Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Burger King sued over Trans Fats

Very Active Member scyfreestyler's Avatar

Re: Burger King sued over Trans Fats

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Cruise View Post
    Matt- I used to say, when I was wearing blue, that I'm not as worried about the driver who goes 130 on remote road, good training etc., as when the minivan full of kids and distracted mom veer suddenly over the middle line (oncoming) 'cause junior just got roadsick all over Mom's lap & the fella at 130 just plain hasn't the time to react properly. He has 130 worth of velocity to contribute to the crash, likely deadly whether transferred to the minivan or to a rollover.

True enough, I can't argue with that. I have a theory, quite possibly incorrect, that were people to drive much faster they would pay closer attention to what they are doing and less attention to things that are not important to their safety. Whenever I drive at high speeds the radio is off, windows are up, looking far ahead and through the turns. I remember a family trip we took to Europe where we visited some friends at a military installation in Stuttgart, Germany. The husband drove us all around Germany and Austria rarely dropping below 100 MPH in their Volvo stationwagon. What sticks out in my mind are two things. First, I never saw an accident on any highway we traveled upon. There were many on the surface streets of the city but not a one on the highway. Secondly, the conversations were few and far between in that car. Driving was his #1 priority and there would be plenty of time for chit chat and beer when we reached our destination. The Major was a pilot so he was naturally a very safety aware person but it seemed that most drivers on the highways were courteous and did not take driving for granted as we do here. That is my 5 cents.

To keep it on topic, I still feel that BK should slaughter the originators of this lawsuit in the courtroom. :fingerscrossed:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler View Post
    To keep it on topic, I still feel that BK should slaughter the originators of this lawsuit in the courtroom. :fingerscrossed:
    Won't it just resolve itself the same way the KFC suit did? BK will agree to voluntarily remove TFs (since it's heading in that direction anyway). The advocacy group will withdraw. The case will be dismissed shortly thereafter. I don't see this one as an epic battle. Unless BK digs its feet in for some reason, which would be stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress View Post
    Won't it just resolve itself the same way the KFC suit did? BK will agree to voluntarily remove TFs (since it's heading in that direction anyway). The advocacy group will withdraw. The case will be dismissed shortly thereafter. I don't see this one as an epic battle. Unless BK digs its feet in for some reason, which would be stupid.
    You are correct. I suppose what I am hoping for is that the judge will say that the lawsuit has no basis since BK is already investigating healthier alternatives. Essentially a slap in the face for the advocacy group. You see, I have a real sore spot for these sue happy advocacy groups in general. Certainly there are some arguments that are worthy of a courtroom but so many it seems are not worth the legal paper they are written upon.

Blog Entries

You are correct. I suppose what I am hoping for is that the judge will say that the lawsuit has no basis since BK is already investigating healthier alternatives. Essentially a slap in the face for the advocacy group. You see, I have a real sore spot for these sue happy advocacy groups in general. Certainly there are some arguments that are worthy of a courtroom but so many it seems are not worth the legal paper they are written upon.
    When the judge dismisses the lawsuit, that IS the court saying there is no basis for it, especially if it's out on a (12)(b)(6). The judge could slap them with fees if he/she thought the suit was utterly frivolous. Highly unlikely. Most frivolous suits go unchecked. As for the last sentence,

Next, someone will sue Starbucks for the philosophic sesquipadelian sayings on their coffee cups.

Very Active Member

I was not joking about the speeds I have driven at. Truthfully, it was really not that dangerous. The roads were very remote and in relatively good condition and I have attended some BMW driver schools/car control clinics.
    SCY: this is a debate about public safety and how governance can help protect society. Unfortunately your opinions have absolutely no value in this discussion because ANYONE who drives 130 MPH on public roads has zero concept of their responsibilities to society. I am embarrassed that you would even attempt to justify yourself. BMW driving school? Tell me, who at the school advocates driving 130 on public roads? I don’t think it would be possible to make my point more salient.

Very Active Member Peter Cruise's Avatar

Oh Leslie, I just love it when you cite sections, subsection etc.
    Life keeps throwing curve balls; the trick, I'm learning, is to duck...

Very Active Pirate Blackbeard's Peg's Avatar

I have also heard on a few occassions that the oils that are replacing the trans fats are not really any healthier for us...Dr. Dean has commented about this for sure.
    To comment on this, and touch on the many posts about educating consumers, the ZTF conversion is one of the biggest topics in foodservice right now. Most places have already converted to a ZTF frying oil, and if you look across the country, the prices should be about the same for the different oil.

However, the biggest compliance issues are at the operator level. A ZTF frying oil is only as good as the products put in. Putting in a high trans-fat content product into the fryer, even for a few seconds, will taint your oil, and thus everything else that goes into it.

I would tend to belive that this happens more often than not, thus creating a false sense of healthiness among consumers, but as more and more companies get rid of the transfats in their products, and more and more operators are more careful about their fryers, that should start to change.

Personally, I think this whole thing, while a great thing, is very big brother.
    Why do we always run out of rum?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Cruise View Post
    Oh Leslie, I just love it when you cite sections, subsection etc.
    Oh Peter, I just love it when you try to distract everyone from a good old-fashioned argument with a witticism, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    SCY: this is a debate about public safety and how governance can help protect society. Unfortunately your opinions have absolutely no value in this discussion because ANYONE who drives 130 MPH on public roads has zero concept of their responsibilities to society. I am embarrassed that you would even attempt to justify yourself. BMW driving school? Tell me, who at the school advocates driving 130 on public roads? I don’t think it would be possible to make my point more salient.

None of them advocate it. I am my own man and don't need permission from a driving instructor to exceed the speed limit.

How do you know that I have zero responsiblity with respect to society? Please don't be embarrased for me, you should be embarassed for making such foolish statements about somebody whom you don't even know. You don't know the first thing about me lefty.

I wonder if lefty feels the same way about people who drive 130 MPH on Germany's Autobahns? Or is it just the illegal part that makes her mad? I think those who read the newspaper, apply make up, eat their breakfast, change clothes, etc. while driving are far more of a hazard to society than I was on my quiet little section of highway 25.

But I guess everybody can just disregard everything I say from here on out, lefty has spoken.

Blog Entries

I wonder if lefty feels the same way about people who drive 130 MPH on Germany's Autobahns? Or is it just the illegal part that makes her mad?
    Lefty is a "he." Sorry for the interruption.

Quote Originally Posted by gull View Post
    Lefty is a "he." Sorry for the interruption.
    Thanks for the clarification gull. Not sure how I determined gender in this case but my method obviously has some wrinkles to iron out.

Very Active Member

I wonder if lefty feels the same way about people who drive 130 MPH on Germany's Autobahns? Or is it just the illegal part that makes her mad? I think those who read the newspaper, apply make up, eat their breakfast, change clothes, etc. while driving are far more of a hazard to society than I was on my quiet little section of highway 25.

But I guess everybody can just disregard everything I say from here on out, lefty has spoken.
    Just want to make sure that I am not misrepresnting you: Your defense for your foolish and dangerous behavior is:
    1) BMW driving school
    2) They do it in Germany (actually quite rare, but that is beside the point because I am willing to sede the point that there are foolish people there too)
    3) It is safer than reading the newspaper.
    4) (my personal favorite) You are your own man

6 more of these and I won't have to watch Letterman tonight!

And BTW: you are taking this way to personally. I never said to disregard EVERYTHING you say from here on out. As you aptly pointed out, I don't know you that well. I am sure that you are a fine person and that you and I have a lot in common. That doesn't change the fact that you know nothing (last time I said zero, I think I like that more) about your responsibility for public safety. On that point, I have all the evidense necessary, comically provided by you.

If Lefty were a she, she would spell her name as Leftie. I am billy, a male, if I were a female I would spell it billie. Last week I broke my speed record on ground by doing 140 mph on my motorcycle. But I usually cruise at around 100 mph, which is a confortable speed. Remember when speed limits in all U.S. were 55? Is that still the speed limit in New York State?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fanstone View Post
    If Lefty were a she, she would spell her name as Leftie. I am billy, a male, if I were a female I would spell it billie. Last week I broke my speed record on ground by doing 140 mph on my motorcycle. But I usually cruise at around 100 mph, which is a confortable speed. Remember when speed limits in all U.S. were 55? Is that still the speed limit in New York State?
    Comically, Lefty doesn't know how to spell very well. (sede, evidense)

Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    Just want to make sure that I am not misrepresnting you: Your defense for your foolish and dangerous behavior is:
    1) BMW driving school
    2) They do it in Germany (actually quite rare, but that is beside the point because I am willing to sede the point that there are foolish people there too)
    3) It is safer than reading the newspaper.
    4) (my personal favorite) You are your own man

6 more of these and I won't have to watch Letterman tonight!

And BTW: you are taking this way to personally. I never said to disregard EVERYTHING you say from here on out. As you aptly pointed out, I don't know you that well. I am sure that you are a fine person and that you and I have a lot in common. That doesn't change the fact that you know nothing (last time I said zero, I think I like that more) about your responsibility for public safety. On that point, I have all the evidense necessary, comically provided by you.
    So you still insist that my 130 MPH escapade means that I know nothing about public safety?

You seem to enjoy taking things out of context...I said that reading the newspaper while driving was more dangerous than what I did. Do you disagree? As there were no other cars on this section of road I don't see how I was endangering anybody. If you can figure out who's life I was endangering, aside from my own I suppose, I will buy you a Fastskin II.

I did in fact state that I don't need a driving instructor to tell me that it's okay to drive at high speeds and that I am capable of making my own decisions. Nowhere in this comment did I try to defend my driving by the way..that was one of your attempts to take things out of context once again.

For the record, my JOB has a lot to do with public safety and I do it quite well thank you very much. And, I do take it personally when somebody makes a comment about me that is not factual. As I stated above, my job deals with public safety and I do it quite well and with pride. When somebody like you comes along and thinks that I have no idea about my responsibility for public safety based upon a few high speed runs on a remote section of road, it irks me. You don't know what you are talking about, plain and simple.

I apologize for calling you a girl by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by fanstone View Post
    Your comments are meaningless in this thread Billy...you have traveled too fast on a public roadway.

Kidding of course.

Almost forgot, I would argue that attending BMW driving schools does prepare somebody for high speed driving. They don't suggest doing so on a public roadway but the purpose of the school is to teach you how to control your car at the limit and beyond the limit should you ever find yourself there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress View Post

If not, we can just let the lawyers take over as Geek suggests and forget about the legislatures. Lotta plaintiffs' lawyers getting rich out there at this point.
    What is this the "Geek n Fort kiss and make-up special?"
    Get a room already!

Very Active Member Peter Cruise's Avatar

Matt- my point, I think you took rightly, was what about the stuff beyond your control at that speed. I will never forget my up close and personal experiences with the aftermath of high-speed crashes and how at that moment it is never about who was responsible, but the sheer, usually avoidable, tragedy of it all. Victim next-of-kin notifications were the hardest thing. I don't do that job anymore, but I swore to myself that I would never subject anyone I cared for to either the physical or emotional aftermath of any silly driving (and I had done some, never fear, so don't take offence at the word 'silly') by me. No criticism beyond the salient point intended here.
    Life keeps throwing curve balls; the trick, I'm learning, is to duck...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast