Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Attaboy or attagirl: SR NH everyone welcome

Re: Attaboy or attagirl: SR NH everyone welcome

Peter, thank you for the kind words. (come on down when you get a chance. we'll have coffee.)

Nancy, i haven't really done a lot. I run a bit. mostly, i attribute the distance in the pool to a very low energy form... at no time during the swim am i out of breath (if that happens, i stop and think about what i was doing or not doing with the goal of correcting the form deficiency). at the end of a swim like that, i still feel fresh. it takes me about 36 minutes (plus or minus 4 min) to go one mile. for me, it truly is all about being one with the water. (you also seem to be not too far away, nancy... the invite for a cup of coffee stands for you, too.)

be,

jim

Blog Entries

PR in the 100 free today by .5 by going out all out from the start or at least my version of all out on a 100. Splits were 2.5 apart. Happy about this and ready to see how much I drop at taper!!!

Congrats to everyone that has been improving!
    "I don't race to see who is the fastest, I race to see who has the most guts."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FlyQueen View Post
    PR in the 100 free today by .5 by going out all out from the start or at least my version of all out on a 100. Splits were 2.5 apart. Happy about this and ready to see how much I drop at taper!!!

Congrats to everyone that has been improving!
    Atta girl Heather...

Very Active Member Peter Cruise's Avatar

Great, Heather- just think how many pb's awaiting you when you finally embrace breastroke...
    Life keeps throwing curve balls; the trick, I'm learning, is to duck...

Very Active Member Julie Roddin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ok, here goes....

I did a meet today, only signed up last Wednesday. It started off awful...18 seconds slower in the 500 than at zones last year and ended up at 5:58. I went 5:50 in practice a few weeks ago. Shook it off, got a good warm down and then went into 100 back feeling much more relaxed. I took .8 seconds off my best time in masters. I was thrilled! Had a long break and then the 200 IM...just had nothing, I tried to swim fast, but couldn't even push myself to go faster. Got out of the pool, moved from lane 6 over to lane 3, watched the three heats of 50 breast and then back up on the blocks for my once in a lifetime 200 fly. Could barely get my arms out of the water for the last 25, but did it legally and actually think I may do it again someday.

Despite all the time I added to my 500, I'm not worried about zones. I think with taper, rest, etc. I will be faster than last year. It was good to do this meet because I needed a kick in the butt to focus more during my workouts. I'm excited about my 100 back and think that my college PR is somewhere in my future, but maybe not this year. Still, I'm excited for the Albatross Open in three weeks and then Zones in April.

Does anyone else have trouble with their first event of the meet? This is becoming a chronic problem that I have had for the last two years. I am always so wound up before the first event and do really bad, then am able to regroup and follow it up with good swims.

Oh, and I met swimshark in the locker room after the meet. Looking forward to chatting more at the next meet

Julie

for me, this is a goal achieved....
    early this afternoon..... swim 1 1/3 miles.... get home, change, run 4.2 miles... it felt soooooooooo good.....

bliss twice in one day!

be,

jim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by julieopl View Post
    Does anyone else have trouble with their first event of the meet? This is becoming a chronic problem that I have had for the last two years. I am always so wound up before the first event and do really bad, then am able to regroup and follow it up with good swims.

Oh, and I met swimshark in the locker room after the meet. Looking forward to chatting more at the next meet

Julie
    Julie never fear. I and my amazing 50 fly and 100IM will be on hand at Zones to make you feel much better. OMG is all I can say about my IM and fly! I sometimes feel I'm not awake on my first event if it's early...I think I need to be a little more vigourous in the warm up...

My daughter's swim teacher timed me again for 50 free. I dropped 5 seconds from the last time he timed me four weeks ago. I'm finally getting to see some hard work pay off - it's been tough, wondering if I'm working on the right things or whether I've been spinning my wheels. I'm very, very happy to see some improvement.
    "...it is but well to be on friendly terms with all the inmates of the place one lodges in."
    Melville, Moby Dick

Jiminos == thanks for the invite for coffee -- if I am planning to be in your area sometime I will email and take you up on your offer.
    Nancy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud View Post
    Julie never fear. I and my amazing 50 fly and 100IM will be on hand at Zones to make you feel much better. OMG is all I can say about my IM and fly! I sometimes feel I'm not awake on my first event if it's early...I think I need to be a little more vigourous in the warm up...
    I think I have the opposite problem because I was so wound up this morning that my hands were shaking before the 500. Maybe I should back off on the coffee before meets. I always have the same amount every day, but I guess I could have less before meets. It never seems to be a problem before morning swim practice. Strange.

Last year at Zones, I swam the 1650 on Friday night and went out WAY too fast. I think my first 500 was 5:44, way faster than this morning! But once I got that event over with, I just felt better. We did a lot of relays on Sat/Sun so that helped a lot with calming me down for the individual events. I'll have to recruit some teammates to swim in the meet and we'll put some relays together.

Can't wait to meet you at zones!!!!

Peter,

Way WAY cool thread! Congrats to everyone on their achievements!

Ensignada, dropping 5 seconds in a 50 free is fantastic, no matter what time you're starting from. Yay for you!!

Julie, I have big problems with my first event too. Particularly if it is a 50 (tend to spin spin spin). But my 100 IM had some serious issues today, too, with choking on water while trying to make my fly go faster than it should. It does seem to help if I do some 12 1/2 yd sprints from the blocks at the end of warmup. Alas, skipped the sprints today!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aquaFeisty View Post
    It does seem to help if I do some 12 1/2 yd sprints from the blocks at the end of warmup. Alas, skipped the sprints today!
    Funny because I had a whole debate with myself during warm up about doing sprints from the blocks today. I did only one and I didn't even sprint.

I wish I had done a 50 first rather than suffering through the 500 as my first event. I honestly thought about just getting out after the 200 but then yelled at myself for wanting to be a quitter.

I'm glad I have one more meet before zones to work this all out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ensignada View Post
    My daughter's swim teacher timed me again for 50 free. I dropped 5 seconds from the last time he timed me four weeks ago. I'm finally getting to see some hard work pay off - it's been tough, wondering if I'm working on the right things or whether I've been spinning my wheels. I'm very, very happy to see some improvement.
    Attagirl Barb...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by julieopl View Post
    I think I have the opposite problem because I was so wound up this morning that my hands were shaking before the 500. Maybe I should back off on the coffee before meets. I always have the same amount every day, but I guess I could have less before meets. It never seems to be a problem before morning swim practice. Strange.

Can't wait to meet you at zones!!!!
    Yeah I guess I am too calm...and thus start slow. I normally get "the doubts" about 2 or 3 days before the event. Once it's showtime though I just sem to get on with it...just a tad too laid back perhaps.

Ditto on meeting you and a bunch of others

Very Active Member Peter Cruise's Avatar

Good work, all. My first race usually stinks and if it is a multiiple day event, I get better as it goes on. It probably is linked (hauling out one of my fave phrases) to the fact that I loathe, abhor and detest warm-ups at meets. The bigger the meet, the more people and the EARLIER in the morning you're expected to jump into cold water admidst all these people churning away like they're at Olympic Trials while I feel dozy, slow and a varying amount of not-so-damned-slim-as-these-aquatic-greyhounds. Hence I usually get out quick and put on seven layers of sweatsuits and fret over the heat sheets.

Oh goodness, what an uncalled-for diatribe...perhaps someone can relate...

I'm a little bit wired, Friday I found out I have three separate job interviews next week after 4 months of no nibbles and yes, any of the 3 would do, so I suppose that's my positive thing to report, not exactly swim related, but believe me, if things work out, very swim related personally. Don't ask about them, I'll let everyone know if and when...
    Life keeps throwing curve balls; the trick, I'm learning, is to duck...

Back is faster than Fly poolraat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Instead of an attaboy this is the opposite:

I did a triathlon swim yesterday. This a sprint event that I have done every year since they started it 4 years ago. I swim (750y) with a team of 50 somethings like myself. We always do good for old guys, 2nd in the team division yesterday, but each year my swim time has become slower by about 10 sec. It's a pool swim done in heats and I led my heat for about 400 then I got passed (by a 19yo) and I just let her go. Made no effort to try to stay with her but instead just resigned myself to 2nd. That's not happened before. I guess the bad thing is that I finished knowing I could have swam faster but didn't.
    I have entered the snapdragon stage of my life (Part of me has snapped and the rest of me is draggin ).

why is it the opposite? it seems to me one should be recognized for knowing there are limits.... resigning one's self to second behind somebody 30 years younger is bad how???? particularly after conceding your time increases by 10 seconds or so each year... do you suppose her times are dropping or increasing?....

i say attaboy for doing that which many do not.... trying.

be,
    jim

Blog Entries

Floyd

there are probably a bunch of reasons...maybe today just wasn't your day. The resigning may have been a subconcious way of your mind listening to somehing in your body not being 100% and telling you to ease up and not go nuts with just a few weeks until the big events.

Don't be down on yourself.

Rich

Back is faster than Fly poolraat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I know you guys are right, but still....I hate to lose! Don't you?
    I have entered the snapdragon stage of my life (Part of me has snapped and the rest of me is draggin ).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by poolraat View Post
    I know you guys are right, but still....I hate to lose! Don't you?
    Be philosophical:
    You were 2nd to a 19 year old who would probably have had a bit left in the tank to break away again from you if you had pushed it.
    Now if you chased you may have stressed or strained yourself to a point that could have led to injury. I'm not distance swimmer so I don't know exactly how you can approach it.

Withthat in mind I say kudos you came 2nd and to someone a few years younger than you...there is no shame there Floyd. You can't win them all...and sometimes backing off on a small victory will leave you in position for a big win.

Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast