Thread: looking for indoor swimming in Phoenix

Participating Member

looking for indoor swimming in Phoenix

Does anyone know of place for year round indoor swimming in the Phoenix area? Really looking for a little known place without any extras or amenities. Not interested in fitness chains with high pressure sales tactics. Getting sunburned from outdoor swimming concerns me. Maybe I would be ok with a good sunblock.

Phoenix, AZ

Re: looking for indoor swimming in Phoenix

The downtown YMCA has a 4-lane 25 yard indoor pool. At least as of a couple of years ago they had a small, low-key masters program that worked out around lunchtime. Nice group of folks; definitely not a fancy-gym vibe.

Brophy Masters (outdoors) has early morning and evening workouts in addition to noon; I think this is true for Sun Devil Masters as well. The sun can be brutal during those noon workouts; I also worry about getting too much exposure. Noon tends to be the best time for me, though, so I just load up on sunscreen and live with the risk.

Very Active Member Kurt Dickson's Avatar

Chains suck but have the best deals and don't close for a day when some kid takes a dump in the water like the YMCAs I've been to (glendale). I usually go to LA Fitness (no backstroke flags which kinda sucks and explains why my turns kinda suck as well) and are open if you have a desire to swim at 3 am after a particularly brutal day at work.

Many of the 24 hour fitness places have like small 3-lane pools that are designated for lap swimming, outside of the water aerobics class times.

It's really small and dingy, but quiet and indoors.

Just a thought.