Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Burger King sued over Trans Fats

Blog Entries

Re: Burger King sued over Trans Fats

Peter remember...there isn't a gun out there that intentionally killed some one without someone pulling the trigger!
    "Your body will go places your mind never thought it would go, as long as you are mentally tough enough to push it, drag it or carry it there." Tracy A. Burkholder

"If it is to be......it is up to me!" Author unknown.... got it off the wall at Westminster School in Atlanta.

Breaststroke - For the swimmer who finds the other strokes too easy!!!!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Cruise View Post
    Kind of ironic that it may end up being harder to buy trans-fat food than a handgun...
    Exactly. Let's regulate something deadly that could hurt people that are not voluntarily ingesting it.

I like the Waffle House, but it's too smokey. I would prefer not to breathe in second hand smoke as well.
    Last edited by The Fortress; May 17th, 2007 at 11:01 AM.

Very Active Member scyfreestyler's Avatar

I just find it interesting that we can still sell cigarettes which cause over 400 thousand deaths every year but people raise hell about trans fats that are thought to cause about 30 thousand deaths every year. There is no shortage of information regarding trans fats and I can't think of a single person I know who feels that fast food is the least bit healthy. People make these decisions about thier health every day, some make the wise choice and others make the not so wise choice. This is America and we should be free to choose our own lifestyle. Just the same, in America a company should be free to sell its product without concern of lawsuits provided it is adhering to the regulations set forth by the government. The lawsuit in question borders on the stupidity of those who sue tobacco companies once they get empyhsema, oral cancer, lung cancer, etc. It was no secret that the cigarettes were bad for them and they have nobody to blame for their early demise other than themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler View Post
    I just find it interesting...{snip}... they have nobody to blame for their early demise other than themselves.
    Excellent point.

Quote Originally Posted by (S)he-Man View Post
    I really wish the government would get more involved in my life.
    I really trust them in terms of their financial, medical, and nutritional wisdom.... {snip}
    ("Oh you're a riot Alice... You're a regular riot!!!")

- - -

As for "Burger King sued over Trans Fats"...
    What can you do? The population of morons on the planet, particularly in the USA, seems to be growing exponentially every day. For another example see the following little nugget from the 14-May-07 Fortune magazine:
    Parents are Failing the Education Test
    My initial reaction to parents complaining about their kids having to learn algebra was a brief moment of stunned disbelief, quickly followed by a loud outburst of laughter. I love the way Jay Leno says it (particularly when he is doing the news ads)...
    “People are MORONS!”
    Another favorite that I’m reminded of is:
    “I’m mad as hell, and I’m not going to take this anymore.” - Network
    (I had the opportunity to view this again recently. What a chilling concept.)

As always, education is the key. People will continue to do stupid things as long as they are, well, stupid. Of course: “You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink.” I feel my best line of defense is to lead by example. Too often I feel that I fall way short of the mark, but I do get some comfort from the knowledge that I try.

“I hope I grow up to become the person my dog thinks I am.”
    - unknown

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."
    - Catherine Aird

Fugio, ergo sum.

Very Active Member

I just find it interesting that we can still sell cigarettes which cause over 400 thousand deaths every year but people raise hell about trans fats that are thought to cause about 30 thousand deaths every year.
    I think this will help you and other people who are trumpeting "personal responsibility" better understand this: cigarette companies were NOT sued because they were selling an unsafe product. They were sued because they manipulating nicotine levels knowing that it made the product more addictive. The fact that everybody knows that cigarettes are bad was not the point; cigarette companies were manipulating the product. Similarly Burger King is not being sued because they sell a product that is bad for you. I agree with anyone who says that is matter of personal responsibility. However, when a corporation decides to manipulate their product, and when this manipulation harms the public they have done something wrong. Mark my words, Burger King loses this case.

Blog Entries

Bud

We always need to remember that individuals are smart. People collectively are stupid...

We all do stupid things...it's whether we accept the consequences for the action...whether it's mildly amusing or catastrophic...thankfully most of mine have been mildly amusing...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    However, when a corporation decides to manipulate their product, and when this manipulation harms the public they have done something wrong.
    Honestly, I laughed out loud so maybe that was your point. Here are some other lawsuits I am considering filing on behalf of stupid people:

Car manufacturers for manipulating their product to allow it to go over 5 mph. If you go over 5 mph and hit something you could get hurt. That's dangerous.

Goggle manufacturers for producing a product that allows me to swim longer and get pruny skin, dried out skin. Nasty skin is dangerous and unattractive. I need to look my best when I meet Fort and she serves me drinks. Stud could blame his backstroke start on goggles, that was dangerous.

Coke for manipulating their product with too much sugar. Sugar makes me fat. Fat is bad and dangerous. I bet BK serves Coke also so they might be in for a double whammy, or a double whopper.

A similar and recent KFC lawsuit was laughed out of court. We can only hope that will happen here as well.

I'm here for the moron minority.

I think this will help you and other people who are trumpeting "personal responsibility" better understand this: cigarette companies were NOT sued because they were selling an unsafe product. They were sued because they manipulating nicotine levels knowing that it made the product more addictive. The fact that everybody knows that cigarettes are bad was not the point; cigarette companies were manipulating the product. Similarly Burger King is not being sued because they sell a product that is bad for you. I agree with anyone who says that is matter of personal responsibility. However, when a corporation decides to manipulate their product, and when this manipulation harms the public they have done something wrong. Mark my words, Burger King loses this case.
    They are not doing anything that the other fast food chains have not done for years and years. It is not as if they have increased the amount of TF's in their products since the issue has been raised in recent years. Actually, according to this( http://www.boston.com/business/artic...ut_trans_fats/ ) article it seems that BK is on the road to change already.

I still stand by my opinion that healthy eating habits are not something that can be legislated. Nor should such an attempt be made in the first place. It would not surprise me if you are right and BK does lose, but that just shows how screwed up things have become in this country. What a sorry state of affairs.

Quote Originally Posted by aquageek View Post
    Honestly, I laughed out loud so maybe that was your point. Here are some other lawsuits I am considering filing on behalf of stupid people:

Car manufacturers for manipulating their product to allow it to go over 5 mph. If you go over 5 mph and hit something you could get hurt. That's dangerous.

Goggle manufacturers for producing a product that allows me to swim longer and get pruny skin, dried out skin. Nasty skin is dangerous and unattractive. I need to look my best when I meet Fort and she serves me drinks. Stud could blame his backstroke start on goggles, that was dangerous.

Coke for manipulating their product with too much sugar. Sugar makes me fat. Fat is bad and dangerous. I bet BK serves Coke also so they might be in for a double whammy, or a double whopper.

I'm here for the moron minority.
    Amen.

To the best of my knowledge there is no speed limit above 75 in the state of California. Perhaps auto manufacturers should be sued for allowing vehicles to surpass that limit. My 330i was limited to 130 MPH and I had it there a few times on public roads. Shame on BMW for selling cars that have the ability to travel that fast.

wasn't there a lawsuit that someone actually won against McDonald's that had to do with them filing suit for McD's causing obesity, particularly in kids? Something like there weren't sufficient healthy choices on the menu or something goofy like that? I can't quite recall.

I loved (S)he-man's gov't post!

I'm very anti-trans fat, but duhhhhh, I can read the labels and choose which foods I do and do not want to buy. Geez. And Matt's right... cigarette's are much worse for the population than trans fats (at least per the research so far) and they're still available.

Oh Boy! Here we go again!

I foresee another one that is going to be beat to death?

Judges scolding corporations that make consumer products that are strictly our choice to buy and ingest, and that are commonly known to be bad for us, makes about as much sense as motorcycle helmet laws. When it comes down to brass tacks it is all a simple textbook case of: “Stupid is as stupid does.”

I see the need for the laws and verdicts however. The most obvious point being that everyone else has to pick up the healthcare tab one way or another to bail out these individual morons who repeatedly step up to the cash resister and chose to purchase these potentially harmful (even lethal) products. Collectively they are a burden.

I reckon money really is the root of all evil.

“I AM depressed.” – Taggart

Fugio, ergo sum.

Blog Entries

Amen.
    Fine Matt, have it your way!

BADUUMP! I'm here all week!

Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud View Post
    Fine Matt, have it your way!

BADUUMP! I'm here all week!
    Very funny!

I went to Costco today, while Chuckie was shopping I had my favorite transfat meal - Poutine, a massive serving of fries and cheese curds topped with gravy. Added some other favorites salt, pepper, viniger and ketchup.
    Keep it simple George Park
    Swimsuit Sale http://www.swimdownhill.com/index.html

Very Active Member

Honestly, I laughed out loud so maybe that was your point. Here are some other lawsuits I am considering filing on behalf of stupid people
    Question: Is there a difference between offering a product that is bad for society (like a cigarette) and manipulating that product to make more money (By enhancing the nicotene level)?

Or if you want to frame this regarding auto safety you could answer this question: there is always a risk when you drive a car so thus if a car manufacturer uses a faulty seat-belt because it is cheaper to manufacture have they really changed the risks involved with driving a car?

I am interested in your answers...

SCY: you were joing about driving your Baby-Beemer 130?

Blog Entries

Goggle manufacturers for producing a product that allows me to swim longer and get pruny skin, dried out skin. Nasty skin is dangerous and unattractive. I need to look my best when I meet Fort and she serves me drinks.
    Only after I manipulate the drink and get paid my $2 million.

Blog Entries

Question: Is there a difference between offering a product that is bad for society (like a cigarette) and manipulating that product to make more money (By enhancing the nicotene level)?
    All you have to do is tell me one single product out there that isn't manipulated to make it more appealing to the consumer. Just one. Capitalism kinda works that way.

Sue 'em all, I say. Leave no product behind.

If you can't afford a safe big car, are you going to sue GM because you can only afford their econo box after you get run over by my urban assault vehicle and get injured?

I was not joking about the speeds I have driven at. Truthfully, it was really not that dangerous. The roads were very remote and in relatively good condition and I have attended some BMW driver schools/car control clinics.

Very Active Member Peter Cruise's Avatar

Matt- I used to say, when I was wearing blue, that I'm not as worried about the driver who goes 130 on remote road, good training etc., as when the minivan full of kids and distracted mom veer suddenly over the middle line (oncoming) 'cause junior just got roadsick all over Mom's lap & the fella at 130 just plain hasn't the time to react properly. He has 130 worth of velocity to contribute to the crash, likely deadly whether transferred to the minivan or to a rollover.
    Life keeps throwing curve balls; the trick, I'm learning, is to duck...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Cruise View Post
    Matt- I used to say, when I was wearing blue, that I'm not as worried about the driver who goes 130 on remote road, good training etc., as when the minivan full of kids and distracted mom veer suddenly over the middle line (oncoming) 'cause junior just got roadsick all over Mom's lap & the fella at 130 just plain hasn't the time to react properly. He has 130 worth of velocity to contribute to the crash, likely deadly whether transferred to the minivan or to a rollover.
    Boy, no soccer mom is going to like you. (I do not drive a mini-van. I like urban assault vehicles.)

Why don't we ban eating TF-laden fast food while driving, ban smoking, ban talking on cell phones altogether (not just require that they be in a handset), ban the radio, ban ipods (except for the barfing kids) and ban all conversation? I'm sure these products have all been manipulated anyway. Then we'll be safer on the road.

If not, we can just let the lawyers take over as Geek suggests and forget about the legislatures. Lotta plaintiffs' lawyers getting rich out there at this point.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast