Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 893

Thread: Attaboy or attagirl: SR NH everyone welcome

  1. #81
    Active Member jiminos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ocean Shores, WA
    Posts
    43

    Re: Attaboy or attagirl: SR NH everyone welcome

    Quote Originally Posted by poolraat View Post
    I know you guys are right, but still....I hate to lose! Don't you?
    having never competed in swimming and having competed hundreds of times in running and never won.... i have to say.... all i've ever done is win.

    must be a perspective thing.... i won because i was there, not because i was first or 400th across the line. you win when you beat the demon that says, "you can't do it."

    be,

    jim

  2. #82
    Very Fetching Rump SwimStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Out East...in the pool
    Posts
    5,309
    Blog Entries
    429

    Re: Attaboy or attagirl: SR NH everyone welcome

    Quote Originally Posted by poolraat View Post
    I know you guys are right, but still....I hate to lose! Don't you?
    2nd to a 19yr old isn't losing Floyd.

    Besides...letting this one go may have prevented an injury if you had strained yourself.
    Save the gut busters for Nats...or Zones...wherever your Olympics may be.



    .

  3. #83
    Very Active Member Peter Cruise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
    Posts
    1,967

    Re: Attaboy or attagirl: SR NH everyone welcome

    So you're human, on any given day, anyone can lose, even Tiger Woods. If you are really perplexed about it and cannot isolate a pacing, conditioning or technique issue, consider the possibility that, deep down, you may just be bored with this event.
    Life keeps throwing curve balls; the trick, I'm learning, is to duck...

  4. #84
    Back is faster than Fly poolraat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Newe Sogobia (Elko, NV)
    Posts
    1,446
    Blog Entries
    1113

    Re: Attaboy or attagirl: SR NH everyone welcome

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Cruise View Post
    So you're human, on any given day, anyone can lose, even Tiger Woods. If you are really perplexed about it and cannot isolate a pacing, conditioning or technique issue, consider the possibility that, deep down, you may just be bored with this event.
    Good point. I guess what's bothering me is that I didn't even try. Where is that " killer instinct" that use to be there when I raced? I was in a "comfort zone" and wasn't willing to push past it. But enough of that. It's past now. Forget about it and look ahead to the next one.
    It will be a bit shorter...by about 650y.
    I have entered the snapdragon stage of my life (Part of me has snapped and the rest of me is draggin ).

  5. #85
    sprint diva The Fortress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    8,035
    Blog Entries
    1704

    Re: Attaboy or attagirl: SR NH everyone welcome

    Quote Originally Posted by julieopl View Post
    Ok, here goes....

    I did a meet today, only signed up last Wednesday. It started off awful...18 seconds slower in the 500 than at zones last year and ended up at 5:58. I went 5:50 in practice a few weeks ago. Shook it off, got a good warm down and then went into 100 back feeling much more relaxed. I took .8 seconds off my best time in masters. I was thrilled! Had a long break and then the 200 IM...just had nothing, I tried to swim fast, but couldn't even push myself to go faster. Got out of the pool, moved from lane 6 over to lane 3, watched the three heats of 50 breast and then back up on the blocks for my once in a lifetime 200 fly. Could barely get my arms out of the water for the last 25, but did it legally and actually think I may do it again someday.

    Despite all the time I added to my 500, I'm not worried about zones. I think with taper, rest, etc. I will be faster than last year. It was good to do this meet because I needed a kick in the butt to focus more during my workouts. I'm excited about my 100 back and think that my college PR is somewhere in my future, but maybe not this year. Still, I'm excited for the Albatross Open in three weeks and then Zones in April.

    Does anyone else have trouble with their first event of the meet? This is becoming a chronic problem that I have had for the last two years. I am always so wound up before the first event and do really bad, then am able to regroup and follow it up with good swims.
    Julie:

    Way to go! Those are a tough bunch of events for a short meet. I can't believe you got so little rest between the 2-IM and the 2-Fly. You are much braver than me. Great job on the 100 back! I have a feeling I will get outtouched again this year in that at Albatross -- or worse. I'm hoping to see you this Thursday. Eye infection all better. Great job!

  6. #86
    Very Active Member FlyQueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,449
    Blog Entries
    100

    Re: Attaboy or attagirl: SR NH everyone welcome

    Quote Originally Posted by julieopl View Post
    Ok, here goes....


    Does anyone else have trouble with their first event of the meet? This is becoming a chronic problem that I have had for the last two years. I am always so wound up before the first event and do really bad, then am able to regroup and follow it up with good swims.


    Julie

    Julie, normally I swim really well in my first event. In yesterday's meet however, I improved as I went along. I have convinced myself and my teammates that the first event for me (the 100 fly) didn't actually take place, they just skipped right over it. Ande would just die if he saw my splits, I was never relaxed and knew I was in trouble after the first oh ... 10 yards. I tried to calm down and relax and stretch my stroke out, but to no avail ... the worst 100 fly I have ever swum in terms of feel and maybe even the worst race, certainly my worst race in masters ...

    I ended the meet with a PR in the 100 free though so go figure ...

    Perhaps you didn't warm up quite enough?
    "I don't race to see who is the fastest, I race to see who has the most guts."

  7. #87
    Very Active Member Julie Roddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    249
    Blog Entries
    334

    Re: Attaboy or attagirl: SR NH everyone welcome

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress View Post
    Julie: Way to go! Those are a tough bunch of events for a short meet. I can't believe you got so little rest between the 2-IM and the 2-Fly. You are much braver than me. Great job on the 100 back! I have a feeling I will get outtouched again this year in that at Albatross -- or worse. I'm hoping to see you this Thursday. Eye infection all better. Great job!
    Yeah, having less than 5 minuted in between 200 IM and 200 fly is not good. I was still breathing pretty heavy when I got up on the blocks for the 200 fly. I almost started doing breaststroke kick towards the end, which I had no idea was legal until I was telling Wally at practice tonight about my 200 fly. If only I had known!!! The 100 back was awesome...such a good feeling. Only 6 more seconds to break a minute

    I had a great workout tonight and was coming in on 1:05-1:07 for a set of 10 x 100 free. If only I could have done that YESTERDAY during my 500 free. Oh well, it was good to do some races and remember what it feel like to push yourself in a race.

    See you at the pool! I'll be there Thursday. Are you definitely doing Albatross? Anyone else on the board doing Albatross besides Muppet? SwimmieAvsFan maybe?

  8. #88
    Very Active Member Allen Stark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Mulino,OR
    Posts
    3,907

    Re: Attaboy or attagirl: SR NH everyone welcome

    I have generally had problems with my first event of a meet,espcially if it is a early AM event.One thing I have found that helps me is to take extra time with warmup and make sure I do a little sprinting in warmup.If I had a 500 for my first event though I'd skip warmup,swim the 500 for my warmup and then get ready for the meet. If I swam a hard 500 for my first event it would be my last event of the day.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

  9. #89
    Very Active Member FlyQueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,449
    Blog Entries
    100

    Re: Attaboy or attagirl: SR NH everyone welcome

    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    I have generally had problems with my first event of a meet,espcially if it is a early AM event.One thing I have found that helps me is to take extra time with warmup and make sure I do a little sprinting in warmup.If I had a 500 for my first event though I'd skip warmup,swim the 500 for my warmup and then get ready for the meet. If I swam a hard 500 for my first event it would be my last event of the day.

    I laugh because I agree ... I did the 500 once two years ago and acutally did use it as a warm-up (I might have done a 100 first to get a feel for the walls and water temp)

    BLECH! Too long ...
    "I don't race to see who is the fastest, I race to see who has the most guts."

  10. #90
    Very Active Member newmastersswimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Somewhere in Andromeda
    Posts
    1,747

    Re: Attaboy or attagirl: SR NH everyone welcome

    Julie ...You are an animal!! I wouldn't have even been able to finish that 200 fly legaly with such short rest after a 200 IM!...and it was your first 200 fly ever at that! I am not worthy ....How can you swim so many tough events in a one day meet anyway! You must be tougher than nails! Note to self:....Never ever cross Julie on the discussion boards! Good Luck at Zones Julie!! You will swim an awesome 500 at zones ....I promise!!

    Newmastersswimmer
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

    "I would love to help you out.....Which way did you come in?" Groucho Marx

    "24 beers in a case and 24 hours in a day....Coincidence?" Steven Wright

  11. #91
    Very Active Member Julie Roddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    249
    Blog Entries
    334

    Re: Attaboy or attagirl: SR NH everyone welcome

    Quote Originally Posted by newmastersswimmer View Post
    ...and it was your first 200 fly ever at that!
    Actually I did swim the 200 fly a few times in college, but it definitely wasn't my best event. We had this one meet in mid-November where all of the freshman had to swim every event (200 BK, 200 BR, 200 Fly, 200 IM, 400 IM, 500 free, 1650 free) and it was a prelims/finals meet so unfortunately some of us, myself included, had to swim every event twice and coach wouldn't let us scratch anything. Fortunately the 1650 was in the middle of the day and only swum once. The 800 free relay was the last event and after we swam it at finals, we all were so exhausted that we could barely make it through dinner without falling asleep. It was torture, but definitely built some mental toughness.

  12. #92
    Very Active Member newmastersswimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Somewhere in Andromeda
    Posts
    1,747

    Re: Attaboy or attagirl: SR NH everyone welcome

    Quote Originally Posted by julieopl View Post
    Actually I did swim the 200 fly a few times in college, but it definitely wasn't my best event. We had this one meet in mid-November where all of the freshman had to swim every event (200 BK, 200 BR, 200 Fly, 200 IM, 400 IM, 500 free, 1650 free) and it was a prelims/finals meet so unfortunately some of us, myself included, had to swim every event twice and coach wouldn't let us scratch anything. Fortunately the 1650 was in the middle of the day and only swum once. The 800 free relay was the last event and after we swam it at finals, we all were so exhausted that we could barely make it through dinner without falling asleep. It was torture, but definitely built some mental toughness.

    Your College coach sounds pretty scarey Julie.....but maybe thats why your so tough as a Master's swimmer?....When you compare Master's meets to what you've already been thru in college, I can see how you might think almost anything seems doable compared to that! I had a really tough agegroup coach growing up that had us doing some pretty insane sets and yardage.....I just try to block it out of my mind now....LOL!!

    Newmastersswimmer
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

    "I would love to help you out.....Which way did you come in?" Groucho Marx

    "24 beers in a case and 24 hours in a day....Coincidence?" Steven Wright

  13. #93
    Very Active Member newmastersswimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Somewhere in Andromeda
    Posts
    1,747

    Re: Attaboy or attagirl: SR NH everyone welcome

    O.k. Maybe this qualifies me for a semi-attaboy (although its not much....but maybe its a start)? I went to my first spin class tonight in over a year and I didn't do that bad.....I actually made it through the entire 45 minutes without stopping....and then I stayed after the spin class to do both the ab workout that followed as welll as the free-weight workout after that....then I swam for about 30-40 minutes to stretch out my stroke. I wieghed myself afterwards and it turns out that I am about 5 - 10 pounds lighter than what I expected to see. I am hoping to get back into the spin class thing more regularly now. The new thread on spin classes got me to thinking about how the spin classes probably had as much to do with my weight loss a couple of years back as the swimming did. Anyway, I hope it works for me again?....Wish me luck!

    Newmastersswimmer
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

    "I would love to help you out.....Which way did you come in?" Groucho Marx

    "24 beers in a case and 24 hours in a day....Coincidence?" Steven Wright

  14. #94
    sprint diva The Fortress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    8,035
    Blog Entries
    1704

    Re: Attaboy or attagirl: SR NH everyone welcome

    Quote Originally Posted by newmastersswimmer View Post
    O.k. Maybe this qualifies me for a semi-attaboy (although its not much....but maybe its a start)? I went to my first spin class tonight in over a year and I didn't do that bad.....I actually made it through the entire 45 minutes without stopping....and then I stayed after the spin class to do both the ab workout that followed as welll as the free-weight workout after that....then I swam for about 30-40 minutes to stretch out my stroke. I wieghed myself afterwards and it turns out that I am about 5 - 10 pounds lighter than what I expected to see. I am hoping to get back into the spin class thing more regularly now. The new thread on spin classes got me to thinking about how the spin classes probably had as much to do with my weight loss a couple of years back as the swimming did. Anyway, I hope it works for me again?....Wish me luck!

    Newmastersswimmer
    Definitely qualifies as an attaboy! Great job! Great day of workouts!

    I have been thinking the same thing about spinning. That I should do more of it to supplement the swimming since I can't swim 24/7. Or run 24/7. Tomorrow, I'm going to lift, bike, swim. Same as you.

    Julie:

    I sent in my form for Albatross. It's in the afternoon, unlike Chinn, so it's safe to say I will show up. Don't know how I'll do. We'll see. I only entered three events because I hate the order of events and I'm not doing no 200 fly. You and William and maybe Muppet can have fun with that. Maybe you should advance to the 200 back?

  15. #95
    Very Active Member Got Boost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pueblo CO
    Posts
    109

    Re: Attaboy or attagirl: SR NH everyone welcome

    For me a small attaboy, my first work out since I started swimming again over 3000 meters, and I am not praying for death like I thought i would be.
    Gor Boost
    And now my friend, the first rule of Itialian driving, whats behind me is not important.
    Franco, The Gumball Rally

  16. #96
    Very Active Member Slowswim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Heidelberg Germany
    Posts
    1,043

    Re: Attaboy or attagirl: SR NH everyone welcome

    Okay, y'all have convinced me to go back to spinning class. I did it years ago, but could stay with it due to my work schedule.

    I going to start next Wednesday (I'm in taper for a race this weekend). I plan to still swim my part of my workout (approx 1500m) immediately prior. Is that too much? I want to keep my Mon-Wed-Fri swim and Tue-Thur run schedule and just add the spinning on top.
    I keep telling my coaches, "I am a sprinter" and "they keep saying you swim short races, but that is not the same thing." - Some Girl

  17. #97
    Very Active Member Julie Roddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    249
    Blog Entries
    334

    Re: Attaboy or attagirl: SR NH everyone welcome

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress View Post
    Julie: I sent in my form for Albatross. It's in the afternoon, unlike Chinn, so it's safe to say I will show up. Don't know how I'll do. We'll see. I only entered three events because I hate the order of events and I'm not doing no 200 fly. You and William and maybe Muppet can have fun with that. Maybe you should advance to the 200 back?
    Ok, I lied. I'm swimming the backstroke events and not the 200 breast or 200 fly.

    200 back - 100 back - 100 IM - 400 IM

    400 IM should be interesting! Is anyone going to the post-meet social? I didn't even see that on the registration form until the other day.

  18. #98
    Very Active Member islandsox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Roatan, Honduras
    Posts
    1,158

    Re: Attaboy or attagirl: SR NH everyone welcome

    Quote Originally Posted by newmastersswimmer View Post
    O.k. Maybe this qualifies me for a semi-attaboy (although its not much....but maybe its a start)? I went to my first spin class tonight in over a year and I didn't do that bad.....I actually made it through the entire 45 minutes without stopping....and then I stayed after the spin class to do both the ab workout that followed as welll as the free-weight workout after that....then I swam for about 30-40 minutes to stretch out my stroke. I wieghed myself afterwards and it turns out that I am about 5 - 10 pounds lighter than what I expected to see. I am hoping to get back into the spin class thing more regularly now. The new thread on spin classes got me to thinking about how the spin classes probably had as much to do with my weight loss a couple of years back as the swimming did. Anyway, I hope it works for me again?....Wish me luck!

    Newmastersswimmer
    I say congratulations on adding a spin class to your workout routine. Oh, sorry, ATTABOY.

    I have nothing to ATTAGIRL about as yet, my 350 yd fly challenge training doesn't start until next Monday, the 19th.
    Insanity is hereditary--you get it from your kids

  19. #99
    Very Active Member Julie Roddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    249
    Blog Entries
    334

    Re: Attaboy or attagirl: SR NH everyone welcome

    Quote Originally Posted by islandsox View Post
    I have nothing to ATTAGIRL about as yet, my 350 yd fly challenge training doesn't start until next Monday, the 19th.
    You are officially a STUD!!! 350 fly?!?!?

  20. #100
    Very Fetching Rump SwimStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Out East...in the pool
    Posts
    5,309
    Blog Entries
    429

    Re: Attaboy or attagirl: SR NH everyone welcome

    Quote Originally Posted by julieopl View Post
    You are officially a STUD!!! 350 fly?!?!?
    I think we need to keep Stud for the guys

    Studmuffin can be for the ladies.
    Donna is a Studmuffin


    lol



    .

Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •