Thread: Which club is best?

Participating Member

Cool Which club is best?

I used to swim competitevely as a child but I have been away from the pool for far too long. I want to get back in shape and compete but I feel that on top of the regular training I need a coach that will help me improve my technique. Is there a club that will help somebody like me become a competitive swimmer?? Or is it mostly people that really know what they are doing? I want to be in kick ass shape! help?

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Re: Which club is best?

That's kind of a hard question to answer because it depends a lot on where you are now and what you're looking for. There are a lot of clubs in the area and I don't know of any that limits membership to experienced swimmers. But they're all different.

For example, Red Tide and NYCHydras are both intensely competition oriented, so they might not be the best clubs to join if you're not comfortable with competing yet. Asphalt Green is a little more laid back, plus they have professional coaching and private lessons available ($$$), so it may be more what you're looking for. But there are also some new clubs that have started recently (like the Vanderbilt Y).

You really should get in touch with the coaches to see if the clubs are what you're looking for.

BTW -- if you haven't found it yet, there's a list of local teams on the Metro LMSC website (www.metroswim.org) under "Places to Swim."