Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Burger King sued over Trans Fats

Dangerous speed on roads:

What I find dangerous is going slow, specially on the left side of the road, in case of double lanes. By slow I mean 30 or 20 mph, or maybe a little more, but still, worse than going fast. Aggressive defensive driving is safer than defensive or no attitude driving. Eating grilled cat-fish and vegetables at the Cracker Barrel is okay. Their coffee tastes good, and just like Wall-Mart, you never know the difference between one and the other in different cities. You can be blind, walk in, go to the bathroom, make a phone call, eat, pay your bill in any of the franchises, never missing a step.

Blog Entries

Re: Burger King sued over Trans Fats

Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud View Post
    What is this the "Geek n Fort kiss and make-up special?"
    Get a room already!

I'm not a plaintiffs' lawyer, as I already said. I just don't want to be told what to eat or who to serve. I can get my own room too. Can we go back to the "comedy" portion of the thread now? Or else I'll have to go speeding off in Mr. Fort's beemer since he's busy arbitrating a frivolous legal matter ... I can tell you his view, even though he's not here. Anything that teaches you to handle your vehicle, including BMW driving school, is a good thing.

Four questions:

Can one go fast in rush hour traffic?

Why is the server busy at 11:00pm when not that many people are on line?

Billy, are you sure you're a doctor, you wild man? LOL.

Matt, why did you think Lefty was a girl?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress View Post

Jim and Rob and going through the PM's...

Very Active Member scyfreestyler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Cruise View Post
    Matt- my point, I think you took rightly, was what about the stuff beyond your control at that speed. I will never forget my up close and personal experiences with the aftermath of high-speed crashes and how at that moment it is never about who was responsible, but the sheer, usually avoidable, tragedy of it all. Victim next-of-kin notifications were the hardest thing. I don't do that job anymore, but I swore to myself that I would never subject anyone I cared for to either the physical or emotional aftermath of any silly driving (and I had done some, never fear, so don't take offence at the word 'silly') by me. No criticism beyond the salient point intended here.

I hear you Peter and I respect your comments as well as the way they were presented.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress View Post
    I'm not a plaintiffs' lawyer, as I already said. I just don't want to be told what to eat or who to serve. I can get my own room too. Can we go back to the "comedy" portion of the thread now? Or else I'll have to go speeding off in Mr. Fort's beemer since he's busy arbitrating a frivolous legal matter ... I can tell you his view, even though he's not here. Anything that teaches you to handle your vehicle, including BMW driving school, is a good thing.

Four questions:

Can one go fast in rush hour traffic?

Billy, are you sure you're a doctor? LOL.

Matt, why did you think Lefty was a girl?
    Not sure why really.

As for the drving school, it's a great idea and there were many people there without BMW's at these events. One of the greatest exercises in the car control clinic portion was steering with the throttle only. You drive in a large circle and eventually begin to control your steering with the throttle while keeping the steering wheel stationary. It takes a fair amount of SPEED and tire smoke but it's great fun and you really get to know your car. For the record, these clinics are very cheap for BMWCCA members. I think I paid $75.00 and that included lunch.

Fort: because of the catfish or the motorcycle? Here is one I've done once and never will do again, but yet, it is in my C.V.: I jumped off a plane wearing a parachute (the type that opens on its own), did a bad landing and didn't do a repeat and so now I am scared of that activity. I do my own cooking everyday so usually I eat well and healthy. The Cracker Barrel thing is just a once every two or more year thing, as I don't live there and there aren't any here. No grits here, no sausages (as in breakfast american sausages), no american grind coffee. billy fanstone

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fanstone View Post
    Fort: because of the catfish or the motorcycle? Here is one I've done once and never will do again, but yet, it is in my C.V.: I jumped off a plane wearing a parachute (the type that opens on its own), did a bad landing and didn't do a repeat and so now I am scared of that activity. I do my own cooking everyday so usually I eat well and healthy. The Cracker Barrel thing is just a once every two or more year thing, as I don't live there and there aren't any here. No grits here, no sausages (as in breakfast american sausages), no american grind coffee. billy fanstone
    I think it was all of the above, plus past comments. LOL.

I can truthfully say that I have never been to a Cracker Barrel. I have never eaten grits either. If we all just drive fast (or slow) and go on the Exxon Mobile diet, we won't have to worry about TFs.
    Last edited by The Fortress; May 18th, 2007 at 08:54 AM.

Those foolish Germans...look where all of that high speed driving has gotten them.

Accident rates
    Despite the prevailing high speeds, the accident, injury and death rates on the Autobahn are remarkably low. The Autobahn carries about a third of all Germany's traffic, but injury accidents on the Autobahn account for only 6% of such accidents nationwide and less than 12% of all traffic fatalities were the result of Autobahn crashes (2004). In fact, the annual fatality rate (3.2 per billion km in 2004) is consistently lower than that of most other superhighway systems, including the US Interstates (5.0 in 2003).

Source: http://gettingaroundgermany.home.att.net/autobahn.htm

And this source supports the above figures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autobahn

Beating a dead horse perhaps but lefty did say that high speeds on public roadways were foolish...it seems that these foolish people from Germany get into far fewer accidents that the uptight safety pups in the US of A.

Places that foreigners or expats go to in the U.S. that might not be interesting for those who live there and could go anytime they wish and take for granted: Wal-Mart, Cracker Barrel, Morrison's, Ponderosa, Circuit City, Best Buy, diverse Outlets, Belz, Fleet Feet, Sports Authority and so forth. The Interstate system is also good, although slow. Dang, I miss getting off the Beltway into I-95 or whatever it is called going south, pure adrenalin.

Quote Originally Posted by aquageek View Post
    So, anyway, Cracker Barrel is the worst restaurant ever built, conceived or created. I avoid it like the plague. Have you ever noticed the rocking chairs outside are double wides to accomodate the patrons? The food couldn't be any greasier or nastier. If we are going to start suing restaurants, we should start with that place.
    My sister gave me a gift card to this place 3 years ago. It is still in a drawer somewhere. Just not my thing.

Very Active Member Leonard Jansen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aquageek View Post
    All you have to do is tell me one single product out there that isn't manipulated to make it more appealing to the consumer. Just one.
    Brussel Sprouts.

QED,
    LBJ
    "Excitable boy" they all said.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dorothyrde View Post
    My sister gave me a gift card to this place 3 years ago. It is still in a drawer somewhere. Just not my thing.
    Dorothy change your post...what if your sister reads this?..it could spark a Family Feud!

Very Active Member FindingMyInnerFish's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard Jansen View Post
    Brussel Sprouts.

QED,
    LBJ
    I resemble that... Brussels sprouts are *very* appealing to *me*! Excellent Inner food.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FindingMyInnerFish View Post
    I resemble that... Brussels sprouts are *very* appealing to *me*! Excellent Inner food.
    Sprouts are awesome with butter, gravy and black pepper...they give you gas though...so they could potentially eliminate the gas causing properties to make them more appealing....

CreamPuff

I thought almost all products were manipulated to increase profit.
    Marketing 101.

Some (not all) drug companies follow the philosophy of "don't cure the problem" but keep the problem at bay by requiring the consumer to take one pill a day for life. Bigger profits. Or how about drug companies trying to reach a larger market audience by using drugs for purposes other than what they were initially intended for?

Or cells phone companies - phones dying "mysteriously" after a certain time frame requiring the consumer to upgrade and buy a new one.

Or "Biggie" sizing fast food portions or restaurant portions. That strategy is used to increase revenue or $$'s in while attempting to convince the consumer that they are getting a better value and more for their money. Ha!

As for brussel sprouts, I heard there was a soda in the works via Jones soda, a premium hip hop brand soda! When you look up their ideas about the soda, most of the articles cite revenue potential and growth. NO JOKE!

CreamPuff

Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    However, when a corporation decides to manipulate their product, and when this manipulation harms the public they have done something wrong.
    I do agree with this statement. The problem is that this occurs frequently and in many industries. Going after Burger King seems silly and hypocritical as there are many other industries and companies doing much more harm to people's health, safety, and/ or well-being.

Many of these companies are structured in that they must answer to numbers (profit). Unfotunately, customer satisfaction and safety are number 100 on the list of concerns. If numbers are met, employees keep their jobs and may receive bonuses. If not, you lose your job. Some executives live by the "it's better to ask for forgiveness" if and when they get caught. In fact many large companies have huge in-house legal departments that estimate the number and cost of lawsuits that they expect on a yearly basis. Often, the profits from doing something unethical or risky MORE than pay for the cost of a large lawsuit. Crazy!

All this being said, I'm still for free enterprise as I feel that inserting yet another corrupt entity (the government) will, at best, not solve anything.

I'm too pessimistic at only 34!

Blog Entries

Lefty, let me clarify something for you about Germany.....the speed limit on the Autobahn is actually around 200 MPH in most parts of the country. People regularly travel at well over 100 MPH, including myself while I was there for four years. The rules of the road over there are very strict, including vehicle maintenance laws.

I saw fewer accidents there in four years then I saw in L.A in 6 months...literally!

Over in Germany you will get a ticket for driving in the left lane if the right lane is clear. If I am driving along at 100 MPH and pull into the left lane to pass and get rear ended by someone going faster, I am at fault for not clearing that lane first before entering it. If I have an accident at 100 MPH but my tires are rated for only up to 80 MPH guess who's at fault....me!

I felt safer driving over there because 99.9% of everyone there follows the rules. We have some of the same rules here, but they are never enforced i.e. "Slower Traffic Keep Right" One simple rule like that could cut down on accidents by, I would guess 20-25% across the board. This simple enforcement would keep slower traffic all the way to the right side of the road. Leaving the left lane open and clear all the time.

I have to agree with SCY here in ref to the people that are driving down the road doing everything but paying attention to driving.....they are far more dangerous and cause way more accidents then any other drivers on the road. The "speeders" that cause the majority of the accidents here in the states are the teenagers who don't have a clue what they are doing. Over in Germany, you can't even get a license until you are 18. Then you have to pay for the school yourself. Over there they consider driving a privilege not a right like most here do....they have to earn the right to drive!

Just my of course!
    "Your body will go places your mind never thought it would go, as long as you are mentally tough enough to push it, drag it or carry it there." Tracy A. Burkholder

"If it is to be......it is up to me!" Author unknown.... got it off the wall at Westminster School in Atlanta.

Breaststroke - For the swimmer who finds the other strokes too easy!!!!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (S)he-Man View Post
    In fact many large companies have huge in-house legal departments that estimate the number and cost of lawsuits that they expect on a yearly basis. Often, the profits from doing something unethical or risky MORE than pay for the cost of a large lawsuit. Crazy!
    My fav jerks are the toxic waster dumpers. They dump toxic waste, knowing that they are in violation of EPA regs (among other things) and that the EPA (and others) will sue them. While battilng away or shortly thereafter, they then engage in protracted litigation with their insurance companies, whom they expect to cover all the damages from from their dumping, which cannot be proved to be intentional. Litigation goes on for years over whether the dumping is covered or not by the policy. Insurance company is then forced to settle, sending more $$ back to the bad dumper.

Tracy:

I agree that the age for driver's licenses should be raised. Not a popular view with teenagers. But I'm not sure I know of a single teenager who hasn't at least been in a fender bender. Where I live the traffic is dense and dangerous. There is already consideration of raising the driving age to 17. Despite the fact that this will prolong my life as a chauffeur, I would prefer it.

Is anyone wondering what Matt's public safety job is?

Quote Originally Posted by (S)he-Man View Post
    I thought almost all products were manipulated to increase profit.
    Marketing 101.

Or cells phone companies - phones dying "mysteriously" after a certain time frame requiring the consumer to upgrade and buy a new one.

All electronics are "programmed" to die within 12 to 72 hours(max) after the warranty expires, whatever warranty the customer buys (one, two or three). I believe the formula is:
    [date-of-death] = [date-of-purchase] + ([length-of-warranty] * 365] + 2)
    (or + 3 if [date-of-death] = "Sat" or "Sun")

Never fails.
    ..... Where, Oh, where did I last see my swimming suit? Oh well!

Quote Originally Posted by geochuck View Post
    I went to Costco today, while Chuckie was shopping I had my favorite transfat meal - Poutine, a massive serving of fries and cheese curds topped with gravy. Added some other favorites salt, pepper, viniger and ketchup.
    George
    That stuff is deadly, unless you dilute it with a few pints............ (Do not dilute before swallowing or eating. "Wash it down with".......... is what I meant to say, as you undoubtedly surmised.)
    ..... Where, Oh, where did I last see my swimming suit? Oh well!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast