to him, so that helps. Also, really whatching what I eat..... I have almost completely cut out bread and have not had any chips at the Mexican restaurants (the one I go to has a good Mexican Cobb salad) since I began this diet. I eat a lot of salads and fruit. I allow myself one 'fun size' chocolate from the office candy dish once a day (instead of 4 pieces every time I pass by) and I really enjoy that one piece. I have stopped drinking for now. I figure it is extra calories that I would rather eat, and I do drinking lots and lots of water. I am not starving, just trying to be sensible and it is working. It is basically changing my eating habits so I don't eat as much as I can and I really enjoy my food. If my family goes to eat out at a place where I know I won't have good choices, I don't go with them. (does not happen often). It helps to have a support group. My coach and my co-workers are good support. Co-workers check out my lunch and snacks every day (ok with me) and are very supportive. My husband and daughter have also been very complimentary. Good luck with your quest!!!!!!
    Thanks for these tips Kathy -- this may be another thread in the making!! Staying away from the candy dish(es) at work is a very big first step for me!! Next is probably drinking much more water. You are helping me climb aboard your pound losing boat!
    Nancy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nancytris View Post
    Thanks for these tips Kathy -- this may be another thread in the making!! Staying away from the candy dish(es) at work is a very big first step for me!! Next is probably drinking much more water. You are helping me climb aboard your pound losing boat!

Just remember ladies...having fun is the important thing. Eat sensibly, swim hard and smile lots...the weight will take care of itself.

Most important...remember you're beautiful just the way you are.

Just remember ladies...having fun is the important thing. Eat sensibly, swim hard and smile lots...the weight will take care of itself.

AWWW Rich, how sweet you are .
    Nancy

Blog Entries

The 'Stud' strikes again

Very Active Member Peter Cruise's Avatar

Sheesh! Rich...
    Life keeps throwing curve balls; the trick, I'm learning, is to duck...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Cruise View Post
    Sheesh! Rich...
    What? is "charming" now banned too?

Ach me lad, me bein' but a simple country lad, in awe I was at the charm ye be handin' out to the ladies.

Very Active Member newmastersswimmer's Avatar

Somebody slap that British dude! (just kidding....of course all of the ladies here are beautiful people....I've enjoyed reading all of y'all's postings!!). I also find these postings about weight loss a major inspiration for me too since I have weight issues....So I can identify with these issues too (and get in touch with my feminine side) even though I'm not British o.k.!! I can even sit through a romantic comedy starring Julia Roberts on occaission....well only if the boss...uhumm I mean my wife makes me that is!...LOL!!

Newmastersswimmer
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

"I would love to help you out.....Which way did you come in?" Groucho Marx

"24 beers in a case and 24 hours in a day....Coincidence?" Steven Wright

Very Active Member newmastersswimmer's Avatar

What? is "charming" now banned too?
    Only when you steal a bunch of and from the female posters and make us American guys jealous!!

On a serious note though...I have really enjoyed reading the postings on this thread...I nominate it for one of the highly coveted USMS Threadie awards for the most feel good thread of the year.....I guess every once in a while the Ranger from The North has a decent idea or two...(j/k of course Peter!...or am I?)

Newmastersswimmer
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

"I would love to help you out.....Which way did you come in?" Groucho Marx

"24 beers in a case and 24 hours in a day....Coincidence?" Steven Wright

gee, i read all of these and i kinda feel horribly outclassed here.... but...

i've been back in the water since dec 06 (after 30+ year hiatus). friday night i swam (swum, swimmed) two miles continuo...contim... continuu... without stopping. it all felt very good, very smooth... and felt i could go further when i did stop.....

no startling speed, no races, no great competition... just one with the water....

be,

jim

Quote Originally Posted by jiminos View Post
    gee, i read all of these and i kinda feel horribly outclassed here.... but...

i've been back in the water since dec 06 (after 30+ year hiatus). friday night i swam (swum, swimmed) two miles continuo...contim... continuu... without stopping. it all felt very good, very smooth... and felt i could go further when i did stop.....

no startling speed, no races, no great competition... just one with the water....

be,

jim
    That's a lot of conitou..conteni.. non stop swimming for not having been in the pool for all these years! You MUST have been doing something else to maintain all that strength, endurance and aerobic capacity

Good job, and welcome back to the pool....
    Nancy

Jim- good job. There is nobody outclassing anyone on this thread; encouragement, affirmation and the occasional gentle kidding await any positive developments posted.

Jim- BTW we had our honeymoon at Ocean Shores- love the place!

Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast