Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Sometimes you just gotta say what the f..."

"Sometimes you just gotta say what the f..."

OK....I'm poaching quotes from old movies (Risky Business)....but it does seem to some up the recent weeks...and partly explain the absence from the forum.

Let me try to get the sequence right:

- 3 weeks ago I resigned from my job.....which effectively meant Laura resigned as well since she worked for me.

- 2 weeks ago we put our house in Colorado and committed to live in Arizona full time (basically we committed to move closer to family.

- Without any commitments we considered buying an airstream and packing up the bikes, dogs and swim gear and traveling for 6 months tracking down swimmers from this forum and dropping in on their practices to give top level clinics on poor lane etiquette (Geek...your at the top of the list)

- 13 days ago multiple job offers started to arrive....a couple we're coaching jobs.....not sure yet what the plan is but for now its packing and not training (which was very apparent based on times from a meet last weekend...coming back to altitude from AZ was a bit of a challenge.

- 12 days ago I started sleeping better than I have in years....life is good.

Best of all.....I'm now a teammate of Mr. Commings again which means the abuse can extend beyond this forum!
    I crack myself up. It is jealousy. It is Boredom. I Did not accomplish enough when I was young, and I hate anybody faster/younger than me.

Very Active Member

Re: "Sometimes you just gotta say what the f..."

Paul,

just remember that there are 4 basic rules to keeping life simple and remaining happy:

1) Eat and drink

2) Sleep

3) Eliminate

4) Train

If you are doing anything else, then you need to re-focus your life! Good to see you again at Lowry and watch your up-tempo training swims.
    Mel Dyck
    • Certified Level 2 ASCA Coach

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith View Post
    - 13 days ago multiple job offers started to arrive....a couple we're coaching jobs.....not sure yet what the plan is but for now its packing and not training (which was very apparent based on times from a meet last weekend...coming back to altitude from AZ was a bit of a challenge.
    Dammit I was going to tell you I'm in the market for a freelance coach, and say how beautiful CT is right now...oh but wait...breaststroke isn't your gig right?

Blog Entries

Best of all.....I'm now a teammate of Mr. Commings again which means the abuse can extend beyond this forum!
    But are you on a real team or a superteam?

Well, I'm glad your mid-life crisis is permitting you to sleep better. I think a break from high stress jobs and around the clock training has to be a good thing. Carry on. Still drinking wine though, right?

Congratulations!! That took guts.

I have heard from several of my very successful friends that being fired was the best thing that ever could have happen. I guess saying "What the f..." is just as good.

</IMG>
    I keep telling my coaches, "I am a sprinter" and "they keep saying you swim short races, but that is not the same thing." - Some Girl

Blog Entries

Anyone need a finance grad? Class of 2004

Blog Entries

Hey if you head to Chicago (or really the 'burbs) let me know. We'll set up a training date and clinic if you are interested.

Congrats! Very exciting. Let's all move to Arizona and train with Paul & Jeff, who's in?
    "I don't race to see who is the fastest, I race to see who has the most guts."

Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud View Post
    Yes, the US Military as a Civilian. Look into the Internship Programs (especially the USAF Palace Acquirer). They will pay for advanced schooling (Comptrollers go to Syracuse), then you intern as a GS-9, GS-11, GS-13 (a year each). Your obligation is 3 years after as a GS-13 or higher.

Good pay, great benefits, and you cannot be deployed as the military does.
    I keep telling my coaches, "I am a sprinter" and "they keep saying you swim short races, but that is not the same thing." - Some Girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slowswim View Post
    Yes, the US Military as a Civilian. Look into the Internship Programs (especially the USAF Palace Acquirer). They will pay for advanced schooling (Comptrollers go to Syracuse), then you intern as a GS-9, GS-11, GS-13 (a year each). Your obligation is 3 years after as a GS-13 or higher.

I'm a bit old and worn for deployment unless the proverbial really hits the propeller!

That's really interesting, Bill. I grew up about 4 miles from the Army Finance Center at Ft. Harrison. I knew a lot of people (civies and not) who worked finance for the Army. Many retired when the base was (mostly) closed down, but it was a good career.
    "...it is but well to be on friendly terms with all the inmates of the place one lodges in."
    Melville, Moby Dick

My husband's office is always looking for financial people but they'd have to live in *gasp* DC area. Maybe swim with Fort or Muppet.

Paul, congrats on everything looking so much rosier.

Alison

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swimshark View Post
    My husband's office is always looking for financial people but they'd have to live in *gasp* DC area. Maybe swim with Fort or Muppet.

Alison

...anyone know a good (cheap) divorce lawyer, I'll need to come out on top so I can move to DC...

...anyone know a good (cheap) divorce lawyer, I'll need to come out on top so I can move to DC...

Fort:

You up for the job? You'd be a local and gain a team mate.

Blog Entries

Fort:

You up for the job? You'd be a local and gain a team mate.
    I'm not cheap. In any event, if he wants to come out well in the divorce, it won't be cheap. Besides, he doesn't like the traffic near my pool.

I'll say it. WTF. I think I need to have a mid-life crisis like Paul. I thought for awhile that masters swimming was my mid-life crisis. But I'm still suffering from lifestyle burnout. I need a month vacation or so at some glamorous beach where people bring me cool drinks and I don't move from my chair.

Very Active Member Peter Cruise's Avatar

Leslie- I suspect that the closest we'll come to your vision is when our respective kids put us in a nursing home and we're served lukewarm coffee while strapped to lounge chairs while Larry King blares on the community TV.
    Life keeps throwing curve balls; the trick, I'm learning, is to duck...

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Congratulations Paul
    Sounds like you made a great decision.

Come visit Austin, we have a decent pool
    Plus I have a guest house (not too fancy) and motor home hook up on my property which looks down on the San Marcos river
    you can see our family photo on the river at: http://suzanneburnes.com
    The guest house looks down on the 2 huge cypress trees we're sitting beside

Have fun abusing Jeff, maybe goodsmith will miss you

ande

OK....I'm poaching quotes from old movies (Risky Business)....but it does seem to some up the recent weeks...and partly explain the absence from the forum.

Let me try to get the sequence right:

- 3 weeks ago I resigned from my job.....which effectively meant Laura resigned as well since she worked for me.

- 2 weeks ago we put our house in Colorado and committed to live in Arizona full time (basically we committed to move closer to family.

- Without any commitments we considered buying an airstream and packing up the bikes, dogs and swim gear and traveling for 6 months tracking down swimmers from this forum and dropping in on their practices to give top level clinics on poor lane etiquette (Geek...your at the top of the list)

- 13 days ago multiple job offers started to arrive....
    a couple were coaching jobs.....
    not sure yet what the plan is but for now its packing and not training
    (which was very apparent based on times from a meet last weekend...coming back to altitude from AZ was a bit of a challenge.

- 12 days ago I started sleeping better than I have in years.... life is good.

Last edited by ande; June 13th, 2007 at 12:07 AM.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

are we writing from experience?

the other day Eddie told me this joke that one of his swimmers told him

Why is divorce so expensive?

Because it's worth it

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress View Post
    I'm not cheap. In any event, if he wants to come out well in the divorce, it won't be cheap. Besides, he doesn't like the traffic near my pool.

I'll say it. WTF. I think I need to have a mid-life crisis like Paul. I thought for awhile that masters swimming was my mid-life crisis. But I'm still suffering from lifestyle burnout. I need a month vacation or so at some glamorous beach where people bring me cool drinks and I don't move from my chair.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Cruise View Post
    Leslie- I suspect that the closest we'll come to your vision is when our respective kids put us in a nursing home and we're served lukewarm coffee while strapped to lounge chairs while Larry King blares on the community TV.
    Argh. Don't say that. Lukwarm coffee? Can I ate least watch Star Wars or LOTR re-runs? I've been having dreams of beaches and Paris, as I sit in traffic and drive around to kids' practices. I think Paul should at least report on whether he is enjoying his mid-life crisis ...

Ande:

Litigation is always expensive and best avoided unless you're a rich corporation or well funded organization.

Divorce is hard. But, as Eddie observed, bad marriages are equally difficult. I think being a divorce lawyer would be an awful job. You're dealing with people saying "what the f..." all the time, while being emotional wrecks. Yuck. You have to carefully choose your "what the f ...s." What's your next one?

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

reminds me of the lawyers prayer:
    "Lord thank you for providing those who sue my solvent client."
    Think I'll stay married
    I'm not sure what my next WTF will be
    I thought it was to stop pulling on the lanerope in backstroke but I didn't quit today.

What's yours gonna be?

ande

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress View Post
    Ande:

Litigation is always expensive and best avoided unless you're a rich corporation or well funded organization.

Divorce is hard. But, as Eddie observed, bad marriages are equally difficult. I think being a divorce lawyer would be an awful job. You're dealing with people saying "what the f..." all the time, while being emotional wrecks. Yuck. You have to carefully choose your "what the f ...s." What's your next one?

Blog Entries

Hey Paul-
    Good to see ya back on here. When I was out in Denver you spoke about Ohio. Great job opening for USS swim coach at pool I swim at. Large team with plenty of studly swimmers. Same coach also coach high school team which is another great program and great school system!

I've been going thru mid life myself, but think its more work burnout than anything. I am on call 7x24x365 a year for work. Really can stress me out at times knowing Im always on call and might get a call on weekend and have to take a 4hr trip somewhere in Ohio. Ive thought about finding something new but I always go back to the positives/negatives and so far the positives are more than the negatives.

Greg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast