Thread: Swimming with Sharks

Very Active Member

Swimming with Sharks

In Hawaii and Australia, they offer cage diving and swimming with sharks. Anyone ever done this and how sturdy are the cages. I really want to do this in Australia with the great whites.

Stop silly posts

Re: Swimming with Sharks

I believe they are constructed of balsa wood, fortified with duct tape.

Sharks are not my thing.
    Keep it simple George Park
    Swimsuit Sale http://www.swimdownhill.com/index.html

Very Active Member

When you get tired of doing that, come up here and go to Banff to feed the bears. They are supposedly fond of marshmallows.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by stillwater View Post
    I believe they are constructed of balsa wood, fortified with duct tape.
    Interesting.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by geochuck View Post
    Sharks are not my thing.
    I get really into them around Discovery shark week. I was in Hawaii in January and almost did it on the North Shore.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ripple View Post
    When you get tired of doing that, come up here and go to Banff to feed the bears. They are supposedly fond of marshmallows.
    polar bears? Or just regular bears?

Bears and hikers like exactly the same food -- PB&J, chocolates, nuts, sardines -- which is why they are frequently found together. I'd love to see Banff! (drool)

A fascinating nature program on sharks ran on PBS last August (aviso: I do not have a TV, so quite a lot of ho-hum stuff is new and fascinating to me). The substance was, stroking sharks' noses or inverting them produces a state of tonic immobility, or mesmerization.* In this state, researchers can work with the sharks. The sharks may also have a (short-term) memory of being blissed out by the researchers and don't eat them first thing they get a chance to. That would be much more fun than sitting in a bamboo and duct tape cage simulating an encounter.

*Not all sharks, and some have to be rubbed along the snout rather than across the top of it. It's a trial-and-error sort of thing.

VB

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by ViveBene View Post
    Bears and hikers like exactly the same food -- PB&J, chocolates, nuts, sardines -- which is why they are frequently found together. I'd love to see Banff! (drool)

A fascinating nature program on sharks ran on PBS last August (aviso: I do not have a TV, so quite a lot of ho-hum stuff is new and fascinating to me). The substance was, stroking sharks' noses or inverting them produces a state of tonic immobility, or mesmerization.* In this state, researchers can work with the sharks. The sharks may also have a (short-term) memory of being blissed out by the researchers and don't eat them first thing they get a chance to. That would be much more fun than sitting in a bamboo and duct tape cage simulating an encounter.

*Not all sharks, and some have to be rubbed along the snout rather than across the top of it. It's a trial-and-error sort of thing.

VB
    VB,

So if it is a trial and error thing, I guess if you come back missing a hand...it was in error.

KKC

Quote Originally Posted by LonghornbackinTX View Post
    VB,

So if it is a trial and error thing, I guess if you come back missing a hand...it was in error.
    KKC
    If you come back at all, more bananas to you!

To each his own.... I think if it is a benign environment (i.e., the sharks are not aroused for the caged viewers by having fresh entrails dragged in front of them) it could be quite interesting. Are you formulating an actual plan?

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by ViveBene View Post
    If you come back at all, more bananas to you!

To each his own.... I think if it is a benign environment (i.e., the sharks are not aroused for the caged viewers by having fresh entrails dragged in front of them) it could be quite interesting. Are you formulating an actual plan?
    Yep. I know they offer them in Australia, and my dad has been talking about a month long family vacay. I am currently doing research on who to use.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by LonghornbackinTX View Post
    polar bears? Or just regular bears?
    We have both grizzlys and black bears. Black bears are most common and found near the town site (they've even shown up in back yards in west Calgary on rare occasions) while grizzlys are mostly found in the high back country areas. You'd have to go to the arctic to find polar bears (which sometimes cross-breed with grizzlys) and we're a long way from the Bering Sea!

DeletedAccount

I love sharks and Open Water swimming. Great combo! I plan to see the Great White's off South Australia in the future. They also have awesome GWS sight-seeing/dives off South Africa and right off San Francisco - Farallon Islands.

As swimmers I think we must all do our part to help protect and conserve sharks, which are overfished in many areas of the world, with some species now endangered and their existance seriously threatened.

Brody: What day is this?
    Hooper: It's Wednesday... uh, it's Tuesday, I think.
    Brody: Think the tide's with us?
    Hooper: Keep kicking.
    Brody: I used to hate the water...
    Hooper: I can't imagine why.
    Last edited by DeletedAccount; February 20th, 2008 at 03:55 PM.