Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Burger King sued over Trans Fats

Re: Burger King sued over Trans Fats

Just went to the doc today to get a report on my blood, kidneys etc. all is well, no problems. I think we can eat anything we want as long as we do not over do any.

We need fats yes even saturated fats. Sometimes our problems are hereditary. Never had a cholesterol problem and I eat about a dozen eggs a week, and lots of beef. I also love butter (never margerine). He said a very slight amount of protein, nothing to worry about but it did not show up in the urine tests.

When ever I travel my breakfast is at MacDonalds a sausage biscuit, some times with egg. Never have that slimmy cheese.
    Keep it simple George Park
    Swimsuit Sale http://www.swimdownhill.com/index.html

Very Active Member

Burger King knowingly is offering a product that has devastating health consequences because it is cheaper. The fact that you don't have to eat there is irrelevant. It is right as a society to expect that the products we buy are reasonably safe.

Keep this in mind: it is not the hamburger to which they are objecting. It is the usage of an unsafe frying oil when a *safer* alternative is readily available.

Very Active Member scyfreestyler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    Burger King knowingly is offering a product that has devastating health consequences because it is cheaper. The fact that you don't have to eat there is irrelevant. It is right as a society to expect that the products we buy are reasonably safe.

Keep this in mind: it is not the hamburger to which they are objecting. It is the usage of an unsafe frying oil when a *safer* alternative is readily available.
    The fact still remains, they are being sued for something that is not illegal. And to be fair, the products they sell are reasonably safe...if you are reasonable about their consumption.

As for George and his checkup, that is great news. However, I don't think that moderation is all there is to the puzzle. Some people are more prone to high LDL/low HDL than others. There is no single method to being healthy that will work for everybody.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler View Post
    The fact still remains, they are being sued for something that is not illegal. And to be fair, the products they sell are reasonably safe...if you are reasonable about their consumption.
    It is irrelevant if they are legal/illegal. This is a civil suit, not a criminal. The product is being made in a less safe manner because it is cheaper. There is a long precedence for this: if you cut corners on cost to the detriment of the consumer, expect to be sued, especially if it is the detriment of health.

scyfreestyler

True everyone is not the same, I can eat almost anything and it makes no difference. I limit my intake of fries to 12 generally but on occassion many more especially when I have Halibut and fries. We fry in canola oil.

My longtime sugar was 6.1 which is well controlled.

If we want Burger King to change boycott.

It is like gas prices are too high we are starting boycotts here in Vancouver. The first one is don't buy your gas from Shell for a week.
    Keep it simple George Park
    Swimsuit Sale http://www.swimdownhill.com/index.html

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    It is irrelevant if they are legal/illegal.
    Apparently, it is also irrelevant that we are free to make our own dining choices and know that fast food, for the most part, isn't the smartest health decision.

We've been down this path before. There is one camp that thinks we should allow the gov't to legislate what we eat and another camp that thinks we can make our own decisions.

CreamPuff

I really wish the government would get more involved in my life.
    I really trust them in terms of their financial, medical, and nutritional wisdom.
    Heck, their track record speaks for itself!

Perhaps they can tell me what to eat and what not to eat and when and where.
    Who knew Burger King had fatty foods?!

I hope my body type goes from what it is now to say, what Bill and Hillary Clinton's body type is!! Shoot, I need to take their lead and go to McDonalds for the first time in years. What does Bill order - the Big Mac and Fries along with his triple bypass?!
    Government. . . excellent role models that they are!!

Very Active Member

real men eat at White Castle ...

MMMM! Cracker Barrel is yummy!

On the meat subject....I have to share a bumper sticker my husband saw the other day. It said, "If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"
    My goal is to die young as late as possible!

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

Quote Originally Posted by (S)he-Man View Post

I really wish the government would get more involved in my life.
    I really trust them in terms of their financial, medical, and nutritional wisdom.
    Heck, their track record speaks for itself!

Perhaps they can tell me what to eat and what not to eat and when and where.
    Who knew Burger King had fatty foods?!

I hope my body type goes from what it is now to say, what Bill and Hillary Clinton's body type is!! Shoot, I need to take their lead and go to McDonalds for the first time in years. What does Bill order - the Big Mac and Fries along with his triple bypass?!
    Government. . . excellent role models that they are!!
    Oh the irony!
    My goal is to die young as late as possible!

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler View Post

Actually, I thought even small amounts of trans-fats are dangerous. Of course different people have different problems with it. I still think a law suit is not the answer. Other fast food places are advertising that they have gotten rid of trans fats, so one would hope that would prompt all to jump on the band wagon. Personally I don't even know what is on their menu because I never go there, bleh.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by geochuck View Post
    ...when I have Halibut and fries.....

George I insist you call it fish n chips or I'll be forced to wrtie to HRH to protest.

Blog Entries

So, anyway, Cracker Barrel is the worst restaurant ever built, conceived or created. I avoid it like the plague. Have you ever noticed the rocking chairs outside are double wides to accomodate the patrons? The food couldn't be any greasier or nastier. If we are going to start suing restaurants, we should start with that place.

Blog Entries

Geek, you must not be a TRUE Southerner!!!!!! A TRUE Southerner would never Bash the Mecca of the south.......I suppose you don't like Waffle House either

Are you a Northerner in disguise????????
    "Your body will go places your mind never thought it would go, as long as you are mentally tough enough to push it, drag it or carry it there." Tracy A. Burkholder

"If it is to be......it is up to me!" Author unknown.... got it off the wall at Westminster School in Atlanta.

Breaststroke - For the swimmer who finds the other strokes too easy!!!!!!

Blog Entries

Everything in moderation...

...Except swimming!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tjburk View Post
    Geek, you must not be a TRUE Southerner!!!!!! A TRUE Southerner would never Bash the Mecca of the south.......I suppose you don't like Waffle House either

Are you a Northerner in disguise????????
    Waffle House is the yellow beacon of greatness, especially after midnight. I just can't stand the CB.

Quote Originally Posted by aquageek View Post
    So, anyway, Cracker Barrel is the worst restaurant ever built, conceived or created. I avoid it like the plague. Have you ever noticed the rocking chairs outside are double wides to accomodate the patrons? The food couldn't be any greasier or nastier. If we are going to start suing restaurants, we should start with that place.
    Haha! Oh, yeah, Cracker Barrel is pretty bad! The last time I was in one was maybe 3 or 4 years ago. Had lunch with vendors there (their choice of establishment). You know how lots of Cracker Barrels have a big fire place in the center to add to the homey feel? Well, on this one the draft totally wasn't working, so in addition to the greasy food and cigarette smoke, I smelled like a chimney for the rest of the day!

Quote Originally Posted by dorothyrde View Post
    Actually, I thought even small amounts of trans-fats are dangerous. Of course different people have different problems with it. I still think a law suit is not the answer. Other fast food places are advertising that they have gotten rid of trans fats, so one would hope that would prompt all to jump on the band wagon. Personally I don't even know what is on their menu because I never go there, bleh.
    Dorothy, I've heard the same thing about trans fats. They are bad, period, even in moderation. Kind of like rat poison is bad, period, even in moderation. Read the labels on packaged foods... Anything less than 0.5 g trans fat per serving and the food companies can legally put 0g trans fats on the label. So what some manufacturers have done is adjust the serving size such that they can now say 0g trans fats. While I admire this creative use of math, I was ticked when I saw that it had been applied to my daughter's graham crackers!

(which, btw, are NOT consumed in moderation)

Very Active Member FindingMyInnerFish's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, I'm not against lawsuits per se or some reasonable gov't regulation of what goes into food, including pet food. (I just feel very fortunate that I hadn't been feeding my cat any of the foods on the recall list.)

But I'm not so sure that in this case a lawsuit would have as powerful an effect as simply a boycott. People need to get the facts, know what they're getting in the food being served at the fast food establishments. If the company is not forthcoming with this information, we then need to take our business elsewhere. A lawsuit will likely be a one-time settlement and done, whereas "voting with one's feet" will force the company to offer healthier ingredients if it wants to stay in business.

Just my $.02

Very Active Member Peter Cruise's Avatar

Kind of ironic that it may end up being harder to buy trans-fat food than a handgun...
    Life keeps throwing curve balls; the trick, I'm learning, is to duck...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast