Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temperature Drop!

Very Active Member

Temperature Drop!

After a horrid heat wave, our weather in NJ is now in the 60's, rainy, cloudy and miserable. The outdoor pool I swim in is 68 degrees! I don't own a wetsuit. Any advice on swimming outside in this cold water? I usually swim 4000 yards so by about 1000 yards, my bones and muscles start to chill. I do prefer cooler water temps - in the mid 70's, but this is tough, since the air temp is so cool. The air temperature is supposed to go up to 90 in two days, which should raise water to about 70-72. Thanks for any advice!

Re: Temperature Drop!

Not a heated pool? That's freezing.

Swim fast and kick a TON.

Blog Entries

Outdoor pools here have been 90+ for the past month, don't complain.

Very Active Member scyfreestyler's Avatar

Move.

Very Active Member

Same problem here in PA except I swim in the evening so NO sun to warm up the water AND we're got the sun setting shortly after 8pm (for an 8pm start time).

Municipal pool--not heated but 50 meters. They're looking to replace it with a heated pool and we're PRAYING that we still get a 50 meter pool instead of some kind of water park. It's a community pool NOT an area pool.

The only outdoor pools that were not heated that I've ever been in were at hotels and apartment complexes. They really make outdoor lap pools without heating? Is this an east coast thing? Do they get covered at night? Brrr... makes me to shiver just thinking about swimming in the cold in a cold pool.

Very Active Member jim clemmons's Avatar

Wear two caps.
    Jim

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tovah View Post
    The only outdoor pools that were not heated that I've ever been in were at hotels and apartment complexes. They really make outdoor lap pools without heating? Is this an east coast thing? Do they get covered at night? Brrr... makes me to shiver just thinking about swimming in the cold in a cold pool.
    Outdoor pools in the NY/NJ area are generally open for only two months of the year (July and August) when it can get really hot. So the pool operators don't see the need for heating.

I have the same problem as renie -- my facility's indoor pool has been closed all summer for renovations (due to reopen in about a week ) and our outdoor pool is freezing after four or five days of cold rainy weather.

Very Active Member

When the pool was built about 30 years ago the decision to not heat it was done due to budget considerations. It is a municipal pool (not a private pool) and the community didn't see the need to heat it. It is a 50 meter pool with either 8 or 9 lanes, a diving well and a shallow area (pool is Z shaped).

the pool opens in May for the high school swim team (they wear wet suits), and to the public on Memorial Day. The pool closes on Labor Day. As luck would have it--we generally have another 2-3 weeks of VERY warm weather where an outdoor pool would be welcome. The other problem is a lack of lighting in both the pool and the grounds. Very hard to swim late at night (meaning 8pm-9pm) in the dark.

The pool is scheduled to be replaced in about 1-2 years. It is an aluminum pool and has outlived its' expected lifetime. More than likely--the next pool will be heated. All that means is that when the community starts swimming on Memorial Day--the pool will be warm. What we're hoping is that the little blue-haired ladies don't start complaining that the pool is "too cold" and the operators then zoom the temp up to the high 80s. It's one thing to swim in the high 80s due to NATURAL heating vs someone playing with the thermostat!

I hope you don't get a water park. That is what happened here, no more 50 meter pool.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
    Not a heated pool? That's freezing.

Swim fast and kick a TON.
    Not heated, which I am happy for, because it would exceed 100 in July. I would swim fast if I could. I start out feeling ok, then within 1/2 hour or so, muscles start to feel R E A L L Y H E A V Y and it's like swimming through sand after awhile. Now if it were 90 out, I could handle it. But 60, rainy and cloudy? Brutal.

Blog Entries

Our outdoor pool decided to close at 6 because nobody showed up for open swim. Needless to say I was not happy at 6:30 when I had to go inside to the 25Y pool, which was mobbed. Trying to swim 7x500's is a real burden in there...I lost count and got dizzy from all the flipturns...

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by msgrupp View Post
    Same problem here in PA except I swim in the evening so NO sun to warm up the water AND we're got the sun setting shortly after 8pm (for an 8pm start time).

Municipal pool--not heated but 50 meters. They're looking to replace it with a heated pool and we're PRAYING that we still get a 50 meter pool instead of some kind of water park. It's a community pool NOT an area pool.
    Where in PA? I'm in NJ. There is one advantage -- in the evening, the water has warmed up a bit. Good luck with your new pool.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud View Post
    I lost count and got dizzy from all the flipturns...
    Ah, good news, you are flipping now.h

Blog Entries

Our outdoor pool decided to close at 6 because nobody showed up for open swim. Needless to say I was not happy at 6:30 when I had to go inside to the 25Y pool, which was mobbed. Trying to swim 7x500's is a real burden in there...I lost count and got dizzy from all the flipturns...

PLUS it was cold and I wanted a cold swim to get used to the feel for OW.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud View Post
    I lost count and got dizzy from all the flipturns...
    Ah, good news, you are flipping now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aquageek View Post
    Ah, good news, you are flipping now.
    beautifully too I might add...I just don't push off hard if it is for OW distance conditioning...

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by msgrupp View Post

the pool opens in May for the high school swim team (they wear wet suits), and to the public on Memorial Day. The pool closes on Labor Day. As luck would have it--we generally have another 2-3 weeks of VERY warm weather where an outdoor pool would be welcome.

Isn't that the truth? Here we are freezing, and once our outdoor unheated pools close, we will have weeks of "Indian" summer--hot, humid and hazy days where we are forced to swim indoors in overheated indoor pools.

The pool is scheduled to be replaced in about 1-2 years. It is an aluminum pool and has outlived its' expected lifetime. More than likely--the next pool will be heated. All that means is that when the community starts swimming on Memorial Day--the pool will be warm. What we're hoping is that the little blue-haired ladies don't start complaining that the pool is "too cold" and the operators then zoom the temp up to the high 80s. It's one thing to swim in the high 80s due to NATURAL heating vs someone playing with the thermostat!
    Don't get me started on this! Those little old ladies control every college/YMCA/gym I have ever swam in over the last 20 years! I start out in a pool where the temp is 78-80 max, and somehow it ends up with the heat cranked up to 85 and the water 82-83. It is horrific to really push iunder such conditions. Yet put me outside in 82 degree water and I'm ok under the blue sky, clear air and gentle breezes. No comparison. If I were rich, I would open a workout pool that was never above 78! I paid good money to join a gym - my contract states the lap pool is to be maintained at 78. There is a therapy pool and a hot tub. The "Aqua" classes are supposed to be in the therapy pool but many of the seniors say it is too hot, so they use the lap pool, then complain it's too cold! What does management do? Crank up the temp in the lap pool! I've been disputing this for years - finally, thanks to Masters Swim members, they've at least compromised with 80 - one less degree and it would be optimal. IMO, 80 is too hot indoors with the heater at full blast.

I have a wetsuit (sleeveless) and use it any time the temp drops below 78. I hate being cold. I've swam in 90+ and prefer it. I don't like the feeling I'm sweating in the water, but I don't have to get in the whirlpool or sauna to stop shivering.

I grow up in the south and have never gotten climatized to cool/cold weather/temps.

I second the "move" idea.
    I keep telling my coaches, "I am a sprinter" and "they keep saying you swim short races, but that is not the same thing." - Some Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Slowswim View Post
    I hate being cold. I've swam in 90+ and prefer it.
    I grow up in the south and have never gotten climatized to cool/cold weather/temps.
    Ditto here.

You grew up in, more or less, latitude 33.76 N (Atlanta's coordinates).
    I grew up 3+ degrees (deeper) South of you (Cairo 30.02 N)
    ..... Where, Oh, where did I last see my swimming suit? Oh well!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast