Thread: Help! What am I good at?

Very Active Member

Help! What am I good at?

I just finished my last meet of the year, and Iím trying to decide what Iím good at and what strokes & distances to focus on for next year. Since January, Iíve really focused on endurance and improved in the longer events, but Iím not sure whether I should keep focusing on those or move back to the shorter events. I've been told that my stroke is pretty but not powerful. Here are my approximate best times in all the events Iíve swum, almost all from the past year or so (all SCY, female, college club swimmer). Basically the question is, what am I good at/what can I improve in/any other comments on my times/etc. I don't want to bias you by saying what I think I might be good at until I hear what some of you think.

50 free :31.70
    100 free 1:10.50
    200 free 2:44
    500 free 7:40

50 back :36.00
    100 back 1:20?
    200 back 2:49

50 breast :42.50
    100 breast 1:33

50 fly :33.80
    100 fly 1:22.50

100 IM 1:17.80
    200 IM 2:56

Blog Entries

Re: Help! What am I good at?

Here's a link to USA Swimming's Power Point Calculator: http://www.usaswimming.org/USASWeb/D...ainbow&Lang=en

With this you can see how many power points each of your swims is worth. It will pretty much take the guess work out of your question: "what am I good at?"

Very Active Member

I know that my best event is the 200 free, but I don't care to swim it because it makes my legs hurt for 2 days and slows down the rest of my meet. Do what you enjoy the most.

(Oh and your best events are the 50 fly and 100 IM)

Quote Originally Posted by globuggie View Post
    Iím trying to decide what Iím good at and what strokes & distances to focus on for next year.
    "Good" is a relative term. Sounds like you were really testing the waters this year, which is a good thing. I recommend to do a recap on each of those events. Which ones did you like more? Which ones did you have a good time? Which ones really challenged you? Which ones did you not like? Was it too long/ too short? Did you have any swims where you had a tough time getting through the race and got out and said "I can totally do better than that!"

My recommendation is to use your recap to pick 2-3 events you really like and want to train for. Don't pick so much based on time, but on fun factor as well.
    I train for the 100 and 500 freestyle, but my next of kin so to speak is 50/100 fly. While I do work in some shorter fly into my workouts, the 1/500s are my focus. The rest fo my events, I just get in and swim them, letting the race come as is and hope for the best. Last year, my PBs were all in the flys and IM. Go figure
    man up, buttercup!

Very Active Member

I do agree that swimming events I enjoy is more important than swimming my best events, but I don't really have specific events I like more than others right now. My 500 free a month ago was great, but so was my 25 fly last weekend. I've sort of been considering making the 100 IM my main focus event for next year just because it's a little bit of everything - all the strokes, and requires both power and endurance, and then I can decide later whether I want to work more on 50's or 100's of the individual strokes. I'm just really at a point where I could push my swimming in several directions, and I don't really know what's best for me.

Your 50 fly stands out when I look at all of your times. Nice swim.
    Made with real lightning!

Your question makes me wonder if USMS would ever consider creating age group based A/B/C time standards like those used in USA swimming. I think it would be nice to have goals of making new cuts in our age groups, even if they didn't mean anything in terms of what meets we could attend (like they do in kids' swimming). Something like that might help you, and I think a lot of people would enjoy have stepping stone goal times besides just things like qualifying for nationals or making top 10 times. Just an idea!

Blog Entries

I would agree that your 50 Fly looks good as does your 50 Back. Maybe you could work on some endurance for the 100's of those strokes for next year. Or just do what I do, swim everything atleast once a year just to say you did it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by globuggie View Post
    I've sort of been considering making the 100 IM my main focus event for next year just because it's a little bit of everything - all the strokes, and requires both power and endurance
    The 100 IM requires endurance?

I'm just really at a point where I could push my swimming in several directions, and I don't really know what's best for me.
    My advice would be to keep swimming everything. Variety is good and sooner or later you'll start to get a feeling for what your best strokes and distances are.

Very Active Member MichiganHusker's Avatar

Or you could just be really slow in everything like me!